Main Menu

Read Jitte again?

Started by imppu, 20-01-2009, 09:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imppu

One reason for Jitte's banning was "Because the equipped creature only needs to deal damage, not combat damage, Jitte is almost always impossible to handle.". I went to read my Jitte over and over again. It always reads combat damage. I even went to read the card on oracle (http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=81979) and it says combat damage too. I like the fact Jitte means you have to have hate against it in any deck. But the answers are not that hard to find. Tons of good artifact destruction can be fit in any deck and Jitte hates any creature that can sacrife itself for anything. I don't really see why you think it's so powerfull. I remember winning a draft game during the times of Kamigawa when my opponent played turn 1 creature and turn 2 jitte. And no he didn't run out of creatures nor did I destroy the Jitte. Turn 3 equip just turns Glacial Ray into nice wasted turns 1 and 3. I think I can live with it's banning, but I have serious problems keeping myself alive with that sentence in the reasons list. If you really thought the card doesn't say combat damage, please unban it :) If not, please remove those words in the reasons list, makes someone look like he doesn't know what he is doing. Don't hate me for this, cheers.

pyyhttu

Quote from: ImppuOne reason for Jitte's banning was "Because the equipped creature only needs to deal damage, not combat damage, Jitte is almost always impossible to handle."

Could you at least mention the source you got your claim from?

Your question about the banning of Jitte would've been avoided if there had been a proper documentation in the first place, right?

Due to magicplayer.org lacking permalinks, I can only point you to http://www.magicplayer.org/?id=home_2 and do ctrl-f "jitte" couple of times there. The banning of Jitte is covered there, in Deutsch.

Was this a satisfactory answer?

Edit: I had to link you to Google translate but no permalinks there either.

Mythrandir

well, perhaps what they meant was combat damage to a player.

i think Highlander is still very imbued into germany, so it's a bit hard to ousiders to have some info, but i think that trend is slowly being altered.
There was a justification for each card this last time (even though in dutch) and the fact that our HL league in the international forum is becoming mroe and more international.

Even WOTC recognizes this a variant as having lots of players (especially if you add EDH).

But i think things could be worse.

Hope to hear some insights on the non combat damage from the germany community here :)

imppu

Quote from: pyyhttu on 20-01-2009, 10:09:40 PM
Quote from: ImppuOne reason for Jitte's banning was "Because the equipped creature only needs to deal damage, not combat damage, Jitte is almost always impossible to handle."

Could you at least mention the source you got your claim from?
From the 'official' announcements on the english forums. http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=31.0

Georg B

Yeah ok, thats wrong written.
In the discussions in the german forum it was argued that Jitte does not have to deal damage to players but also to creature to get its counters is a too strong fact.
Most equipments can be stopped by blocking the equipped creature, Jitte can't.

Thats the reason.
I'll send Sturmgott a message that he should change it.

Sturmgott

Mea culpa. Of course we meant "the equipped creature only needs to deal combat damage at all, not necessarily to a player".

imppu

It's starting to make sense. I belive others have cried enough on Jitte's behalf so I'm going to leave it here. Thanks.

SpecialBats

Because Sword of Fire and Ice is just as good or better in this format, I think jitte should be unbanned. It's a good card and aggro will play it, it will be a bomb when it's played, but it's okay for aggro to have a bomb, the game is not over when it resolves and creatures can still still be dealt with.. SO yeah.

The thing is, people accuse Highlander of being a carebear format, of instantly banning any good card that's not a part of the pseudo-power. Especially compared to its partner, EDH, which has an impressively short banned list with the only questionable card in that format being Zur the Enchanter. I definitely agree that the banned list should be shortened and Jitte is the first and most obvious cut from it.

Mythrandir

Quote from: SpecialBats on 09-05-2009, 12:26:33 AM
Because Sword of Fire and Ice is just as good or better in this format, I think jitte should be unbanned. It's a good card and aggro will play it, it will be a bomb when it's played, but it's okay for aggro to have a bomb, the game is not over when it resolves and creatures can still still be dealt with.. SO yeah.

The thing is, people accuse Highlander of being a carebear format, of instantly banning any good card that's not a part of the pseudo-power. Especially compared to its partner, EDH, which has an impressively short banned list with the only questionable card in that format being Zur the Enchanter. I definitely agree that the banned list should be shortened and Jitte is the first and most obvious cut from it.

EDH is a very different format than ours, the only things that are the same are the singleton rule and 100 card rule.
They start out with 40 life! That's the double from we start, that would take a huge blow on aggro decks.
They have a general which hugely influences game strategy. So don't try and compare the two formats ;)

Swords are more expensive than jitte. If jitte gets through, they get 3 very relevant abilities in Highlander: removal, lifegain and pump (damage). There are plenty of (good) equipments out there, specially since Alara reborn came out.