Main Menu

UGW-Oath

Started by Vazdru, 04-01-2009, 02:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

I've tried to build an oath-list which isn't that fragile to non-basic hate. That's the result:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
    1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
    1 [B ] Tundra
    1 [B ] Tropical Island
    1 [ON] Polluted Delta
    1 [FUT] Tolaria West
    1 [ON] Flooded Strand
    1 [R] Savannah
    1 [ON] Windswept Heath
    1 [ON] Secluded Steppe
    1 [CHK] Forbidden Orchard
    4 [UG] Plains
    1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 [TE] Wasteland
    1 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
    1 [ON] Tranquil Thicket
    1 [DK] Maze of Ith
    1 [OD] Cephalid Coliseum
    1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
    1 [LG] Karakas
    6 [UG] Island
    1 [UL] Faerie Conclave
    1 [UL] Treetop Village
    4 [UG] Forest
    1 [ON] Lonely Sandbar

// Creatures
    1 [MR] Platinum Angel
    1 [ALA] Hellkite Overlord
    1 [ALA] Empyrial Archangel
    1 [LE] Akroma, Angel of Wrath

// Spells
    1 [TSP] Ancestral Vision
    1 [SH] Mox Diamond
    1 [OV] Zuran Orb
    1 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
    1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    1 [UL] Crop Rotation
    1 [US] Exploration
    1 [5E] Brainstorm
    1 [LRW] Ponder
    1 [6E] Enlightened Tutor
    1 [10E] Condemn
    1 [VI] Tithe
    1 [B ] Swords to Plowshares
    1 [LG] Land Tax
    1 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    1 [MR] Sylvan Scrying
    1 [EX] Oath of Druids
    1 [RAV] Life from the Loam
    1 [RAV] Farseek
    1 [OD] Moment's Peace
    1 [ST] Nature's Lore
    1 [JU] Krosan Reclamation
    1 [R] Regrowth
    1 [UL] Miscalculation
    1 [RAV] Remand
    1 [AL] Lat-Nam's Legacy (1)
    1 [MOR] Negate
    1 [NE] Daze
    1 [VI] Impulse
    1 [8E] Mana Leak
    1 [TE] Scroll Rack
    1 [IN] Sterling Grove
    1 [RAV] Muddle the Mixture
    1 [TE] Counterspell
    1 [LG] Mana Drain
    1 [FD] Condescend
    1 [LRW] Faerie Trickery
    1 [OV] Dissipate
    1 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    1 [TSP] Search for Tomorrow
    1 [TE] Intuition
    1 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
    1 [MOR] Idyllic Tutor
    1 [LRW] Crib Swap
    1 [JU] Solitary Confinement
    1 [FUT] Coalition Relic
    1 [DS] Darksteel Ingot
    1 [LG] Moat
    1 [U ] Wrath of God
    1 [NE] Parallax Wave
    1 [IN] Fact or Fiction
    1 [CHK] Gifts Ungiven
    1 [UD] Replenish
    1 [RAV] Faith's Fetters
    1 [ON] Future Sight
    1 [MM] Misdirection
    1 [AL] Force of Will
    1 [MR] Gilded Lotus
    1 [MR] Mindslaver
    1 [LRW] Jace Beleren
    1 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker

Platinum Angel isn't that bad as most guys thinking. The Angel won me the game vs R/G-Beatz.

I would add Pulse of the Fields + Renewed Faith next time.

Matches:

1st: 2:0 UW-Control - an early Intuition on Wasteland, Cycleland, Life from the Loam won me the game twice
2nd: 1:2 R/G-Beatz (Kavu) - i've lost game 3 while trying to hardcast Empyrial Archangel :O (Rhystic Lightning)
3rd: 1:0 Survival-Reveillark (Dan, 9th at GP) - I've played Tormod's Crypt three times before I've won that game
4th: 1:1 Elves! - he started with 1. Elf, 2. Rofellos, 3. Garruk - too fast for me in game 2 // i think i would have won game 3 but time-out
5th: 2:0 R/G-Beatz (Jochen Korbel, 4th at GP) - bad luck for him

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Mythrandir

I´ve just noticed that you play replenish. nice touch

Also mindslaver + academy.

Do you think that a straight oath + fattie doesnt give you enough options to win?

It seems now, it mythic rarity, almost every mythic creature is a fattie (at least in terms of CMC), so i think there will be some sweet fatties for oath.

I also like you LFTL + tolaria west. you have a lot of 0 CMC targets and i experienced that first hand.

i was just wondering if bant charm wouldnt be nice in your deck, since it can save your creature, however i really dont see space for it.

Vazdru

Changed following cards:

+ Pulse of the Fields // - Mindslaver
+ Renewed Faith // - Platinum Angel
+ Path to Exile // - Parallax Wave
+ Forest // - Cephalid Coliseum
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

eev

In our meta there is no oath deck, so i dont have expirience with this deck. just one question, for example how good can play this deck if it meets Hide/Seek or for example Wipe Clean (cards that some people playing in our meta)?

MarcMagic

u can still win even w/o oath. either u can hardcast ur creatures, or got manlands. if u couldnt there is still the play where u keep counterbackup to save ur oath.

â,¬: u also got decree of justice and garruk to win.

eev

i understand that this deck has victory conditions without Oath, even if some are so-so, like Decree of justice. My question was more about how hard is usually to win with Oath rfg. I thought maybe someone with Oath deck has experience in matchups vs some archetypes which play named cards. Just interesting because never saw Oath deck in action.

Mythrandir

Quote from: eev on 12-02-2009, 02:03:41 AM
In our meta there is no oath deck, so i dont have expirience with this deck. just one question, for example how good can play this deck if it meets Hide/Seek or for example Wipe Clean (cards that some people playing in our meta)?

i think you're better Hide/seeking his LFTL than oath

eev

why lftl? if there is no Oath then lftl engine can put creatures in GY, and in the list presented above i can see only regrowth, what can take creatures back. That means lftl can make deck to loose any win condition, because u can not count on manlands without strong removal or burn backup.

Mythrandir

Quote from: eev on 12-02-2009, 11:54:32 PM
why lftl? if there is no Oath then lftl engine can put creatures in GY, and in the list presented above i can see only regrowth, what can take creatures back. That means lftl can make deck to loose any win condition, because u can not count on manlands without strong removal or burn backup.

LFTL enables solitari confiment/zuran orb and a great draw engine with cycle lands that gives him a lot of card advantage. He then just has to hard cast a fattie. he has regrowth + krosan reclamation.

Also garruk is a winning condition and so is his manlands (which with LFTL are a bit "indestructible"). Man lands have won me inumerous matches, they are really good agains non-instant removal.

But i can see a aggro player Hide/SEEKING his oath instead.

Nkiro

I think I would change the creatures.

Bringing in progenitus, and Magister Sphinx for a two turn kill.with a creature that I think in this game condition is beter then akroma, ans it resists to more things, and with another that when comes into play sets the field for the other to swing and you to win.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Nkiro on 01-04-2009, 10:22:24 AM
I think I would change the creatures.

Bringing in progenitus, and Magister Sphinx for a two turn kill.with a creature that I think in this game condition is beter then akroma, ans it resists to more things, and with another that when comes into play sets the field for the other to swing and you to win.

Magister sphinx in this tricolor version is really, really hard to hardcast, and even if it was in a 5C it is still too fragile to spot removal, bounce and even fire, incinerate + shock.., only has flying, so i block with bop... not good enough. akroma has Pro R and B which are the (mainly) colors of burn/removal.
i would run inkwell leviathan over that one.

Progenitus i still think is a possibility.