Main Menu

Ladder Tournament 2016 - Reports

Started by Vazdru, 25-01-2017, 10:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Pairings: (seed)

Quarterfinals:

a) Payron 2 Academy.dec (one) - pmk 3 Izzet-Control (eight)

b) Vazdru 3 UGb Time Walk (four) - firestarter 2 Academy.dec (five)

c) r4nd0m 3 Academy.dec (three) - K0d013e4st 1 Izzet-Control (six)

d) TaZi 3 UGrb-Scapeshift (two) - Georg B 0 4c Blood (seven)

Semifinals:

pmk 2 Izzet-Control (eight) vs Vazdru 3 UGb Time Walk (four)
r4nd0m 1 Academy.dec (three) vs TaZi 3 UGrb-Scapeshift (two)

Finals:

Vazdru 0 UGb Time-Walk (four) vs TaZi 3 UGrb-Scapeshift (two)

Online Champion 2016: TaZi

gl to the partipants:

1. Payron - Runner-Up Metagame Masters, Online Champion 2013
2. TaZi - Top 8 Limited GP Utrecht, Champion HL GP X in 2012, Reigning Online Champion, Reigning HLL Champion, Runner-Up Metagame Masters 2016
3. r4nd0m - Top 8 + Top 16 Austrian Nationals, Online Champion 2012
4. Vazdru - Top 8 HL GP in 2014, The One - Finalist 2017
5. firestarter - 11 times HL GP Top 8, German HL National Champion 2011
6. K0d013e4st - Top 16 HL Cup in 2017
7. Georg B - Top 8 HL GP III in 2007
8. pmk - newcomer
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Vazdru

SEAT      PARTICIPANT      CODE   
   1      Payron      lsy30gr0   
   2      TaZi      cc9jtgjp   
   3      r4nd0m      j1vahamb   
   4      Vazdru      hksstiov   
   5      firestarter      9kr2g0io   
   6      K0d013e4st      ii9rshp9   
   7      Georg B      hnd45goc   
   8      pmk      vt1evqaa   

please finish the quarterfinals no later than February, 27th               
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Far below the earth

Vazdru

Quote from: Vazdru on 25-01-2017, 10:15:03 PM

Quarterfinals:

Semifinals:

pmk Izzet-Control (eight) vs Vazdru UGb Time Walk (four)
r4nd0m Academy.dec (three) vs TaZi UGrb-Scapeshift (two)

reports follow

please finish semifinals till March, 8th
Far below the earth

Georg B

Quote from: Payron on 05-02-2017, 05:54:20 PM
Tazi (4c Scapehsift) vs Georg (4c Blood)

Game 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4yFDL7l7Fc&list=PLJsYCeZCThFAn6LFPnSKzmmq_57AMZmrs

Game 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lqvPjITU4A&list=PLJsYCeZCThFAn6LFPnSKzmmq_57AMZmrs&index=2

Game 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRHfN_AhUYw&list=PLJsYCeZCThFAn6LFPnSKzmmq_57AMZmrs&index=3

3:0

Thanks for this.
I appreciate this serious work and I wish I could have given you some tighter games, but the conclusion of nearly each situation in whitch you were wondering why I did what I did is just simple: I am rusty! :)
Those where the first serious matches with the deck for me. But thankfully, they helped me overthinking the manabase and some cardchoices so I could perform quite well at the tournament one week later.
Yes, I quit Magic nearly entirely seven years ago and just played some few FNM, PRs an a bit of Magic Online and Cockatrice.

Vazdru

Far below the earth

Payron

TaZi

TaZi (Scapeshift) 3 - 1 Random (Academy Combo)

wie immer wird es in den kommenden Tagen kommentierte Versionen auf YouTube geben. Für alle die es nicht abwarten können und sofort sehen wollen mit welchem Irrsinnsluck dieses Scapeshift deck nun schon wieder gewonnen hat. Findet ihr in meiner Dropbox die Replays:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t2qpvql77vgxcuy/AACTNY1uwRxsmHC6TVVWux2oa?dl=0

Vazdru

As the vids will take a while here a short review of the quarterfinal
firestarter (Academy.dec) vs Vazdru (UGb Time Walk)

1: He won the roll and played fecthland go. I have Overgrown Tomb + Noble Hierarch. T2 he played Oath....ouch. As i don't know his deck and some decks just win with first activation and i couldn't handle Griselbrand, Jin-Gitaxias & co. too i decided to play Toxic Deluge for one  :-\ T3 he played Demonic Tutor for Forbidden Orchyard  ::) nice start for an oath-deck...I have Temporal Mastery as Miracle and Venser, Shaper Savant next turn which was a nice answer to this perfect start. He used eot Orchyard and I've had Venser for Oath. He made some more dudes and I dropped Garruk, Wildspeaker + Scavenging Ooze and had ultimate ready. His Oath revealed Snapcaster, Ooze took care. He had Chain of Vapor to survive a bit longer but as he can't find a solution for Garruk so i won.
0:1

2: He has an early Academy. Although I can counter his Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, he has enough mana to play Demonic Tutor + Timetwister same turn. I can handle Academy with Primal Command but he has Tezzeret, The Seeker for leathal damage next turn.
1:1

3: He has an early Academy + Timetwister again. This time I've found Force of Will + Venser. Force took care of Staff of Domination but he had Upheaval, which lead to Tezzeret, the Seeker for gg.
2:1

4: I have Search for Tomorrow + Brainstorm on early turns. T3 Sylvan Libary was nuts as i've drawn a mass of extra cards (had 5 lp at end of this game). His Crucible + Enlightened Tutor got countered so my creatures won me the game.
2:2

5: Noble Hierarch + Search for Tomorrow lead to T3 Jace, TMS which take control of the game and gave me enough card-advantage to take this game home.
2:3

Thx for the ggs.
Far below the earth

Payron

Vazdru

Paul (pmk) and me met at Pfannestiel to play our Semifinal.

pmk (Izzet-Control http://mtgpulse.com/event/26938#353606) vs Vazdru (UGb Time-Walk http://mtgpulse.com/event/26938#353688)

G1: He won the roll and started with suspended Visions T1 after a free Mulligan. I've kept my second 7 and had a slow start with T2 Overgrwon Battlement while Thing in the Ice already hit the board on his side. I've had Time Warp on T4 to dig for some answers for his Vision. We had a counter-war with Mana Drain (me) - Negate (pmk) - FoW pithing Personal Tutor (me) to deny Ancestral Vision which unfortunately awakened the 7/8 Horror (Gitaxian Probe, Lightning Bolt, Vision and Negate). As I've had no answer for the Horror, Snapcaster and Overgrown battlement were forced to jump-block. When he played Jace TMS I conceded.
1:0

G2: This time I started with T1 suspend Search for Tomorrow, he had Preordain T2. T3 my Courser entered the Battlefield which immediately started to generate some card advantage. He suspened Ancestral Vision T3, missed landdrop and passed. T4 he had Thing in the Ice but no landdrop again while I've had Vendilion Clique at eot which revealed: Spell Pierce, Spell Snare, Jace TMS, Grim Lavamancer and True-Name Nemesis - as he was land-screwed i've decieded to take nothing, started some beatings and added Thragtusk to the board. He finds fetchland from the top to play True-Name on 14 lp. T5 i played Time Warp and attacked for 3 again -pmk down to 8-. In my extra-turn I've played Snapcaster for Time Warp and another extra turn + attack for 3 again -pmk down to 5-. In my extraturn #2 I've played Demonic Tutor for Capture for another extra turn and the win.
1:1

G3: We both discarded first hand and started with the second one. He played Island pass. I've had Birds of Paradise. T2 another Island and pass. I've had Farseek for an Island but no more landdrop. T3 he had Goblin Rabblemaster, I've had only Lumbering Falls from the top which haven't helped much. At least his T4 Fact or Fiction got countered by Spell Pierce. I played Scavenging Ooze + Jace, Vryn's Prodigy. While he had some beatings and passes again I played Nissa, Vastwood Seer. Eot he had Mystic Confluence for 3 cards, played T6 Mizium Mortars with overload and attacked for 10. I've had one draw step for an answer but just can play Finks (back on 6 lp) and Goyf. He had enough tokens + red confluence to bring this one home.  
2:1

G4: He keeps and I hold second hand. T1+2: Land pass on both sides. T3 Tropical Island pass. He has Thing in the Ice (again) and my Counterspell got countered by Spell Pierce. T4 I have Courser (reveal Toxic Deluge) + Island. He played Mizium Mortars on Courser and Sulfur Falls. T5 I have Finks (lp 20), he has Island and passed. I play Nissa, Vastwood Seer on T6, he had PoP (he: 16 / me: 16 lp) + Bolt on Nissa eot. On his T6 he played Cryptic Command for bounce + draw and attacked with awackened Horror for 7 (me at 9). I've had Wall of Blossoms and Finks which got remanded. On his turn he played Ruination destroying Hinterland Harbor + Tropical Island and attacked with Horror (Wall jump-blocked)... looked quite grim at this moment, i was on the edge to lose this game and the match...I have Bayou (slowrolled) and was able to replay Kitchen Finks (11 lp) which blockes Horror (13 lp). Furthermore he added Batterskull in his turn. Now it was time for Toxic Deluge for 8 (he: 16, me: 5). He bounced and replayed Batterskull when I've had my first Time Walk in this game. In my turn i play Fact or Fiction with 4 open mana (but no landdrop yet) for this two piles: P1: Mana Drain, Ancestral Vision, Crush of the Tentacles vs. P2: Time Warp + Treasure Cruise ... both piles were looking quite decent. I took pile 1, added a land and played Crush of the Tentactles to bounce Batterskull and go. I attacked next turn for 8 (he: 8 / me: 5), he played Clique eot to get rid of my Temporal Manipulation (I've got Mystical Teachings). Fortunatly his Dack Fayden can't find a burn spell so Clique has to stay back to block the leathal attack next turn. I have Teachings for FoW and have still enough mana for Mana Drain rather flashback Teachings for Mystic Confluence. So he has no window to play Snapcaster on PoP which would have ended that game. So he tried Snappie which got countered (FoW, me on 4), blocked with Clique and conceded turn later.
2:2

this crazy g4 has been followed by an even crazier g5
in g4 he has already felt as safe winner but that Fact or Fiction into Crush of the Tentacles was the turning point in g4

G5: He started with first seven while i keep after free mulligan. He perfectly starts again with T1 Ancestral Vision. I have fetched Forest + Noble Hierarch. He plays T2 Island - go. I tried T2 Yavimaya Elder which got countered by Condescend (both cards stayed on top, which wasn't a good sign). T3 he played Lat Nam's Legacy + Burst Lightning on Hierarch. So i can only play Far Seek on Island and pass. He plays Shivan Reef T4 and pass. As I've had Remand + Mana Drain in hand I've needed that 3rd Island badly which unfortunately didn't come. Eot he played Izzet charm discarding Back to Basics and Island (he should have kept Charm as Counter maybe....see T5). So T5 his Visions goes on the stack. I played Remand and crossed fingers.... bam, worked - no counter. Probably the key moment of that Semifinal. Nevertheless he playesd Glen Elendra with one Island open, which prevent me from playing Jace TMS. So I've dropped Courser which again started to generate card advantage. When he tried Cryptic I have Mana Drain which got countered by Archmage. When he played Jace, Architect of Thought I've had the window to play Jace TMS, brainstrom 2 lands on top (which happened regularly from that moment on - while courser in play), play Search for Tomorrow for Island + Suspend Ancestral Vision.
He used Jace -2:
Pile 1: Fact or Fiction
Pile 2: Probe + Land. He played Fact or Fiction:
Pile 1: Preordain, Blood Moon, Land
Pile 2: Gearhulk + Young Pyromancer (as he had only one mana left).
Anyhow he took Pile 2.
Eternal Witness, Snapcaster and Courser finally killed his Jace. On the other side Torrential Gearhulk (Cryptic Command) eot on this next turn is able to bring mine down too.
He has Flametongue Kavu for Courser and the board was turning again. But he has no counter for my Vision which revealed Ponder, Capture of Xinyhe, Nissa, Vastwood Seer...that was the point where my deck got nuts....I play Capture, Nissa (-Forest), play Wasteland, flip Nissa, play + sac Sakura Tribe-Elder ->
extra turn #1: Nissa revealed Time Warp from the top, i play Time Warp + Seasons Past!  ;D...for Wasteland, Ponder, Snapaster, Eternal Witness, Jace TMS and Capture
extra turn #2: Nissa on 6 put Lumbering Falls in play, I play Snapcaster on Time Warp, Thragtusk
extra turn #3: Nissa on 7 puts Forest in play, play Eternal Witness for Capture, play Capture + Jace TMS which bounced Kavu, attack with team (Gearhulk was tapped as he killed Jace TMS)
extra turn #4: attack with team for the win ! :D
2:3

thx Paul for the great games! we started about quarter to 8 PM and last game ended about 22.30
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Quote from: Vazdru on 25-01-2017, 10:15:03 PM

Quarterfinals:

Semifinals:

Finals:

Vazdru UGb Time-Walk (four) vs TaZi UGrb-Scapeshift (two)

So we have a rematch of last years finals (http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=1168.15)
TaZi with Scapeshift again and me with a UGb Time Walk inspired by Simic Turboland aka Curb your Enthusiasm of Tyler Woolley (Canadian Highlander) http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/simic-turboland-dec-19th-2016/
We will play the finals soon.
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Finals of Ladder Tournament will take place at Pfannestiel tomorrow evening 19.30
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Quarterfinals:

Semifinals:

Finals:

Vazdru 0 UGb Time-Walk (four) vs TaZi 3 UGrb-Scapeshift (two)

Online Champion 2016: TaZi

congratz to old and new Online-Champion TaZi!
report follows
Far below the earth