Main Menu

My Take on Skies

Started by Nastaboi, 03-11-2008, 10:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastaboi

Many believe Ux Skies to be the best deck in the format right now. Splash colour varies. White gives tutors, some removal and life gain. Black gives tutors and removal. Red gives moons and removal. Green gives Survival. I have not mentioned creatures as I believe splashing just for creatures doesn't pay off. I have decided to keep it monocoloured with following premises:

1. 1/1 dorks are awful. Rishadan Airship hits in two turns same amount of damage they would do in six. No one power creatures, unless they draw cards.

2. Counters are good.

3. As few situational cards as possible. Specially no conditional card draw.

4. Manabase has to support both B2B and Winter Orb. The latter is done by running karoos and talismans which gives the deck enough mana potential to handle its high curve.

5. Try to have at least some game against other creature decks.

// Mana (34+7)

21 Island
    Wasteland
    Rishadan Port
    Academy Ruins
    Faerie Conclave
    Mutavault
    Mishra's Factory
    Blinkmoth Nexus
    City of Traitors
    Ancient Tomb
    Izzet Boilerworks
    Dimir Aqueduct
    Azorius Chancery
    Simic Growth Chamber

Mox Diamond
    Chrome Mox

Talisman of Progress
    Talisman of Dominance
    Mind Stone
    Guardian Idol

AEther Vial <- set at 3

// Fishes (21)

Sygg, River Cutthroat <- great blocker
    Inkfathom Infiltrator
    Looter il-Kor

Rishadan Airship
    Sea Drake
    Kira, Great Glass-Spinner <- Why are people not running this but crap like Rebuff the Wicked?
    Cloud Spirit
    Serendib Efreet
    Vendilion Clique
    Pestermite
    Man-o'-War
    Augury Adept
    Wasp Lancer
    Cold-Eyed Selkie <- Always unblockable
    Wake Thrasher <- Is big

Masticore
    Sower of Temptation
    Venser, Shaper Savant

Mulldrifter
    Razormane Masticore <- premise 5
    Meloku the Clouded Mirror

// Gear (5)

Sword of Light and Shadow
    Sword of Fire and Ice
    Grafted Wargear
    Loxodon Warhammer <- pr. 5
    Sigil of Distinction

// Counters (15)

Daze
    Thwart
    Foil
    Force of Will
    Misdirection

Force Spike
    Spell Snare

Memory Lapse
    Mana Drain
    Remand
    Miscalculation
    Mana Leak
    Counterspell
    Negate

Cryptic Command

// Brake pedal (4)

Winter Orb
    Tangle Wire
    Back to Basics
    Propaganda

// Other forms of control (6)

Maze of Ith
    Psionic Blast
    Rushing River
    Vedalken Shackles
    Control Magic
    Treachery

// Card draw or similar (5)

Gush
    Thirst for Knowledge
    Compulsive Research <- new addition, has been great
    Fact or Fiction
    Gifts Ungiven <- not overly broken here, but too good not to run

// Open Slots (3)

Ancestral Visions <- takes forever to resolve, don't really like it
    Drift of Phantasms <- gets B2B and almost everything, but might be too slow
    Dominus of Fealty <- Used to play Though Devourer in this slot. Practical CC 6, haven't really seen him in action yet

Some other cards I'm considering:

Riftwing Cloudscate - hot or not, don't really know. I just cutter Infiltrator il-Kor.
Trinker Mage - was in the deck once, then I decided that cards he was getting were not too strong. With Sigil now in the deck, I might reconsider him.
Chalice of the Void - no problem setting it at one, but will it do any good? Could help in bad matchups though.
Latchkey Faerie - I have reasonable amount of faeries and rogues, but I cast him with four mana one time too many.
Intuition - in this deck it would be more like card draw that doesn't miss.
Mind Harness - just a thought for a creature-heavy metagame. Then again, this might not the deck to play in such a meta.
Boomerang, Turbulent Dreams - is more bounce needed?

Critics and suggestions welcome as always.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Mythrandir

well, whether UW/UG/UR (never seen an UB) is better than mono U skies i wont argue with you, but you just increased your mana curve way up.
Skies is all about putting wennies (even if 1/1, evasion preferably) and then countering stuff, thus gaining in tempo.
Not only this, but you decreased your aggro cards in favor of more control/defense cards (maze + propaganda), you increased your nonbasic lands (which is bad if you happen to draw BTB) and also mana artifacts and more lands (34+7, skies runs about 26) means late game awful draws.

I´m not saying it's a bad deck, but that is just a bit different in the concept which is U(x) skies.

If u need testin let me know.

Vazdru

Thanks for perspective on skies! I think you had some good analysis. Your suggestion maybe helps me to improve my UW-build even a bit more.

Something i would definately change in your build:

• The strength is the low land count you are able to play in any kind of skies deck. 34 is too much in my opinion. Sturmgott plays round 24 in his build, me 25.
  • Do not use any kind of tapped lands and/or nonbasics except Wasteland, Fetchies and a few duals - you don't wanna suffer from your biggest strengths Back to Basics and Winter Orb
  • Augury Adept and controlish stuff like this aren't strong enough - that way you always lose long-term vs UW-Control (more Card-Draw + Cleansweeper) or faster Decks (RG, RDW, Zoo)
  • Drop that 5CC-Stuff (for reasons have a look above) especially Mulldrifter is not a card for skies but for UW-Control
  • in my opinion you have to play more fishes -> Fathom Seer is a must, Gilded Drake too (at least if you play some bounce), Spiketails are great stuff, especially to protect a winter orb or b2b, i tested riftwing Cloudskate and its great
  • I'm a great fan of mask of Memory, Curiosity and Empyrial Plate (Fathom Seer, Gush, Sea Drake and in my deck Land Tax too of course)
Your suggestions i think about:

- Aether Vial (could be a nice card in my deck, but in my opionion it isn't worth playing if you only run 21 Fishes)
- Tanglewire (but i think i need that slots for lifegain - otherwise you will always die to RDW, RG-Beats)
- Kira, Glass Spinner (had this in my deck already - had some problems with Equipements and Curiosity afterwards - maybe i'll give it a second chance cause it looks good and i do not play Rebuff the Wicked (not as bad as you think!) and Hindering Light anymore)
- Drift of Phantasm (nice card vs. aggro and gives you another access to b2b vs control)
- Inkfathom Infiltrator (instead of a 1/1 evasion drop maybe)
- Sygg, River Cutthrout
- Control Magic (i meditate on adding Control Magic, Venser and Sower just a long time - but actually i only run 2 CC4-Drops (Exalted, Faith's Fetters) - i do not wanna have more than 3 or 4 CC4-Drops.

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Nastaboi

The original Skies deck was not particularly low on curve. And lands are good, below 30 is just wrong. I have enough islands to continue my game after B2B, and two mana lands give me advantage in case of Winter Orb. When B2B hits my double lands have alreaydy done their part, and the thing is, you don't have B2B in every game. And I'll state that I have better late game topdecks, spells that do thing on their own and not just support.

Meloku is just too good not to run, Razormane is so-so but I got to have something against creature decks. And I can't see how Mulldrifter is crap and Fathom Seer is not. Both draw 2 cards for three, but latter forces you to return 2 lands to hand. It leaves you with 1/3 though. Well, Mulldrifter has 1U kicker to leave you with 2/2 flying.

Tangle Wire is like 2½ Time Walks. How are people not playing this? It's just amazing.

All the control cards have been added to deal with my worst matchup, red aggro. Control matchup is still good.

Right now I'm trying Trinket Mage, Relic of Progenius and Needle in those open slots.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Nastaboi on 04-11-2008, 03:31:31 PM

And I can't see how Mulldrifter is crap and Fathom Seer is not. Both draw 2 cards for three, but latter forces you to return 2 lands to hand. It leaves you with 1/3 though. Well, Mulldrifter has 1U kicker to leave you with 2/2 flying.

i think vazdru plays seer, because its a "free" (mana) draw spell, that cant be countered (ok, unless you play stifle) and still leaves you with a creature, it alsos pump empyrial plate (and let me tell you that i´ve more than once got killed by a huge "empyrial creature" :P). mulldrifter to be in the board costs 5,so in vazdru mana curve, thats a bit high.

As for tangle wire i completely aggree, you always have the upper hand since u can tap tangle itself and remove a counter before tapping.

But like i said, its a different vision of Skies it may perform better in long game, but it doesnt kill as fast as other skies and maze/propaganda, IMO, doesnt make for the lack of lifegain.

34 + 7 lands still seems much (but since you play high CMC spells... it might be different) the good thing about skies is that the new mull rule really helps it not being screw even with 26 lands. Of course occassional mana screw will happen, but it also happens in my 39 land deck.. :P

BTW: if you see me online i´ll be glad to play against you. i want to test against it, that way i can make a more based upon facts opinion, instead of just speculating.

Vazdru

I still think UW is stronger than U-Skies.

If i check my creature base I'm quite satisfied. I think after 17-2 leaguematches I'm legitimated to say this.

My angle of view:

Serra Avenger > Rishadan Airship

Soltari Priest > Inkfathom Infiltrator

Azorius Herald > Augury Adept

Exalted Angel > Masticore

Fathom Seer, Azorius Guildmage (Tap, Interdict), Jötun Grunt (some kind of GY-Removal), Aven Riftwatcher + Mindcensor are great. I played 164 games with my UW-Skies right now and i would never change one of the mentioned cards above.

Actually i have

21:10 vs Mythrandir's great 5cc-Deck
10:5 vs UGw-Survival Builds like that one of Payron
9:4 vs RDW-Gobbos
8:16 vs (R)G-Beatz and Zoo - a 5/4 turn 2 isn't much fair in my opinion ^^

Far below the earth

Mythrandir

Quote from: Vazdru on 05-11-2008, 12:20:10 AM

21:10 vs Mythrandir's great 5cc-Deck
10:5 vs UGw-Survival Builds like that one of Payron
9:4 vs RDW-Gobbos
8:16 vs (R)G-Beatz and Zoo - a 5/4 turn 2 isn't much fair in my opinion ^^
Its that hard against aggro? thought it would be more balanced... now i know why u added some many lifegain..

Vazdru

A friend of mine who knows Magic better than me won with an unpowered G-Aggro vs my famous UW-Skies 2:0. He told me a good aggro build will always win vs aggro-control like mine  ;D I hope he's wrong but I'm in fear he isn't :)
Far below the earth

Nastaboi

A friend of mine just finished second on 20-player tournament, playing in hangover and winning a pile, Pyyhttu's UG Madness, RG Goblins and UWGb control. He lost to another BR aggro.

I have decided to include Cloudscate and Infiltrator il-Kor to have more T2 plays. I'm gonna cut Maze and Razormane Masticore. Force Spike men are something that migh work too, but I'm unsure what to cut.

pyyhttu

Hey...! My UGMadness was also a pile, e.g. playing one of the worst cards nets 3 cards... FOR YOUR OPPONENT!

Seriously, I didn't stand a chance against Nastaboi's MonoU. You who doubt should pay more attention to an alternative, more high curve fish builds as well.

Vazdru

After my UW-Skies didn't worked that well in the end - especially vs aggro - i decided to make a clean sweep and reconstruct my UW-Aggro-Build. Like you've said i've decided to cut all 1/1 Flyers and some more 1/1 Drops. Instead I've added things like Relic, Aether Vial, Sigil, Pithing Needle. My single CC1 creature is now Isamaru.

After more than 200 test and tournament games i finally recognized that my fear not to reach 4 Mana fast enough in my 25-Lands-Build was baseless - thanks to the spoils mulligan, land tax and tithe. So I've added stuff like Venser, Sower, Calciderm, Control Magic, Armageddon which giving that deck a new quality.

In the end i've adopted your following card choices:

* Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
* Tangle Wire
* Thirst for Knowledge
* Control Magic
* Sower of Temptation
* Venser, Shaper Savant
* Trinket Mage (-> Relic, Sigil, Vise, Needle, Mox, Vial)   
* Negate
* Memory Lapse
* Aether Vial

I think about adding Propaganda/Ghostly Prison as well. It works well with Winter Orb, Tangle Wire, Armageddon and helps while facing huge enemy armies.

UW-Skies is dead ...long live UW-Fish!  ;D

Far below the earth

Nastaboi

Please, STOP quoting whole posts. Makes forums awkward to read.

Latest list:

// Mana (34+8)

21 Island
    Wasteland
    Rishadan Port
    Academy Ruins
    Faerie Conclave
    Mutavault
    Mishra's Factory
    Blinkmoth Nexus
    City of Traitors
    Ancient Tomb
    Izzet Boilerworks
    Dimir Aqueduct
    Azorius Chancery
    Simic Growth Chamber

Mox Diamond
    Chrome Mox

Talisman of Progress
    Talisman of Dominance
    Mind Stone
    Guardian Idol
    Sky Diamond

AEther Vial

// Fishes (24)

Sygg, River Cutthroat
    Inkfathom Infiltrator
    Looter il-Kor
    Spiketail Hatchling
    Riftwing Cloudscate
    Infiltrator il-Kor.

Rishadan Airship
    Sea Drake
    Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
    Cloud Spirit
    Serendib Efreet
    Vendilion Clique
    Pestermite
    Man-o'-War
    Augury Adept
    Wasp Lancer
    Cold-Eyed Selkie
    Wake Thrasher
    Trinker Mage

Masticore
    Sower of Temptation
    Venser, Shaper Savant

Mulldrifter
    Razormane Masticore
    Meloku the Clouded Mirror

// Gear (5)

Sword of Light and Shadow
    Sword of Fire and Ice
    Grafted Wargear
    Loxodon Warhammer
    Sigil of Distinction

// Counters (15)

Daze
    Thwart
    Foil
    Force of Will
    Misdirection

Force Spike
    Spell Snare

Memory Lapse
    Mana Drain
    Remand
    Miscalculation
    Mana Leak
    Counterspell
    Negate

Cryptic Command

// Brake pedal (3)

Winter Orb
    Tangle Wire
    Back to Basics
    Propaganda

// Other forms of control (7)

Maze of Ith
    Pitching Needle
    Relic of Progenius

Psionic Blast
    Rushing River
    Vedalken Shackles
    Control Magic
    Treachery

// Card draw or similar (4)

Gush
    Thirst for Knowledge
    Compulsive Research
    Fact or Fiction
    Gifts Ungiven

I might cut one Island if I find something worth running. And I like them lands, I want to make land drops turns 1-5 every game. After that I am able to continue my game plan while keeping counter mana up.