Main Menu

HL Cup XVII 07.01.2017 [Maintal]

Started by Vazdru, 08-01-2017, 05:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

everything related to the recent HL Cup in Maintal with 95 players is welcome and will be gathered in this thread

there is mtgpulse-event too where you can add your decklists: http://mtgpulse.com/event/26740#351437
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Vazdru

Top 16:

PLACE            NAME         
   1            Dion Sabel         
   2            Martin Zimmermann         
   3            Matthias Hittel         
   4            Christian Hüttenberger         
   5            Sebastian Ziesche         
   6            Jan Dethloff         
   7            Sebastian Reichert         
   8            Fabian Mielke         
   9            Marc Bauerett         
   10            Thomas Hohenberg         
   11            Tobias Müller         
   12            Daniel Jacobs         
   13            Daniel Scherer         
   14            Dirk Schäffer         
   15            Alexander Vogel         
   16            Mirtosch Musevi         

note: price split by Top 4
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Far below the earth

Goblin-Diplomaten

I wrote down anything I could remember ;)

Deck Ub Aggro Control wizards

The tournament startet about an hour later than expected, so I use the time to scout for the most played decks and look through the foil binder at the store.
I saw a lot of Burn decks and UR Aggro/Control decks and I randomly also found a foil Chill in one of the binder. So I decided to last minute take out the negate from my list and add a Chill.

Round 1 - UW Control

My opponent puts his deckbox on the table and I can clearly see one basic Island. He also fails to shuffle his deck properly and flips a terminus. So I am sure he is on some kind of control deck.

Game 1

I win the roll and keep a hand with lands, flash creatures and counter. I add a delver too the board and flip him the next turn. My opponent gets stuck on tries to use councils Judgement against my delver, which indicates me that he does not have a wrath in hand. I add more cratures to the board, he tries to get Humility out. But have remand and the next turn venser to seal the deal.

Game 2

I keep an aggressive hand and he gets stuck on 3 lands. I think he lost pretty quick.

Score - 1:0:0

Round 2 - 5color Aggro - Ronald Lehmann

I know my opponent from some other tournaments and he always plays UR, so I set him on that deck.
He wins the roll.

Game 1

I keep a hand with 5 lands, Dig through time and Chill. I thought I had the nuts with my "sideboard" card in hand.
T1 he plays Tropical Island. I think, oke... maybe he is on Scapeshift. Next turn he adds Temple garden and plays Voice of Resurgence.
I get my turn 2 Chill out, but aint that happy anymore. I had to give him at least 2 voice token to counter bigger creatures and kill the voice.
He gets me down to 4 life with an active Deathrite Shaman, I have a Jace TMS in hand to hold him off the 2nd activation. I draw Temporal Mastery, I get a turn to attack and to stabilize with Jace.
I dont find the counter for deathrite but after 2-3 times of bouncing him I get enough damage through to kill my opponent.
In the middle of this card war he even resolves a 6 mana Bloodbraid Elf which he had in his opening hand, so in the end my turn 2 Chill did "something".

Game 2

I mulligan to 6 and keep a hand with Island, Karakas, Ancestral Vision, Spell Snare and 2 other cards. He starts off with a forest and I draw remand. So I decide to get the vision out as fast as possible and suspend it.
He has again turn 2 Voice and I get stuck on 2 lands.

Game 3

I keep an aggressive hand, t1 Delver t2 flip, in his turn I get out a 2/1 flier and hit him for 4 turns in the air. I have counter for everything he tries to do.

Score - 2:0:0

Round 3 - 4c Blood - Andre Luff

As my opponent gets on his seat, I remebered him playing against someone earlier this day because he had all duals blackbordered and signed. So I knew he would play 4c Blood.
I won the roll

Game 1

I start the game with Island into Bonesplitter which gets him wondering what deck I am playing. He starts with the typical T1 mana elf. I keep 2 mana open and he gets out a loxodon Smiter, since I am unable to counter I get out a 2/1 flash flier. I start beat him for 4 in the air the next turn.
He gets out a Reclamation Sage for my equipment. I don't remember everything but I am able to win the race with 4 life.

Game 2

He has an aggressive start and I spend to much time to find back to basics, so he has too much pressure for me and he wins easily.

Game 3

I keep a one lander with vision, ponder and back to basics. I first remove the visions and then find the 2 lands in the ponder at the next turn. I get out a turn 3 Back to Basics and he only has a deathrite shaman. I took me about 5 turns to find a creature but he is unable to stabilze so he scoops.

Score - 3:0:0

Round 4 - 5c OmniOath

he played next to me last round but I only saw him playing a lot of colors.
He won the roll.

Game 1

He gets turn 2 Talisman, in my turn 3 he tries to counter my creature which I fight for. Then he plays EOT Worldly Tutor for Academy Rector, which he gets out. He then plays High Market, sac rector get Omnisience, cast griselbrand, pay 7 life, cast Emrakul GG

Game 2

I get out turn 3 Back to Basics and he doesnt have an answer GG

Game 3

he starts with turn 2 talisman, I mystical for a demonic turor but keep both demonic and my black source in hand. he tapped everything for nahiri which I mana drain.
I have then enough mana to demonic for back to basics and casting it. It still takes some turns but he cant find lands to stabilize after that.

Score - 4:0:0

Round 5 - Marc Bauerett - GW Elves

I dont know him but expect some kind of burn deck.
He wins the roll but mulligans to 6

Game 1

I keep a hand with 3 lands, Chill, Jace Vryns Prodigy, Looter Il-kor and toxic deluge
He starts with forest mana elf, t2 two more mana elves. after he didnt play anything turn 3 I decide to deluge the board. He then gets Knight of the Reliquary out and I start to fight back with the Looter and a True-Name Nemesis. He is out of options and decided to cast
Armageddon. The Knight is big enough to kill me with one hit, so I keep the nemesis home and draw myself faster into the lands with the looter.

Game 2

He starts with Heritage Druid and get out my Delver. He plays Treetop Village and attacks with the elf, I attack him back for 1 and add an Island.
he plays a forest and attacks with elf and the village, sadly for him I have Withdraw to bounce them both. My Delver then flips and is able to hit him till he is dead.

Score - 5:0:0

Round 6 - Christian Hüttenberger - Jeskai Control

I thought I could draw the next to rounds, but Christian had only 13 points so we needed to play.

Game 1

I dont know what he is playing and I keep a midrange hand. I dont remember everything but I am way to slow and lose the game to a Karn Liberated

Game 2

Not much memory for this game either, but I lost it :/

Score - 5:1:0

Round 7 - Abzan Pattern Rector

I don't have much memory left of these games, I think I lost Game 1 to the value of turn 2 Voice of resurgence.
I won Game 2 with an aggressive turn2 flipped delver
And I won Game 3 because he had to mulligan to 5 and kept a one lander without any 1 drops.

Score - 6:1:0 - first place after swiss

At the top 8, I had to play against my buddy Fabian Mielke with UR Control. I won against him thanks to Chill but I already split the prize with him.
Me and the other top4 players decided to split the price money, so there are no more games.

Maqi

Here's how my HL Cup went:

The day before, our playgroup had a heavy testing session, during which I lost so many times with my trusty 4c Blood that I decided to pull the last minute audible.

I went home, brewed a completely untested 4c Scapeshift list. This took me until 3 am.

Fast forward: I end the Cup with a 0:2 drop. :D

I want to take this opportunity to deliver a big "THANK YOU" from JK-Entertainment to the HL community for being awesome!1

Dr. Opossum

Thanks for the great tournament reports to Jan and Dion! Enjoyed reading them.

Vazdru

Far below the earth

Vazdru

Top 16 grid with archetypes

PLACE            NAME            Points      OMW      Archetype   
   1            Dion Sabel            18      60,2%      Ub Aggrocontrol   
   2            Martin Zimmermann            18      52,3%      Mono Blue Control   
   3            Matthias Hittel            17      56,8%      Sultai Midrange   
   4            Christian Hüttenberger            17      56,2%      Jeskai Control   
   5            Sebastian Ziesche            18      51,6%      Scapeshift   
   6            Jan Dethloff            17      61,2%      5C Aggro   
   7            Sebastian Reichert            16      67,4%      Abzan Midrange   
   8            Fabian Mielke            16      62,0%      Izzet Control   
   9            Marc Bauerett            15      64,6%      Gw Elves   
   10            Thomas Hohenberg            15      63,5%      RDW   
   11            Tobias Müller            15      60,2%      Abzan Pattern Rector   
   12            Daniel Jacobs            15      59,7%      Izzet Control   
   13            Daniel Scherer            15      57,9%      RDW   
   14            Dirk Schäffer            15      56,8%      RDW   
   15            Alexander Vogel            15      56,5%      Izzet Control   
   16            Mirtosch Musevi            15      56,1%      RDW   
Far below the earth