Main Menu

MG Aggro

Started by grizzledmage, 29-10-2008, 11:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anime1

Well the cards idea was prety much its 2 mana 4/4 against control and ambush against aggro. Well im probely not gona play it as im trying to drop all cards that cost more than 4 and ain´t hurricane.

Loessli

Sorry for the dumb question, but how exactly does this deck work; I mean, if you hear about WW or RDW, it's really easy to imagine, but this is slightly harder, due to the higher mana curve. Basically, you want to play a lot of Mana creatures - but what for, I still don't get, because WW doesn't have this kind of Mana Acceleration either. Why not just play the deck with a very, very low curve but no Mana Accel? What point am I missing here?

Thibir

Quote from: Loessli on 10-10-2009, 01:54:39 PM
Sorry for the dumb question, but how exactly does this deck work; I mean, if you hear about WW or RDW, it's really easy to imagine, but this is slightly harder, due to the higher mana curve. Basically, you want to play a lot of Mana creatures - but what for, I still don't get, because WW doesn't have this kind of Mana Acceleration either. Why not just play the deck with a very, very low curve but no Mana Accel? What point am I missing here?

imho, the white have better creatures on the low curve (isamaru, lions vs. any green 1 drop) and it is great on 2 mana slot (soltari priest, monk, serra avenger, whipcorder etc.), but I think, that best green creatures come on 3 a 4 mana slot. so you want to accelerate to 3 manas on turn two to play your Troll Ascetic or Boggart Ram Gang :) or play Blastoderm on turn 3...

btw: has anybody of you ever tested Riding the Dilu Horse? :) I still cannot decide whether to buy it or not :)

Anime1

And well most green creatures have some kinda build in protections or just wins if not dealt whit fast which not so meny white creatures have. And if you play against mono white if they don't draw meny removal those 3-4 drops easely overpower those 1 drops and 2 drops if you drop them turn 2-3.

sidenote i think nettle sentinel beats isamaru in this deck most of the time.

Anime1

I just thought id post my newest list. Missing cards are Jungle Lion, Skyshroud Elite, Berserk, Gaea's Cradle and Mox Diamond.

lands
20 Forest
1 Treetop Village
1 Mutavault
1 Mishra's Factory
1 Blinkmoth Nexus
1 Wasteland
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Pendelhaven

Creatures
1cc
1 Llanowar Elf
1 Fyndhorn Elf
1 Boreal Druid
1 Bird of Paradise
1 Noble Hierarch
1 Nettle Sentinel
1 Tattermunge Maniac
1 Pouncing Jaguar
1 Ukitabi Drake
1 Basking Rootwalla
1 Twinblade Slasher

2cc
1 River Boa
1 Mire Boa
1 Tarmogoyf
1 Dryad Sophiscate
1 Wild Mongrel
1 Talara's Battalion
1 Wren's Run Vanguisher
1 Vexing Shusher
1 Viridian Zealot
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissaru
1 Scryb Ranger
1 Kavu Titan

3cc
1 Call of the Herd
1 Boggart Ram-Gang
1 Hungry Spriggan
1 Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers
1 Great Sable Stag
1 Spawnwrithe
1 Troll Ascetic
1 Kitchen Finks
1 Yavimaya Dryad
1 Groundbreaker
1 Imperious Perfect
1 Loaming Shaman
1 Cold-Eyed Selkie
1 Elvish Spirit Guide

cc4
1 Wilt-Leaf Liege
1 Ravenous Baloth
1 Wickerbough Elder
1 Yavimaya Ants
1 Chameleon Colossu
1 Giant Solifuge
1 Briarhorn
1 Phantom Centaur
1 Blastoderm
1 Timbermare
1 Nantuko Vigilante

5cc
1 Gigabede

Spells

0cc
1 Chrome Mox
1 Lotus Petal

1cc
1 Wild Growth
1 Utopia Sprawl
1 Might of Old Krosa
1 Giant Growth
1 Rancor
1 Vines of vastwood

2cc
1 Winter Orb
1 Predator's Strike
1 Ground Seal
1 Ankh of Mishra

3cc
1 Krosan Grip
1 Tower Above
1 Moldervine Cloak
1 Gaea's Anthem
1 Choke
1 Elephant guide
1 Grafted Wargear

4cc
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Might of Oaks
1 Stonewood Invocation

xcc
1 Hurricane

Anime1

What do you people think about WWK for the deck there is Leatherback Balloth and Arbor elf and posibly groundswell enything else?

Dreamer

Omnath? Wolfbriar Elemental might be decent, as well.

Anime1

Haven't tried but seems kinda mana hungry. Then again Wolfbriar Elemental is ok whit just 4 mana.

Helle

Wolfbriar Elemental is too expansive. You don't want a cc4 4/4 vanilla. Its decent for 5 and starts beeing good for cc6+. Thats too expansive I think.

Omnath on the other hand could make it. It starts attacking as 4/4 and could grow even bigger. If it gets destroyed in combat step on the other hand really sucks.

Anime1

Ravenous balloth is usuly not much more that 4/4 vanilla, but still im probely not gonna play Elemantal.
For me omnath dosen't seem that good unless you have Rofellos or Cradle and its some times even problem to get 3 green mana.

Asmahasmalaria

Hey,
i suggest cutting Giant Solifuge. It doesn´t really work well with battle tricks. Ok it has haste but you can play concordant crossroads or something like that to fill the gap when you don´t have the time to wait and want to attack imediatly.

GoblinPiledriver

Well Concoordant Crossroads is also bad with Combat Tricks.
Giant Solifuge  is good against Maze of Ith and Spot Removal, so this card works efficient against control, and bad against midrange and  aggro.
It depends on the metagame wheter to cut or not.
I would add Letherback Behemoth, Arbor Elf, Omnath and would only cut the Giant Solifuge if there is no space for it anymore.
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

Asmahasmalaria

Whats the matter with x-roads and battletricks?

GoblinPiledriver

Concordant Crossroads is not a creature so you cant use combat tricks on it.

The main problem with Crossroads is that it also gives your opponents creatures haste. So you could easily get disadvantage of it.
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

Asmahasmalaria

Good point, that means it´s problematic against agro but awesome against control.

I created a MG Agro myself and i can highly recommend Static Orb, since you´re playing garruk, nettle sentinel, mana elves and winter orb. If you decide to take it in I would also add quirion ranger - it´s a lot of fun together with one of the orbs and garruk. Tangle Wire works also well.

Oh and I have some battletrick-suggestions:
Groundswell
Symbiosis
Sword of Fire and Ice (ok not really a battle trick but it does the job anyway)

Another really funny card is Khalni Garden. There is nothing more hillarious than to beat the living crap out of your oponent with a 0/1 Plant and battle tricks :D