Main Menu

Aggro-control build

Started by Payron, 25-12-2008, 06:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payron

Hi,

The main reason to build up this deck was that I wanted to find a aggro deck thats Fun and competive for the GPs ...
I would like to have a aggro deck thats not pure damage and can handel some threads so kind of like aggro-control but more liek faster ...
I figured out thats the best thing to do get some card advantage and finde so my solutions ... so I did try to build something like Hajo from the last GP just with the adition of blue 4 some card advnatage
So in my testings with diferent deck it was like playing stuff liek doran is pretty cool ... If you have any ideas to improve my ideas then just tell me ...

so here we go:

// Lands
   1 Volcanic Island
   1 [TE] Wasteland
   1 [UL] Treetop Village
   1 [A] Tundra
   1 [R] Tropical Island
   1 [IA] Underground River
   1 [R] Taiga
   1 [R] Badlands
   1 [R] Plateau
   1 [R] Bayou
   1 [A] Savannah
   1 Scrubland
   1 [ON] Grand Coliseum
   1 [RAV] Overgrown Tomb
   1 [DIS] Blood Crypt
   1 [RAV] Temple Garden
   1 [SHM] Fire-Lit Thicket
   1 [SHM] Wooded Bastion
   1 [RAV] Sacred Foundry
   1 [ALA] Jungle Shrine
   1 [ALA] Savage Lands
   1 [SHM] Reflecting Pool
   1 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
   1 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
   1 [TSB] Gemstone Mine
   1 [ON] Polluted Delta
   1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
   1 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (4)
   1 [GP] Stomping Ground
   1 [ON] Flooded Strand
   1 [5E] City of Brass
   1 [ON] Windswept Heath
   1 [LG] Karakas
   1 [MOR] Murmuring Bosk

// Creatures
   1 [ALA] Woolly Thoctar
   1 [RAV] Dark Confidant
   1 [PLC] Stonecloaker
   1 [ON] Exalted Angel
   1 [PS] Flametongue Kavu
   1 [LRW] Doran, the Siege Tower
   1 [ALA] Stoic Angel
   1 [ALA] Jhessian Infiltrator
   1 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
   1 [ALA] Ajani Vengeant
   1 [EX] Skyshroud Elite
   1 [9E] Kird Ape
   1 [UL] Mother of Runes
   1 [JU] Anurid Brushhopper
   1 [MOR] Taurean Mauler
   1 [RAV] Vinelasher Kudzu
   1 [CS] Jotun Grunt
   1 [GP] Giant Solifuge
   1 [TSB] Shadowmage Infiltrator
   1 [GP] Burning-Tree Shaman
   1 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
   1 [DIS] Trygon Predator
   1 [RAV] Birds of Paradise
   1 [AP] Lightning Angel
   1 [ALA] Rhox War Monk
   1 [RAV] Watchwolf
   1 [RAV] Loxodon Hierarch
   1 [EVE] Figure of Destiny
   1 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
   1 [10E] Joiner Adept
   1 [TSP] Saffi Eriksdotter
   1 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
   1 [ALA] Wild Nacatl
   1 [SHM] Boggart Ram-Gang
   1 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
   1 [ALA] Tidehollow Strix
   1 [SHM] Fulminator Mage

// Spells
   1 [PS] Dromar's Charm
   1 [IN] Tribal Flames
   1 [LRW] Thoughtseize
   1 [BD] Lightning Bolt
   1 [CST] Brainstorm
   1 [IN] Armadillo Cloak
   1 [ALA] Naya Charm
   1 [IA] Incinerate
   1 [OD] Call of the Herd
   1 [RAV] Putrefy
   1 [SH] Mox Diamond
   1 [UL] Rancor
   1 [ARE] Duress
   1 [ALA] Grixis Charm
   1 [DS] AEther Vial
   1 [OV] Swords to Plowshares
   1 [REW] Mortify
   1 [DIS] Rise/Fall
   1 [US] Hidden Herd
   1 Demonic Tutor
   1 [REW] Lightning Helix
   1 [MOR] Bitterblossom
   1 [R] Winter Orb
   1 [FD] Magma Jet
   1 [PS] Eladamri's Call
   1 [MR] Chrome Mox
   1 [AP] Vindicate
   1 [GP] Electrolyze
   1 [ALA] Bant Charm

thx 4 all help!

Mythrandir

Basically it seems a 5color zoo with some mid range colors, i think one of the main problems you´ll have is having some of the right colors to start an early aggro position and not getting cheap creatures in mid/late games. How´s that working for you? What´s your result against aggro and control?

As far as lands goes:

Why the underground river? and not the sea? is it a typo?

i think u should add shriekmaw and mulldrifter in mid games these are quite good.

Probably cut anurid (i dont like it, not saying it isnt good, personal opinion)

i would trade armadillo cloak for a sword of fire ice anda griffin guide for the hidden herd

Also i would test elspeth. the +3/+3 and flying is really good.

i think conflux will bring you nice stuff, like the "new bop" or "new STP"

if u need testing, let me know ;)

Payron

Quote from: Mythrandir on 25-12-2008, 07:51:48 PM
Basically it seems a 5color zoo with some mid range colors, i think one of the main problems you´ll have is having some of the right colors to start an early aggro position and not getting cheap creatures in mid/late games. How´s that working for you?

Works actualy pretty well for me in real life ... but over mws its just doesn t work at all but here is more likly that i screw lands and not mana o_O

What´s your result against aggro and control?

I builded the deck like 3 days ago so I testet alot against the mono b aggro from my friend (the deck that was the best at the last GP after the 7 rounds), I won most the games so he said its mostly that i have just bigger and better guys then he got ... only the LD screwed me up some time but no wonder with 5 colors ... against control I testet only over mws ... I got a lot of screw ... the discard help some times and it was OK but I guss the match against aggro si alot better

As far as lands goes:

Why the underground river? and not the sea? is it a typo?

Thx didn t noticed yet y its a underground sea ;)

i think u should add shriekmaw and mulldrifter in mid games these are quite good.

When I builded up the deck shriekmaw lost against the Flametounge Kavu and I didn t wanted to play as much 4 drops / 5 drops, for muldrifter I thought about him but he is not even a bit aggro so that was the main reason not to play him because this deck looks pretty much on the coast/effective ratio and he wasn t THAT good

Probably cut anurid (i dont like it, not saying it isnt good, personal opinion)

mmh I personaly like him ;) he can sometimes be a silver bulled because u don t need any lands lategame on and against aggro he is like 3/4 for 3, I think I rather cut the Giant solifuge because the idea I was thinking about the deck of Hajo was Planswalker aggro that means, if i play more PW I want also protect them and solifuge just can t protect anything ;)

i would trade armadillo cloak for a sword of fire ice anda griffin guide for the hidden herd

y thought about swords but armadillo cloak won aginst griffen guide because I have BIG guys so i dont want realy evasion I want more bigger guys and it just likely won everygame when it got layed down against aggro because my guys are mostly alot bigger to remove them instant (aginst burn) the hidden heard is actualy pretty nice I mean its like first turn 3/3 and I wanna have big guys in my cc1 slot like kird ape and so on and I was impressed how often it was activated against the mono b deck of my friend and also against mono U control ... I mean nobody wanna miss a land drop and if it comes first or second turn its pretty strong

Also i would test elspeth. the +3/+3 and flying is really good.

yes I guess you are right should I also play the White Ajanie and the R/G PW? ... actualy i think i should try to play all besides chandra and lilania

didn t heared about them ? o_O

if u need testing, let me know ;)

Thx for your help alrdy ;)

Mythrandir

QuoteWorks actualy pretty well for me in real life ... but over mws its just doesn t work at all but here is more likly that i screw lands and not mana o_O

ohh, yeah. i know that, these past weeks i havent been on the  good side of the MWS shuffler gods! tried sacrificing to apease them, without success.. =/

QuoteThx didn t noticed yet y its a underground sea ;)

np

Quotemmh I personaly like him ;) he can sometimes be a silver bulled because u don t need any lands lategame on and against aggro he is like 3/4 for 3, I think I rather cut the Giant solifuge because the idea I was thinking about the deck of Hajo was Planswalker aggro that means, if i play more PW I want also protect them and solifuge just can t protect anything ;)

Probably right, solifuge is a better cut.´

Quotey thought about swords but armadillo cloak won aginst griffen guide because I have BIG guys so i dont want realy evasion I want more bigger guys and it just likely won every game when it got layed down against aggro because my guys are mostly alot bigger to remove them instant (aginst burn)

hmm... well armadillo VS griffin i prefer the griffin, unless you have major problems against other decks and need that lifegain. Both give +2/+2 ones give trample other gives flying (each is better than the other depending on the context) but griffino nlys has W compared to WG from cloack, plus if griffin gets killed it makes a nice token. :)

Quoteyes I guess you are right should I also play the White Ajanie and the R/G PW? ... actualy i think i should try to play all besides chandra and lilania

The more the merrier :), but i wouldnt add white ajani, sarkhan is a bomb. it pumps and gives haste. its definitely a must!

didn t heared about them ? o_O

For those who dont like previews, i made it into a spoiler (please select the next few lines - since the font is the same as the background)

new bop
G
Creature - rhino monk?
Exalted
T: Add G, W or U
0/1

new STP
W
Instant
Remove target creature from the game. Its controller  may search for a basic land and puts it into play tapped. Shuffle library afterwards

Like all rumoured cards, there isnt a 100% certainty, and things may change.. but they seem to be like that. hope u enjoyed.

QuoteThx for your help alrdy ;)

No prob :)

Payron

the biggest problem rly is on the deck the nonbasic hate .. i actuly can handel 1or2 LDs against aggro ... but something like b2b, blood moon or magus of the moon rly kills me ..don t know ... I rlytry to get a idea of a competive deck but this is pretty rough against the called cards ... some more testings today showed me ... Price of progress and runiate killed me also ... the plan wasto bes faster or got bigger guys then other players on the board but this cards just the end .. when I tested control I still had mana artifacts and counter I just don t belife anymore this deck can be a top deck on the GP ... pretty sad right now but have some new ideas comeing up in my head ;) ... thx for help anyways

btw lost like 8:3 to a zoo deckw ith the called cards :(