Main Menu

Need help deck selection - General Archetype Overview / Metagame

Started by t3nn0, 07-01-2020, 12:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t3nn0

Dear Highlander-Community,

I am following the board almost a decade by now (phew i am getting old -.-)

Anyway I am struggling with Deck selection for my favorite format: European Highlander.

What did I try so far:

• Naya Zoo (2008-2010)
  • Mono U Artifact Control (2009-2013)
  • GWB Rock (2009-2013)
  • Orzhov Lifegain/Discard (2010-2012
  • Naya Tokens (2014-2019)
  • Sultai Reanimator (2019)
  • Jeskai Tempo (2019)
  • Temur Midrange (2019)
  • GWB Pattern Rector (2019)
These decks were either fun decks without competitive effort or are outclassed by other decks (4Color Blood > Zoo) or are to slow with their combo (f.e. GWB Pattern Rector).

I am not really happy respectively long-lasting interested in tweaking, fixing and optimizing any of these.
While following the https://mtgdecks.net/Highlander I have the feeling most of the decklists of unpopular archetypes are outdated.

Is there anything like an general archetype overview/metagame Breakdown besides the yearly Continental Cup?

Maybe I am looking for an "Eierlegende Wollmilch Sau" (~Jack of all trades) but I am searching for a fun Highlander which supports interactive play (not restricted to discard or counter), includes G-in its mana base and plays something inbetween aggro and midrange ultimately with some little combos or even a chance of luck combo-like finish (f.e. 1-off without much tutoring strong anyway but combo-finish possible).

Does the Swarm have any ideas?
(I am not looking for Decklists more than ideas for archetypes)

Thanks in advance

Landarzt

I face a similar problem atm.

I tested GB-Rock, GWB-Mid and Rock, Jeskai and 4c Blood in my 2 years playing this format and watched countless people play various decks.
Nothing seemed to fit for me.

I have noticed that you did not try Bant-Mid.

I am building a version myself atm and it seems to be what fixes my problem.

Bant can be very interactive, agressive, comboy and even controly/tempoy.

The new prints of cards like Oko or Questing Beast and even the new Heliod work pretty well in Bant mid.

The continental showed that GWu can be a pretty good contender for the TOP 8 in various forms.

We saw staxy bant, aggroy bant, midrangy bant.

I do think that a midrange version of bant is pretty strong atm.

Value cards, interaction(counterspells), combo-material (Heliod, Walking Balista, Archangel of Thune + Spike Feeder (works with heliod too) and good tutors for it. You can even try scapeshift with Field of the Dead and Dark Depth stuff. Bant is a playground atm that wants to be tested in my oppinion :)

Hope that helped a litte.

I will follow this threat closely. Maybe someone with more experience can help me out too.

t3nn0

Thanks for your opinion.
Actually I was thinking kind of the same things:

I am flirting with Temur and Bant in a Tempo/Midrange Build.
I am unsure that Midrange is the place to be against mostly Tempo and Control Strategies. You might have game against everythin but it is always more like a coin flip.

Are there any opinions on what archetypes are good vs Elfball or Goblin-Highlander (Swarm with Tokens, Combo into Craterhoof etc or addition Goblins burn opponent out respectively flood board out of nowwhere and attack/Sac for lethal)?

I think a more controlling build would be a good option. Am I wrong?