Main Menu

MG Aggro

Started by grizzledmage, 29-10-2008, 11:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grizzledmage

Yes even though I haven't the time to dedicate to the online league (I am seeing these reports of single games going for up to an hour - wow), I still play regularly with my sons and local people.

Anyway, I have never seen or heard of a mono G aggro deck in this format, and am curious to see if it has any potential. Here is a decklist that I have devised but not yet tested:

// Deck file for Magic Workstation

// Lands (38)
    1 Wasteland
    1 Treetop Village
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Temple of the False God
    31 Forest
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Slippery Karst
    1 Yavimaya Hollow

// Creatures (43)
    1 Rhox
    1 Troll Ascetic
    1 Talara's Battalion
    1 Seedborn Muse
    1 Roughshod Mentor
    1 Verdant Force
    1 Primalcrux
    1 Oversoul of Dusk
    1 Overbeing of Myth
    1 Masked Admirers
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Vigor
    1 Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers
    1 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1 Woodfall Primus
    1 Rhox Charger
    1 Drumhunter
    1 Spearbreaker Behemoth
    1 Garruk Wildspeaker (planeswalker)
    1 Llanowar Elves
    1 Boartusk Liege
    1 Fyndhorn Elves
    1 Spectral Force
    1 Murkfiend Liege
    1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 Jugan, the Rising Star
    1 Chameleon Colossus
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Bloom Tender
    1 Kitchen Finks
    1 Boggart Ram-Gang
    1 Briarhorn
    1 Cloudthresher
    1 Doomgape
    1 Drove of Elves
    1 Elvish Piper
    1 Hag Hedge-Mage
    1 Giant Solifuge
    1 Krosan Cloudscraper
    1 Nettle Sentinel
    1 Symbiotic Wurm
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Ravenous Baloth

// Other Spells (19)
    1 Lightning Greaves
    1 Break Asunder
    1 Hurricane
    1 Slate of Ancestry
    1 Wildsize
    1 Gaea's Anthem
    1 Rancor
    1 Regrowth
    1 Harmonize
    1 Privileged Position
    1 Kodama's Reach
    1 Might of Old Krosa
    1 Giant Growth
    1 Primal Command
    1 Worldly Tutor
    1 Tooth and Nail
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Krosan Grip

Some random comments...

I have tried to include a few ways to "cheat" the bigger creatures into play (Elvish Piper, Tooth and Nail).

Mana accel is obviously key, so BoP, Llanowar/Fyndhorn Elves, Drumhunter (good when the big boys are in play also), Sakura-Tribe Elder, Kodama's Reach, Bloom Tender (great with the hybrid mana cards around; still solid even without)

I am kind of on the fence on the battle tricks (Giant Growth, Might of Old Krosa, Wildsize) but goldfishing so far - both solitaire and against other HL decks - suggests that they may have merit.

Obviously a lot of recent cards; as I think we're all aware WotC has been very good to Green over the past couple of years. And some of the hybrid mana cards seem interesting to me in this context as well.

Anyway, I would be very appreciate of any/all comments and criticisms.

Vazdru

MG-Aggro is quite strong in my opinion! But your build looks like a MG-Control to me  ??? ;D it isn't aggroish at all  ;) Stuff like Tooth and Nail, Priviledge Position or Symbiotic Wurm and many more aren't strong enough to find its place in an aggro build. MG will always lose the long game ;) so obviousely you have to win quite fast :)

MG-Aggro!!!
85%+ should be 1-3 mana spells, the rest stuff like Yavimaya Ants, Phantom Centaur, Blastoderm, Giant Solifuge, Briarhorn - max. 1-2 5 mana spells. 

+ Dryad Sophisticate
+ Boas
+ Wild Mongrel
+ lots of cheap battle tricks
+ Moldervine Cloak
+ Elephant's Guide
+ Groundbreaker
+ Lots of Mana-Elves
+ Imperious Perfect

You will see that MG-Aggro is able to kill turn 5-6 and you have to if you wanna win :-)

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Nastaboi

Sorting the deck by curve would be nice. If you did that, I could give some suggestions - and propable you'd see some bottlenecks and weak spots yourself as well.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Thibir

I would cut down anything with cmc higher than 4, your large creatures don´t have a chance against survival driven combo, gift fueled engine or just simple stroke of genius. I thint that only way to win with MGA is to stomp opponent ASAP.

I would add a lot of one drops:

Wild dogs, Ghazban Ogre, Tattermunge Maniac, Basking rootwala, Jungle lion, (maybe Mtenda lion), Quirion Ranger, Rogue Elephant, Skarrgan-Pit Skulk, Skyshroud Elite.

As to other spells try Land Grant, Bounty of the Hunt, Berserk is must, maybe even Rootmaze may slow many decks down...

Vazdru

Quote from: Thibir on 30-10-2008, 01:32:47 PM
I thint that only way to win with MGA is to stomp opponent ASAP.

100% agree  ;D

I would add a lot of one drops:

Wild dogs, Ghazban Ogre, Tattermunge Maniac, Basking rootwala, Jungle lion, (maybe Mtenda lion), Quirion Ranger, Rogue Elephant, Skarrgan-Pit Skulk, Skyshroud Elite.

All good suggestions. I would definately add the red marked ones.

As to other spells try Land Grant, Bounty of the Hunt, Berserk is must, maybe even Rootmaze may slow many decks down...

Sure if you have a copy of Beserk add it  ;D land Grant + Bounty of the Hunt sounds good to me too

Far below the earth

grizzledmage

As usual, some excellent feedback here.

Question...

But your build looks like a MG-Control to me

I'm not even sure what you mean here... is it that the deck seems too slow and ponderous, thereby giving it control-like feel?

I think that I will keep this deck for now and try it out against locals (just for fun) and will incorporate your suggestions into a second (presumably more competitive?) deck. I'll post the new decklist thereafter. (If I don't get to it by the end of today, it will then be a week or more as I will be traveling on business almost all of next week.)

BTW, keeping your suggestions in mind, I'm also looking at cards like Pouncing Jaguar, Albino Troll, Argothian Wurm (?-maybe effective if can play by turn 4 or 5), Silhana Ledgewalker...?

Mythrandir

i completely agree with most of the comments. You should definitely cut some of the bigger CMC cards. Jugan the rising star, krosan cloudscraper? you have a lot of sub-optimal cards. you should add those 1/2 drops.

Also i noticed is that u run a lot of lands 31+7.. i play 5CC and play with 39 so a MG aggro should play a lot less, specially if you play with the "new" mulligan.

Gaes cradle, no?

Like vazdru said, you should be winning by turn 5/6 ;)

Vazdru

That's my more aggroish MG-Stampede I've built tonight. I think the differences to grizzledmage's approach are easy to discover.   Quirion Ranger + Skyshroud Elite still missing, maybe i add Spectral Force and or Silvos somewhere as finisher.

// Lands
    1 [LG] Pendelhaven
    1 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (1)
    1 [MOR] Mutavault
    27 [UG] Forest
    1 [TE] Wasteland
    1 [UL] Treetop Village
    1 [US] Gaea's Cradle

// Creatures

CC1
    1 [SHM] Tattermunge Maniac 
    1 [CS] Boreal Druid
    1 [EVE] Nettle Sentinel
    1 [GP] Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
    1 [PLC] Uktabi Drake
    1 [PT] Jungle Lion
    1 [EVE] Twinblade Slasher
    1 [MI] Mtenda Lion
    1 [IA] Fyndhorn Elves
    1 [9E] Llanowar Elves
    1 [TO] Basking Rootwalla
    1 [EX] Skyshroud Elite

CC2
    1 [SHM] Vexing Shusher   
    1 [VI] River Boa
    1 [OD] Wild Mongrel
    1 [MOR] Bramblewood Paragon
    1 [EVE] Talara's Batallion
    1 [GP] Dryad Sophisticate
    1 [SHM] Devoted Druid
    1 [LRW] Wren's Run Vanquisher
    1 [PLC] Mire Boa
    1 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    1 [GP] Silhana Ledgewalker
    1 [TSP] Scryb Ranger
    1 [DS] Viridian Zealot
    1 [UD] Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary

CC3
    1 [MR] Troll Ascetic
    1 [TSP] Yavimaya Dryad
    1 [DIS] Loaming Shaman
    1 [SHM] Hungry Spriggan
    1 [LRW] Imperious Perfect
    1 [PLC] Groundbreaker
    1 [SHM] Kitchen Finks
    1 [SHM] Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers
    1 [SHM] Boggart Ram-Gang

CC4
    1 [GP] Giant Solifuge
    1 [JU] Phantom Centaur
    1 [NE] Blastoderm
    1 [LRW] Garruk Wildspeaker
    1 [AL] Yavimaya Ants
    1 [MOR] Chameleon Colossus
    1 [PLC] Timbermare
    1 [SHM] Wilt-Leaf Liege

CC5
    1 [ON] Gigapede
    1 [DIS] Indrik Stomphowler

// Spells

CC1
    1 [WL] Briar Shield
    1 [TSP] Might of Old Krosa
    1 [NE] Seal of Strength
    1 [5E] Giant Growth
    1 [] Berserk
    1 [UL] Rancor

CC2
    1 [PY] Wild Might
    1 [MR] Predator's Strike
    1 [EX] Survival of the Fittest
    1 [OD] Ground Seal

CC3
    1 [PLC] Gaea's Anthem
    1 [RAV] Moldervine Cloak
    1 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    1 [OD] Call of the Herd
    1 [JU] Elephant Guide
    1 [8E] Blanchwood Armor
    1 [9E] Loxodon Warhammer

CC4
    1 [US] Greater Good
    1 [HL] Primal Order
    1 [UL] Might of Oaks
    1 [TSP] Stonewood Invocation

CCx

1 [P2] Hurricane
Far below the earth

Payron

In my personal opinion grizzelmage wanted to play some timmy cards ... and I do rly see a way to do this ... I remember a Elves Deck that was mono green and the elves were more or less the mana boost and in addition a little army so he ramped very very fast his mana tutored for a big guy and won ... don t know maybe that could help ... I lost pretty bad against this deck with my MB-suicide ...to much blockers and to fast creatures with pro black .. just remeber he layed down in 1 turn Phantom Centaure and Chameleon Colossus ... he also played Silos .. the Oversoul of Dusk ... hope I could give some ideas

Mythrandir

Quote from: Payron on 05-11-2008, 12:03:20 PM
In my personal opinion grizzelmage wanted to play some timmy cards ... and I do rly see a way to do this ... I remember a Elves Deck that was mono green and the elves were more or less the mana boost and in addition a little army so he ramped very very fast his mana tutored for a big guy and won ... don t know maybe that could help ... I lost pretty bad against this deck with my MB-suicide ...to much blockers and to fast creatures with pro black .. just remeber he layed down in 1 turn Phantom Centaure and Chameleon Colossus ... he also played Silos .. the Oversoul of Dusk ... hope I could give some ideas

well, at the pro tour the elf decks can easily cast predator dragon. However a MG aggro is different from a rampant deck. I can also see it a mix of rG elfball kind of deck, with lots of mana elfs + untap effects + fireball (and cousins) + fatties. But this goes a different way that a MG aggro, he should have lots of land fetchers and all creture tutor available. but i dont know if he just wanted a stompy kind of deck or just a deck that easily cast a fattie on turn 4/5

Thibir

Quote from: Vazdru on 31-10-2008, 12:47:07 AM

CC5

isn´t Wickerbough Elder slightly better than indrik? i can work exactly like indrik, however you can cast it with only 4 mana. only disadvantage of Wickerbough Elder over indrik is creature type, but as you are not running Ravenous Baloth, it doesn´t matter :)

I would like to play also Kavu predator + invigorate. invigorate is good alone. predator has decent numbers and can help to keep opponents life gain from being real buggar :)

Vazdru

Quote from: Thibir on 06-11-2008, 11:14:00 AM
Quote from: Vazdru on 31-10-2008, 12:47:07 AM

CC5

isn´t Wickerbough Elder slightly better than indrik? i can work exactly like indrik, however you can cast it with only 4 mana. only disadvantage of Wickerbough Elder over indrik is creature type, but as you are not running Ravenous Baloth, it doesn´t matter :)

yes you are right - missed that card
Far below the earth

Thibir

have anybody ever tried Skyshroud War Beast? I like this card very much, but I haven´t tested it yet. I think it should be "Lesser Goyf." Of course not in skies matchup.

grizzledmage

As I indicated, I was away for a week on business, and am just this morning checking this thread again. There are yet some more excellent suggestions here which I will undoubtedly incorporate, but in the meantime:

// Lands (34)
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    28 Forest
    1 Yavimaya Hollow
    1 Wasteland
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Treetop Village
    1 Slippery Karst

// Creatures (44)
    1 Blastoderm
    1 Wild Mongrel
    1 River Boa
    1 Mire Boa
    1 Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
    1 Twinblade Slasher
    1 Basking Rootwalla
    1 Skyshroud Elite
    1 Mtenda Lion
    1 Jungle Lion
    1 Boreal Druid
    1 Garruk Wildspeaker
    1 Wall of Roots
    1 Uktabi Drake
    1 Silhana Ledgewalker
    1 Wren's Run Vanquisher
    1 Scryb Ranger
    1 Dryad Sophisticate
    1 Imperious Perfect
    1 Kitchen Finks
    1 Giant Solifuge
    1 Chameleon Colossus
    1 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1 Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers
    1 Troll Ascetic
    1 Boggart Ram-Gang
    1 Talara's Battalion
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Fyndhorn Elves
    1 Llanowar Elves
    1 Nettle Sentinel
    1 Pouncing Jaguar
    1 Bloom Tender
    1 Tattermunge Maniac
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Drove of Elves
    1 Murkfiend Liege
    1 Briarhorn
    1 Ravenous Baloth
    1 Spectral Force
    1 Masked Admirers
    1 Boartusk Liege
    1 Sakura-Tribe Elder

// Spells (22)
    1 Might of Oaks
    1 Elephant Guide
    1 Call of the Herd
    1 Moldervine Cloak
    1 Kodama's Reach
    1 Lightning Greaves
    1 Symbiosis
    1 Ferocious Charge
    1 Bounty of the Hunt
    1 Might of Old Krosa
    1 Giant Growth
    1 Rancor
    1 Gaea's Anthem
    1 Harmonize
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Krosan Grip
    1 Wildsize
    1 Worldly Tutor
    1 Break Asunder
    1 Hurricane
    1 Loxodon Warhammer

As you can see, I have included many of vazdru's suggestions here, with some differences based both on card availability and personal preference. (Note that I did not include Vidian Zealot because I was dismayed to find I had none, but Wickerborough Elder is one I also missed and will likely include that as well.)

Yes it is true that my original build at the top of this thread was intended to get fatties into play quickly, but I am not emotionally tied to that theme, and this sort of build should be just as much fun to play. As I indicated earlier, there is a good chance I may put such a deck together anyway... again, for the fun of it.

Break Asunder I am very iffy on. That slot keeps flipping back and forth for Slate of Ancestry, but I am really not sure about it. If I do go with Wickerborough Elder, then BA is less likely to stay in.

Some playtesting with the current build online against random players has been reasonably, but not overwhelmingly, encouraging. One very interesting matchup was against a monoW weenie build; it was almost a mirror at least in deck tempo and feel, and the other fellow was able to pull out the 3rd and final game in a very close match.

Mythrandir

ok, now it looks a lot more with a Mono aggro G.
Altough i´d cut a bit on the lands, 34 still seems a lot. how do you feel about his? have u had any mana screw/flood?

I´ve played against one of those and lost 3-0 :P just too fast for my 5cc.