Main Menu

Frank T's Cards

Started by Sturmgott, 21-08-2007, 05:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOnlyOne

Most of the cards are simply too strong, most need a +1, manacost, a -1/-1 power thoughnes or need a acitvation cost with mana.

Some are nice because they do something that is "new", like Merfolk Queen, a 0/0 token is nice done, but the body of the queen is to big, 1/2 would make the deal for a "printable" card, because the mechanic is broken enough to build a combo around, (enchantment: Tap creature: untap creature for example).
Canopy drake is agressive like hell and not nice to play, because its really strong in green as a flyer what green can't have in the color pie, look at the Flyer with 1GG echo, its a 3cc flyer if u want it to stay, but this one is just to agressiv flyer in green.
Dragonfire is expensive, can be strong if u destroy a creature that has combat dmg and kill it with dragonfire, but 4mana is still some mana.
Crosis Amulet is broken in every way a card can be, 3cc artefact produces 3types of mana is nearly the same as a colour of your choice and the 3 abilities are way to strong on the artefact, without them the card would be playable with them it is broken like hell.
Other cards for example the Knight of Trokair is mana intensive and with that not really good, Paladin 1WW prot black, red, first strike is stronger, and you defnetly play toooooooo much with hybrid mana to make cards more broken as they are, because hybrid makes manacosts better as they would be normally.
The first post land, god damn its soooooooo unbelievable broken. Drawback dmg to all creatures can be good if u want it to be good, just remeber creatures that need to get dmg to grow +1/+1 counters, creatures that u want to die, Academy Recotor style. The creature gets flying give the card potential for late-game evasion, a strong ability on its own. The +2/-2 is absolutly freaking overpowered, a controll deck needs to spend cards to get rid of creatures, a land removal is way to good, the cost would be 5BG or something like that and it would be still good, because your mana fixing land can kill some creatures if u cant do something else in a stall.
Lands are hard to balance, just because each land that is better than a basic land needs a drawback, or should be balanced in a way like BLood Moon, a land that is better than basic AND can deal with a lot of things is way to strong, Duals for example are extremly strong, fetchlands are extremly strong.
For example:
A Land that creatures G, forest, counts as a basic land instead of non-basic and has the ability: 20Tap: Gain 1Life.
It is simply broken, not because you will ever use the ability, just because the land is to good because it would be a second Forest without any drawback and a incredible little extra.

Maybe you try to creature some "new" cards, something like Wizards is trying to do. Dont overpower cards by thousands of keywords, no creature is "cool" just because it has lifelink, shadow, vigilance, first strike, haste, trample, suspend, phasing, dredge1, ... A card with 2 abilities is enough, cards with more should be really Story intesive, like Akroma or controll cards with synergistic abilities that play wel together, like Morphling.
Cards dont need to be broken, a creature can be balanced and with +1 thoughnes its broken, just because the body is to strong for the format defining removal spells.

Just go on, and good that u understand that full art is really cool, lets hope wizard understands Full Art rulez and prints more cards like the Full-Art Vanillas in Future Sight.
You know what? - You know nothing.

TheOnlyOne

Could you tell from which site you use the artwork, i have problems to find "good" magic art for cards, like lands, creatures are not that difficult, but lands are nearly impossbile to find in my opinion.

Thx if u have a good Fantasy Art "lands" site ...

Sturmgott

Sturmgott

An existing card in new clothes and a new card (the artwork of which is probably known from popular sleeves):

Sturmgott

More new ideas... hope for your feedback :)

Lotus

I think that Luncatic Dreams are very Strong (Typ1 players would like it) If your Opponent casts a Brainstorm for example, you draw 4 Crads directly and one during the next upkeep. If we put that togehter we get a 4 mana card drawing 5 cards at instant speed and on top it can't be countered :)

The Paradise Cavern is just the worse version of Mirrordin's Core. But it's artwork is quite nice :)

TheOnlyOne

the legendary basic land seems overpowered like most lands, the basic makes it stronger, better than each forest.
Like the Urborg land, u can easily make a cycle of land cards with flagestone like abilities, and its not too powerful.
The creatures are not over the top, most are "weak" and so balanced, better cards that dont scream "powerful" just because they are 3mana 3/3 plus ability or something like that.
The card draw spell is ofcourse incredible powerful and not really fun to play, just because it wins EVERY controll battle on its own in card advantage.
with 2UUU it would be good, simply because it draws 3 cards at least and +X if u play it in a deck that can use it well, with 2UU its too strong.
I think i would like the card more with a text like that: "draw a card, split second, 2UU instant, draw a card in your next upkeep, you can't play spells or activated abilities this turn", so that if u want to play it in your opponent upkeep, you cant do anything else, needs a "drawback" if it wants to be 2UU.
Artworks are good, but some simply dont feel like magic, but ofcourse they cannot if they are not drawn for magic cards, just for the "real" looking pics, they look strong, but thats no really magic artwork in my mind.

PS: Do some planswalker xD, they can be overpowered if u like that ...

Kassow-Rossing

Fountain of Troyo: Too overpowered. Imagine you almost play no creatures. I rarely play many creatures. It's awesome in control and too good actually. It is not even a duel land, it's better. It taps for 3 different. And it has a cool activated ability - a removal land. I love the way you and Mithrandir have made pic's for most of your cards. God this is awesome reading

Ghost Horse: Could very well be printed and played if shadow was a keyword at the moment. Maybe in the future again

Knightress of Trokair: The name would never be printed. Trokair is long gone now. The creatures is also too overpowered. If you removed the last ability, it would have a chance. It would be played and it would still be awesome. Such a cool card though

Grakkh: This dude is really too angry to see printing :) If he was changed to "When Grakkh deals 5 or more combat damage to an opp.." then maybe :) We saw it in Shadowmoor with Deus of Calamity. Grakkh is even more overpowered, but Grakkh might see prints if it were changed a tiny bit

Nicol Bolas' Sword: Wow 3 cost and 3 equip? :) No way! Hehe.. 5 cost and 5 equip, yes sir. And Alara Reborn pre-release card. I would go for that. What a cool name, what a cool pic, what a cool ability, what a cool idea

Merfolk Seductress: Not much to say here :) I got distracted while trying to read it

Nightmare Academy: I do not know how this card would be. I have nothing to say

Thx for the cards..

PuTe

Wow, I really like these cards. Nice work! Exspecially some of your pictures  ;D
Luncatic Dreams as Highlander card?, Cool idea!!!  However i guess it could be too strong in t1,t1,5.