Main Menu

Heartbeat combo (UGw)

Started by Nastaboi, 05-10-2008, 08:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastaboi

I don't have time to write long stories. I'll just say that this is a really dedicated combo deck where every card is supposed to be a part of the engine. So no removal, "win conditions", cheap cantrips etc.

// Lands (30)

6 Forest
    6 Island
    1 Snow-Covered Plains
    6 Snow-Covered Island
    5 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Savannah
    1 Tropical Island

// Mana-ax. (16)

1 Wild Growth
    1 Utopia Sprawl
    1 Search for Tomorrow

1 Rampant Growth
    1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 Into the North
    1 Edge of Autumn
    1 Farseek
    1 Nature's Lore
    1 Three Visits
    1 Wall of Roots

1 Kodama's Reach
    1 Harrow

1 Sunscape Familiar
    1 Sapphire Medallion
    1 Helm of Awakening

// Heartbeat (3)

1 Heartbeat of Spring
    1 Mirari's Wake
    1 Mana Reflection

// Untap (7)

1 Early Harvest
    1 Turnabout
    1 Rude Awakening
    1 Time Warp
    1 Temporal Manipulation
    1 Capture of Jingzhou
    1 Palinchron

// Regrowth (5)

1 Regrowth
    1 Nostalgic Dreams
    1 Recollect
    1 Relearn
    1 Eternal Witness

// Business (27)

1 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Ponder
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Enlightened Tutor

1 Impulse
    1 Merchant Scroll
    1 Sylvan Library

1 Drift of Phantasms
    1 Frantic Search
    1 Meditate
    1 Compulsive Research
    1 Intuition
    1 Idyllic Tutor

1 Deep Analysis
    1 Harmonize
    1 Fact or Fiction
    1 Concentrate
    1 Gifts Ungiven
    1 Foresee
    1 Careful Consideration

1 Future Sight

1 Mind's Desire
    1 Time Spiral

1 Braingeyser
    1 Mind Spring
    1 Stroke of Genius

// Stayin' Alive (13)

1 Pact of Negation
    1 Delay
    1 Mana Drain
    1 Mana Leak
    1 Memory Lapse
    1 Negate
    1 Remand

1 Xantid Swarm

1 Lull
    1 Moment's Peace
    1 Constant Mists
    1 Tangle

1 Oblivion Ring

Comments welcome.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Mythrandir

How quickly do you usually win?

i wont comment on the deck, since i´m not very familiar with heartbeat combo (never played it, nor against it)

Nastaboi

I haven't kept the record, but it's usually somewhere between 6th and 8th turn when I go off. 5th turn wins happen. Actual winning often happens many turns later because of savage Time Walking, but opponent won't get more than six or seven turns. What matters is that I am always a turn faster than RG(x) beatz which matters - unless they get Winter Orb which straight out wins.  ;)

This deck, among many others, should raise the question about Gifts' banning. Resolved Gifts always wins the game on spot.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Nastaboi on 06-10-2008, 10:25:20 PM
I haven't kept the record, but it's usually somewhere between 6th and 8th turn when I go off. 5th turn wins happen. Actual winning often happens many turns later because of savage Time Walking, but opponent won't get more than six or seven turns. What matters is that I am always a turn faster than RG(x) beatz which matters - unless they get Winter Orb which straight out wins.  ;)

hmm.. quite good then. And how about decks a little more controllish? With counters?

QuoteThis deck, among many others, should raise the question about Gifts' banning. Resolved Gifts always wins the game on spot.

Gifts is probably the best tutor in the format, right now. Specially for LFTL users. you cant go wrong with LFTL in grave + nice lands. ;) That is why it´s on the watch list.

MarcMagic

imo turn 6-8 is too late for a combo deck to kill! especially with only 5 counters and no removal. it may work against creature-based decks but u shouldnt be able to win any control mus?! well i got neither experience with heartbeat combo but i tried faster combo decks with more disruption and they still sucked :[

Nastaboi

Against control you just outdraw them. They have no clock, so you don't have to be fast. You have mana superiority, and with enough lands on the table you'll eventually resolve one draw spell and then they can't stop the tide. Multicolored control decks seldom pack ten or more counters. U(x) Skies is the hard one, because they have counters AND clock, and usually Winter Orb which just wins.

Nastaboi

New list! Changes:

- Overgrowth
- Far Wanderings
- Recall

+ Delay
+ Negate
+ Lull

MarcMagic

i just again took a look at ur list respecting the GP in about 2 weeks @ aachen and dont think u can beat any good RG list! even w/o 2 bloodmoon effects and winter orb u just die turn 4-6. against defenseless combobuilds aggro takes u out at the latest at turn 5. u have to be faster i guess..

dunno what ur meta looks like but combo which needs more than 5 turns to win is simply not good enough imo! i would lose evry game : )

Nastaboi

You have obviously never seen the deck in play, or played Heartbeat in standard nor Aluren in old old Extended. I certainly wouldn't call a deck with 2 walls, 4 fogs (3 of which reusable, plus Turnaubout) and 6 cheap counters "defenseless". Usually I just counter a second or third turn threat while ramping mana and time walk with a fog by turn 5 or 6 if needed (remember to Intuition for three fogs).

With this deck you have to know what you are doing. Hundreds of goldfishes do help, but if you've played combo decks before it shoudn't be too hard to find out right plays. I have only lost to aggro decks when they have had Winter Orb or due to terrible landscrew/flood. Of course sometimes aggro can just goldfish faster, but no one is perfect.

My deck is by the way 100 % Moon/B2B proof. There are no non-basics.

I'd like to include Arcane Denial in somewhere, this is one of the few decks that wouldn't mind an opponent drawing two. Not to mention countering your own spells.

[EDIT:] Arcane.

Mythrandir

Quote from: Nastaboi on 28-11-2008, 02:23:17 PM

I'd like to include Arcane Delay in somewhere, this is one of the few decks that wouldn't mind an opponent drawing two. Not to mention countering your own spells.

Probably meant arcane denial no? I´ve used to run it but the +2 draw hurtsmy deck, your probably not that bad since you can probably win before losing to card advantage,

Ball.Lightning

Hi,
I let myself inspired with this deck. I love this idea and game events that ocur. I would like to share what I found and ask you for little help.

The main win condition remained the same - Heartbeat + Palinchron + Stroke letting oponent to outdraw oponent. I have thinned the win condition (Mana Reflection, Rude Awakening) and added tutors (Academy Rector, Wargate). There are more lands to ensure at least 4 lands on turn 4. I removed some dead cards, that are good just when you are comboing (Sapphire Medallion, Rude Awakening, Relearn, Meditation) or some that lead to card disadvantage and aren't good enought (Xantid Swarm, Lull, Constant Mist). The major changes were made on the field of defensive cards - original build could solve serious threads (that were not countered) just bouncing them back to hand or by using of Oblivion Ring. Doing so required to win on the same or next turn, which needn't to be so easy to do. New version contains more pernament distuption (Krosan Grip, StP and I test one new removal Resounding Silence(just because of cycling ability)). To stop agro i loaded 2 more walls, that draw a card on CIP. With enourmous card advantage, which this deck provides it is much easier to find solution for unpleasant situation.

I tried to improve matchup against agro, which wasn't quite impressive and i got offten stuck and was not able to combo out. Single enchantment disruption could ruin the day.

In our meta agro rules, but time to time one meet control. I made score 13:0:3 during our HL season. I must admit that we play games for 25 lifes total, that helps a little, but additional lifes were seldom needed. But yes, it makes things a little bit easier :-)

Why to play this deck? It is fun to play this deck and sometimes one have to solve realy difficult decisions. This deck has unique win condition and is solid enough to be competitive. And name some other HL deck, that use infinite mana to win :-)

May be it is not the best deck in HL and there is ton's of answers to stop this combo, but there is no broken strategy and every deck can be defeated.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
    11 [UNH] Forest
    11 [UNH] Island
    1 [IA] Snow-Covered Island
    1 [IA] Snow-Covered Forest
    1 [ON] Wooded Foothills
    1 [R] Tropical Island
    1 [A] Savannah
    1 [ON] Flooded Strand
    1 [ON] Polluted Delta
    1 [CS] Snow-Covered Plains
    1 [ON] Windswept Heath

// Tutors
    1 [RAV] Drift of Phantasms
    1 [CHK] Gifts Ungiven
    1 [8E] Merchant Scroll
    1 [MOR] Idyllic Tutor
    1 [6E] Enlightened Tutor
    1 [UD] Academy Rector
    1 [ARB] Wargate

//Regrowth
    1 [10E] Recollect
    1 [JGC] Regrowth
    1 [TO] Nostalgic Dreams
    1 [FD] Eternal Witness

//Untap
    1 [MI] Early Harvest
    1 [US] Turnabout
    1 [P3] Capture of Jingzhou
    1 [P2] Temporal Manipulation
    1 [TE] Time Warp
    1 [US] Time Spiral
    1 [UL] Palinchron

//Speedup
    1 [TSP] Search for Tomorrow
    1 [DIS] Utopia Sprawl
    1 [6E] Wild Growth

1 [CHK] Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 [FUT] Edge of Autumn
    1 [P3] Three Visits
    1 [5E] Nature's Lore
    1 [RAV] Farseek
    1 [CS] Into the North
    1 [8E] Rampant Growth
    1 [MI] Wall of Roots

1 [PS] Sunscape Familiar
    1 [VI] Helm of Awakening

1 [IN] Harrow

//Defense
    1 [SH] Wall of Blossoms
    1 [RAV] Carven Caryatid
    1 [AP] Jungle Barrier

1 [IN] Tangle
    1 [OD] Moment's Peace

1 [ALA] Resounding Silence
    1 [A] Swords to Plowshares

1 [GP] Repeal
    1 [IN] Repulse
    1 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
    1 [TSP] Krosan Grip

1 [MOR] Negate
    1 [7E] Memory Lapse
    1 [ARE] Mana Leak
    1 [RAV] Remand
    1 [FD] Condescend
    1 [ON] Complicate
    1 [4E] Counterspell / Mana Drain

//Hearhtbeat
    1 [CHK] Heartbeat of Spring
    1 [JU] Mirari's Wake

// Card advantage
    1 [RAV] Compulsive Research
    1 [LRW] Mulldrifter
    1 [UL] Frantic Search

1 [TSP] Careful Consideration
    1 [FUT] Foresee
    1 [OD] Concentrate
    1 [FNM] Fact or Fiction
    1 [REW] Harmonize

1 [10E] Tidings
    1 [ON] Future Sight

1 [SC] Mind's Desire
    1 [MOR] Mind Spring
    1 [US] Stroke of Genius
    1 Braingeyser

//Bussines
    1 [FNM] Impulse
    1 [5E] Brainstorm
    1 [LRW] Ponder
    1 [SHM] Manamorphose
    1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top

Some cards I was thinking of - Evacuation, Wall of Shards, Time Stop, Trade Secrets, Solitary Confidement, Cryptid Annelid.

Comments are welcomed.

<I am sorry for my english>

Tabris

Hi, I am trying to build this deck for my local highlandergroup but I am a littlebit confused because the only winoptions are Stroke of Genius and Rude Awakeing, right? I tried this deck on mws and its realy funny to play but still I´am still not sure if a red-splash would be better bc of:

A) Manaflare (doing the same thing like Heartbeat)
B) More Winconditions (Banefire, Demonfire)

----------------
Now playing: Dinosaur Jr. - In a jar
via FoxyTunes

Nastaboi

Yea, now with Enlightened Tutor banner UGr is definately the way. I have not really touched the deck since that announcement, but I am fooling around with mono blue High Tide deck with a light splash.

Tabris

Quote from: Nastaboi on 19-09-2009, 09:42:53 PM
... but I am fooling around with mono blue High Tide deck with a light splash.

sounds interessting, maybe more specific? ;)

Well with a red splash, the deck could use some improvements overthere, bc its missing removal and stuff ;(

----------------
Now playing: Dinosaur Jr. - Lose
via FoxyTunes

lio123

Why is version with red better than version with white? You still have Idylic tutor, Sterling Grove and Mirari's Wake (ok, mana flare is much better). And you have access to sweepers such as Wog. You don't need Banefire, you have Braingeyser and Stroke of Genius.