Main Menu

Invention of the Highlander Format

Started by Absolem, 03-07-2017, 12:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absolem

Hello my name is Malte and i am an Highlander Player in Berlin.

I'm interested in making our format more public and started our by creatin Highlander FNM Videos on Youtube in german.

Now i plan to make some Videos in english for all "European" Highlander Fans.
Two Videos will be about "What is Highander" and "How was the Format created?!" i plan to give players information about the Highlander Council.
I am sure, some years ago i read a thread about Highlander and i do remember it was a "loose" format with different rules and ban-list.
With the power of the internet the communitys linked each other so they could play together. Thats how the council was born.

Does anyone remember, where this thread is, so i can get some more extra information?

Maybe new / old Members of the council have some more information which you would like to share?

Is there anything you dont want in these videos? (I dont plan to include pre-names maybe i can use nicknames of this forum?)

I am happy for all the feedback you can give me.

Greetings

Maqi

Vazdru and Sturmgott should be the ones with the best insight on this. You might wanna check out the historical t8s of the HL GPs as there are certain distinguishable 'eras' to be found.

Vazdru

check this:

http://www.magicplayer.org/?id=eskannnureinengeben

written 06.01.2004 / first post ever about HL as we know it  ;)

historical data:
http://www.magicplayer.org/?id=webwatch
(sadly most links do not work anymore, a few still do)

Sturmgott formed the HL Council 2004/2005 ?!
I joined maybe 2007/2008 ?!

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

ChristophO

I think it is important to stress that 100c singleton has been around forever. I remember playing it at the "Drachenei" store in Hamburg back in ~97. Back then I was just the new kid. How times have changed.

W0lf

The first time I played hl with my friends was around 2001. We played it without a banlist and even added unhinged cards to our decks.

Vazdru

yeah, that's right
HL was all around even before 2004
in Karlsruhe we played Thoule-Highlander, I played my first hl tournament around 2000

but the main difference was that HL wasn't unified till 2004 and even then there were many discussion which rules are the best - e. g. different Banned-lists, Mulligan-styles of NRW community vs Karlsruhe community etc

this Website (mp.org) started a process to bring different communities together to find a common ground for playing
that enabled tournaments where Fins played vs Austrians in a German HL Tournament
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.