Main Menu

RB Goblins

Started by so_not, 07-10-2008, 01:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

so_not

Hello everybody! I finally decided to join these forums after I saw that Nastaboi and bunch of other Finns did that too.

I think Goblins is probably one of the best decks in this format. It can fight with all 3-5 color control decks with speed, disruption and blood moon effects and other aggro decks with the crazy card advantage it generates via Bidding and Living Death for example.

I've been tuning this deck for over a year and the current build is:

LANDS, MANA and STUFF: (39):
    1 Chrome Mox
    1 Aether Vial

12 Mountain
    5 Swamp
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Badlands
    1 Blood Crypt
    1 Sulfurous Springs
    1 Auntie's Hovel
    1 Graven Cairns
    1 Shadowblood Ridge
    1 City of Brass
    1 Reflecting Pool
    1 Ancient Tomb
    1 Wasteland
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Barbarían Ring
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Ghitu Encampment
    1 City of Traitors
    1 Mutavault
    1 Urborg, Tomb or Yawgmoth

GOBLINS (33):
    1 Goblin Lackey
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Goblin Sledder
    1 Goblin Cadets
    1 Frenzied Goblin
    1 Mogg Fanatic
    1 Mogg Raider
    1 Knucklebone Witch
    1 Tattermunge Maniac

1 Goblin Recruiter
    1 Goblin Piledriver
    1 Sparksmith
    1 Mogg Flunkies
    1 Squeaking Pie Sneak
    1 Frogtosser Banneret
    1 Weirding Shaman
    1 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Vexing Shusher

1 Goblin Warchief
    1 Gempalm Incinerator
    1 Goblin Matron
    1 Mad Auntie
    1 Goblin King
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Boggart Harbinger
    1 Auntie’s Snitch
    1 Taurean Mauler
    1 Zo-Zu the Punisher

1 Goblin Ringleader
    1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
    1 Murderous Redcap
    1 Siege-Gang Commander
    1 Earwig Squad

OTHER DUDES(8 ):
    1 Dark Confidant
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Duergar Hedge-Mage
    1 Moggcatcher
    1 Marsh Flitter
    1 Flametongue Kavu
    1 Shriekmaw

SPELLS(20):
    1 Duress
    1 Thoughtseize
    1 Cursed Scroll
    1 Nameless Inversion
    1 Bitterblossom
    1 Terminate
    1 Night’s Whisper
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Price of Progress
    1 Pillage
    1 Dralnu’s Crusade
    1 Phyrexian Arena
    1 Tangle Wire
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Blood Moon
    1 Ruination
    1 Fodder Launch
    1 Living Death
    1 Patriarch’s Bidding
    1 Profane Command

At the moment I'm testing Dragon Fodder and Goblin Deathraiders in place of Squeaking Pie Sneak and Weirding Shaman. There are still some cards I would like to get rid of but haven't come up with anything better (mostly Knucklebone Witch and Nameless Inversion).

I don't know if Goblins have had any success at GP:s but it would surely be competent.

If I have time I'll add some tournament results later after I have translated them.

Feel free to comment and ask if you have any questions about card choices.

EDIT: Added mws-file!

Georg B

The Deck looks quite solid and I can imagine how strong it could be.
Goblins were not realy presented at the last Grand Prixs, but a few years ago, RDW was one of the strongest decks in the format, and af far as I know, there was even a discussion about banning Goblin Lackey.

Maybe you could send me your List as a MWS data, if you have got one. I would willingly test your deck.
You could also join the ligue, to show how your deck can perform.

Vazdru

I like BR very much too but i totally ignore the gobblin theme. Would be nice if we can play some "mirror" matches to see how the different styles work.

Here's the actual macth-up-breakdown of my BR:

12:10 5cc Control (most of them vs Mythrandir)
4:1 RG-Beatz (Georg B)
6:4 Skies
3:2 Elves!
1:2 UW-Control
2:1 Captain America
and some more...
altogether 34:23 (59,65%, 3rd place in my ranking)

btw: Our league is a quite good opportunity for testing your deck on a high play-level. You are still able to join our running season without any drawbacks. Next pairings will be available thursday/friday.
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Mythrandir

havent i played against a RG goblins somewhere?! VAzdru was it you?

i thought it was kind of slowish as compared to RDW, but demonic tutor -> PoP, is always good :P

pyyhttu

Quote from: Mythhavent i played against a RG goblins somewhere?! VAzdru was it you?

You didn't like my Magus's.

I was using so_not's ropecon winning version of that same BRGoblin. To add injury to insult: I chose the deck purely on metapredicting basis as had learned you were likely to pilot the 5C yet again. :\

Mythrandir

Quote from: pyyhttu on 08-10-2008, 09:10:50 PM
Quote from: Mythhavent i played against a RG goblins somewhere?! VAzdru was it you?

You didn't like my Magus's.

I was using so_not's ropecon winning version of that same BRGoblin. To add injury to insult: I chose the deck purely on metapredicting basis as had learned you were likely to pilot the 5C yet again. :\

i´m not saying it aint good. i´m saying when i played against it (also non-league games), it seemed slowish compared to RDW, RDW also uses magus so dont see the point...

BTW, metapredicting?! c´mon! i always run 5CC... there isnt much to predict, is it?! :P

so_not

I added mws-file to the original to first post.

I agree that goblins might be a bit slower than some of the RDW:s but I don't actually see the point of playing RDW when you can play goblins :)
RDW doesn't have very good late game draws but goblins do. Black gives you card advatage in form of Dark Confidant, Bitterblossom, Bidding, Living Death, Profane Command, Shriekmaw and so on.
Black also gives more tutors for Goblin Recruiter. If some card from this deck was banned, it should be Recruiter not Lackey.

In the last two tournaments my matchups were:
ROPECON:
1: UW-Rebels 2-1 (lost one game to island sanctuary)
2: UGW-control 2-0 (not very interesting, Magus and Recruiter were enough)
3: MonoU-fish 2-0 (Sparsmith is good against fish, I even managed to win a game where he had both swords and vedalken shackles in play))
4: UB-control 2-1 (Lost one game to Damnation + Masticore)
5: UG-tron 2-1 (He is my teammate so we split the prices but played for fun. Nonbasiclandhate worked)

Other tournament a few weeks ago:
1: UWB-control 2-1 (lost one game to crovax + magus of the tabernacle)
2: GR-aggro 2-0 (Bitterblossom, Moggcatcher, Bidding + others made this easy)
3: UGr-aggrocontrol 2-0 (cool deck but manascrewed in first game and I drew enough removal in second)
4: UGB-control 2-1 (Pernicious deed + damnation got me in first game. Second I won without red mana by Vialing an Imperial Recruiter and fetching Magus of the Moon with it to get mountains. Third game mana screw for him)
5: UGRW-wildfirecontrol 2-1 (Wildfire + Wrath killed me in first game, wastelanded his tempo enough in second and Goblin Recruiter won the third)
6: Larkcombo: we drew because he was in a hurry.

Mythrandir

Quote from: so_not on 09-10-2008, 10:13:44 AM

RDW doesn't have very good late game draws but goblins do. Black gives you card advatage in form of Dark Confidant, Bitterblossom, Bidding, Living Death, Profane Command, Shriekmaw and so on.
Black also gives more tutors for Goblin Recruiter. If some card from this deck was banned, it should be Recruiter not Lackey.

Totally aggree, but also gives more time to your oponnent ;) but tghe fact that you play disruption also helps.
2nd turn bitterblossom is really though. :P

so_not

So after almost two years I took goblins out for spin and again didn't lose any matches.

Here is the current decklist:

Chrome Mox
AEther Vial
Veinfire Borderpost

9 Mountain
3 Swamp
Wooded Foothills
Bloodstained Mire
Polluted Delta
Arid Mesa
Scalding Tarn
Marsh Flats
Verdant Catacombs
Badlands
Blood Crypt
Sulfurous Springs
Auntie's Hovel
Dragonskull Summit
Lavaclaw Reaches
Graven Cairns
Pendelhaven
Barbarían Ring
Volrath's Stronghold
Ghitu Encampment
Mutavault
Dust Bowl
Wasteland
Urborg, Tomb or Yawgmoth

Goblin Lackey
     Skirk Prospector
     Frenzied Goblin
     Tattermunge Maniac
     Goblin Guide
     Goblin Bushwacker

Goblin Recruiter
     Goblin Piledriver
     Sparksmith
     Mogg War Marshal
     Vexing Shusher
     Dragon Fodder
     Goblin Tinkerer
     Jund Hackblade
     Warren Instigator
     Goblin Deathraiders
     Slavering Nulls

Goblin Warchief
     Gempalm Incinerator
     Goblin Matron
     Mad Auntie
     Goblin King
     Goblin Sharpshooter
     Boggart Harbinger
     Auntie’s Snitch
     Taurean Mauler
     Zo-Zu the Punisher
     Boggart Ram-Gang
     Goblin Ruinblaster
     Goblin Chieftain

Goblin Ringleader
     Wort, Boggart Auntie
     Murderous Redcap
     Tuk Tuk Scrapper
     Marsh Flitter
     Goblin Razerunners
     Siege-Gang Commander
     Earwig Squad

Figure of Destiny
     Dark Confidant
     Magus of the Moon
     Imperial Recruiter
     Moggcatcher
     Flametongue Kavu
     Shriekmaw

Lightning Bolt
     Sensei's Divining Top
     Cursed Scroll
     Bitterblossom
     Magma Jet
     Searing Blaze
     Char
     Dralnu’s Crusade
     Phyrexian Arena
     Profane Command
     Price of Progress
     Blood Moon
     Tangle Wire
     Sword of Fire and Ice
     Demonic Tutor
     Living Death
     Patriarch’s Bidding
     Flame Javelin

I played this in two smaller tournaments, three rounds both:
monoR burn (2-1 this is a total coin flip)
GW midrange (2-1 against Sephiron. This should favor goblins since recruiter=gg but I managed to lose a game to manascrew)
4C-LD control (2-1 lost one game again to manascrew)

4C-control (2-1 yeah...mana screw)
URgb Wildfire Swans (2-0 first game fast beats+blood moon, second he had only islands)
GR aggro (2-1 favors goblins, mana flood got me in the second game)

I would still pick this any time over mono red versions.

majko53

friend of mine play goblins for like 8 years now he had everything mono r singleton mono r 100 card and rb of course rb seems to be strongest build for us too... i like your build almost identical with friends goblins but i might suggest you goblin grenade and fireblast

so_not

Quote from: majko53 on 14-05-2010, 12:36:06 PM
friend of mine play goblins for like 8 years now he had everything mono r singleton mono r 100 card and rb of course rb seems to be strongest build for us too... i like your build almost identical with friends goblins but i might suggest you goblin grenade and fireblast

Yeah I actually cut Grenade in the very early development since it just doesn't support your game plan. You don't want to keep it in your opening hand since it is quite bad during the first turns. There are also a lot of situations when you don't want to draw it later either.

Fireblast is also bad during the first turns. This deck can operate with 3 lands but it will need the 4th and 5th land in the late game so you only want fireblast when opponent is at 4 or you can clear the way for the kill with it.

I'd guess an even more aggressive mono red version would want them but I wouldn't really know what to cut in favor of those in this version.

Tiggupiru

Looks very solid. Only cards I find questionable are Flame Javelin and Char. Especially the latter feels so awkward when compared to Incinerate. Javelin also seems worse than Burst Lightning, Firebolt or Chain Lightning. Does the deck need to have that extra point of damage so bad it can afford to pay extra mana?

so_not

I have been trying all sorts of burn packages and currently it looks like this. The 1 extra damage makes all the difference sometimes in this deck, since most of time burn are used either as finisher or late game removal. There are some really stupid 4 toughness creatures like Thoctar, Hierarch and Teferi for example.
I don't like Chain Lightning very much and I haven't actually tried Burst lightning but and I will as soon as I get a foil one :)

Payron

Hey,

I wanted some funny "aggro" Deck and also one with some nonbasic land hate and I came around this deck ... I got a main question:

What is Tuk Tuk Scrapper in there for? I mean is 4 mana for a artifact destruction worth it?

and some another questions.. do you got an up to date liste?! ... Did you try around with some burn? Is Goblin Razerunners good because I had mostly the feeling you wanna keep your mana :-/ ?

thx 4 all answers!

so_not

Scrapper is something that was missing before (effective easily tutorable artifact removal). Goblin Tinkerer and Goblin Vandal are both pretty pathetic and they don't really deal with Vedalken Shackles and Sword of Fire and Ice that are your main artifact enemies.

From the above list I have cut at least:
     Goblin Tinkerer
     Goblin Sharpshooter
     Goblin Razerunners
     Cursed Scroll
     Bitterblossom
     Char
     Profane Command
     Flame Javelin
     Dust Bowl
     +something else and probably manabase is a bit different too?
Instead I have at least:
Hymn to Tourach
Duress
Thoughtseize
Recurring Nightmare
Necropotence
Ember Hauler
Burst Lightning
Grim Lavamancer
Terminate
Incinerate
Mishra's Factory

Some of the changes are made purely based on the metagame and some cards are still in testing.