Main Menu

Changing the effect of our watchlist, to make it more meaningful?

Started by DarkLight, 14-07-2018, 04:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkLight

I had a discussion about the Watch-/Banlist system of our format with a friend and we came to an interesting idea which I wanna share herewith.

Since years now I have the feeling that our watchlist is becoming more and more meaningless with no effect at all. The question in our discussion was "How can we make the Watchlist more meaningful/useful?" and we came to this idea:
What if decks are only allowed to contain a certain amount of "watchlisted for BAN" cards? My first suggestion was 2-3.
Players have to decide now which watchlisted cards they want to play, which can change the meta slightly. The restriction should make it easier to see which watchlisted cards are more frequent played therefore deserve their place on the watchlist and what watchlisted cards are replaceable and could be removed from the watchlist.

Share your opinion on this idea, especially council members.
Formerly known as With-FuLL-Force.

Goblin-Diplomaten

Or maybe we should give each of the watchlisted cards a certain number and then we allow only, lets say 10 points worth of watchlisted cards.

No seriously, that sounds exactly like canadian highlander.

r4nd0m1

In my opinion, the benefit for players isnt big enough to justify complicating things. All the cards are "restricted" as 1-ofs in the first place anyway.

As a sidenote, I feel like the less additional bannings, the better. People want to play with the cards they love. Ideally, the frequency with which the bannedlist changes, should drop exponentionally. As I understand it, continuous changes with a format as well developed as this, is a sign that people don't know what they are doing.

Now as I look at the actual watchlist right now, cards like Back to Basics and Blood Moon should never be considered for a ban (unless we want to eradicate 1, 2, or even 3 color decks).

For me personally, none of the cards on the current watchlist make much sense to ban. Entomb is a very special card, but I'm not aware of it dominating anything. Oath of Druids also doesnt dominate anything and is seriously held in check by B2B et cetera. As is Academy. Tutoring and carddraw is part of the game. TNN doesnt "do" anything in a bunch of matchups (easy Jitte, Skullclamp unban). Please only ban based on mid-longterm tournamentresults.

Another idea I guess this is a good spot to throw out there: I'd like to see a slightly extended watchlist and each card with a rating on how likely it will get banned or unbanned, respectively. Perhaps votecounts.

DarkLight

Quote from: Goblin-Diplomaten on 15-07-2018, 02:16:09 AM
No seriously, that sounds exactly like canadian highlander.
:-[

Quote from: r4nd0m1 on 15-07-2018, 01:41:01 PM
Another idea I guess this is a good spot to throw out there: I'd like to see a slightly extended watchlist and each card with a rating on how likely it will get banned or unbanned, respectively. Perhaps votecounts.
Sounds reasonable

For me personally, none of the cards on the current watchlist make much sense to ban. Entomb is a very special card, but I'm not aware of it dominating anything. Oath of Druids also doesnt dominate anything ...
The problem with these kind of cards is, they can escalate pretty fast and need to observed pretty strict.

easy Jitte, Skullclamp unban
'Skullclamp' recently was removed again from the UNBAN-Watchlist, so it would take at least 15 month for an UNBAN ;)

Since I'm a Blood player and I would profit alot from an UNBAN of those two cards, I would like to say it would make certain matchups more random ... who has the card or who don't has an answer wins or loses. I think it's not necessarily the powerlevel what holds those cards on the BANLIST it's more the random factor these cards will bring to the format. Furthermore cards who are on the BANLIST for a long time having some kind of stigma to the coucil it seems (f.e. 'Stoneforge Mystic') and they have difficulties to handle this.

For me 'Stripmine' is since quite a while the biggest contender on the BANLIST with an "easy UNBAN"-Factor.
Formerly known as With-FuLL-Force.