Main Menu

B&R annoucement

Started by Mythrandir, 19-12-2008, 09:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mythrandir

From the recent B&R announcement there were some interesting things said about our format, here´s the link:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/17

"In all three cases, we looked at corresponding paper formats when constructing the new banned lists. There were two popular versions of Pauper in existence before we created ours: one that banned Cranial Plating, and one that banned Cranial Plating and the artifact lands. We agreed that Cranial Plating was too good, but it is our belief that the format can handle an Affinity deck without it, so we chose to leave the artifact lands alone. For 100 Card Singleton, we looked at German Highlander, a casual format that is popular in (surprise) Germany and also happens to use 100-card singleton decks. Our decisions were very similar to theirs with a few exceptions. It is not our goal that the 100 Card Singleton format contain no combo decks whatsoever, so we have chosen to ban the most powerful tutors like Intuition and Gifts Ungiven and super-efficient combo cards like Flash and Grindstone, but leave some cards like Worldgorger Dragon and Dread Return alone."

I decided to copy paste the interesting parts, but essentially they say they prefer not to cut combo and leave cards like worldgorger dragon and dread return alone, instead they banned gifts, intuition.
Also since its online MTG they dont have to deal with cards like worhshop, library, P3.

Any comments?

this might bring new info to vazdru questionnaire.

pyyhttu

The two formats are not very comparable with each other, main reason being that the card pool is not as deep in wotc's online version and that they embrace combo allowing certain combo key cards such as Worldgorger Dragon but consequently pruning the best tutors. Something which I see btw. as a healthy starting policy for their format in terms of a deck diversity:

combo-control-aggro *should* have their proportions balanced that way where as in German highlander it is now combo - *Control* - *Aggro*.

Other than that, one shouldn't compare their ban list directly nor use it as an argument ever when discussing German Highlander's bannings, as the format philosophies seem to be different now (affects ban list): They adopt combo while we being cautious towards it.

Very interested to see on a longer time interval if they are going to have problems with combo, or if wotc can keep it at bay with Gifts, Intuition and other powerful tutors banned.

Nice recognition towards the German Highlander format in any case.

Mythrandir

QuoteThe two formats are not very comparable with each other, main reason being that the card pool is not as deep in wotc's online version and that they embrace combo allowing certain combo key cards such as Worldgorger Dragon but consequently pruning the best tutors. Something which I see btw. as a healthy starting policy for their format in terms of a deck diversity:

yeah, i know, but nontheless i think its positive to have another similar list (done by wotc) to see how it evolves. but you´r right, the card pool is way different like i said before.

QuoteVery interested to see on a longer time interval if they are going to have problems with combo, or if wotc can keep it at bay with Gifts, Intuition and other powerful tutors banned.

They probably won´t face that many problems, since i think (dont know for sure), they cant have access to older power cards:  even if they tried to balance this with the Masters edition.

QuoteNice recognition towards the German Highlander format in any case.

The main reason why i put this here. They specifically mention German Highlander. :)