Main Menu

How to customize Cockatrice [Appearance, Sounds & Tokens]

Started by DarkLight, 18-09-2016, 09:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkLight

Hey my fellow Cockatrice Highlander players,
because I was asked why I use different endings on my tokens (for example VampireLL, VampireF, ...), I thought it is time to share how I and how you easy can customize cockatrice for a better visual experience.

[1] Changing the shown version of cards

[2] Changing the appearance of your board/table.

- Enter the Cockatrice folder (For example: C:\Program Files\Cockatrice)
- If it doesn't exist create a folder named 'themes' in this folder
- In the 'themes' folder you create a subfolder named for example 'Custom Theme'
- In this folder you copy your cardback.svg which is changing the appearance of the backside of your deck and face-down cards on the board like sleeves.
- To change the table/board appearance you create in the 'Custom Theme' folder another subfolder named 'zones'

Measurements I use (I never found official recommended measurements):
handzone.jpg: 1500x225
stackzone.jpg & playerzone.jpg: 225x750
tablezone.jpg: 1200x440
- To activate your 'Custom Theme', change under Settings -> Appearance 'Current theme:' to your theme, restart Cockatrice

For example this is how my board/table looks like:

[3] Change Sounds for different steps/phases
This helped me alot to realize what my opponent is doing at the moment without always watching the steps/phases at the left side or reading the messages at the right side
- Enter your Cockatrice folder
- Enter the folder 'sounds' and create again a subfolder named for example 'Custom Sounds'
- In this folder you can directly can copy your step/phase sounds as .wav file
- The files should be named like this for whatever you want to use them:
all_mention.wav
attack_step.wav
block_step.wav
chat_mention.wav
damage_step.wav
draw_card.wav
draw_step.wav
end_combat.wav
end_step.wav
life_change.wav
main_1.wav
main_2.wav
play_card.wav
player_disconnect.wav
player_join.wav
player_reconnect.wav
private_message.wav
roll_dice.wav
shuffle.wav
start_combat.wav
tap_card.wav
untap_card.wav
untap_step.wav
upkeep_step.wav
- To activate your 'Custom Sounds', change under Settings -> Sound 'Current sound theme:' to your theme, restart Cockatrice

[4] Create Tokens
- If there is a 'tokens.xml' in your Cockatrice folder, but you want to use your own customized tokens delete the existing tokens.xml. In my opinion the standard tokens.xml is sh*t anyway.
- You create a new tokens.xml as soon as you create new tokens via 'Card Database' -> Edit Tokens, with the tokens you use the most
- The destination for your custom tokens is for example the folder \Cockatrice\pics\downloadedPics\TK you can save the pictures as .jpg or .png files for tokens
- Name the token image in the 'TK' folder exactly like the token you created via Card Database -> Edit Tokens for the tokens.xml (for example you created a 'VampireLL' token you have to name the Image 'VampireLL.full'

If you have questions about customizing Cockatrice feel free to ask me in this thread, on Cockatrice or Discord.
Formerly known as With-FuLL-Force.

Shaldares

This guide is extremely useful. But you can't just copy out cardback.cvg anymore. However, you can easily find an image of card sleeves and save them as cardback.png/gif/jpg etc. You put it outside the zones folder, but inside the theme folder. You can also change the image for cards in hand and name it hand and it should work. Personally, I took my sleeve and used paint 3D to make a 3 sleeve picture with a transparent background.

Also, I have some accurate measurements for you...

handzone: 400x113 (The horizontal value on this one is not accurate, but it's what they used. It should be around 40% larger).
playerzone: 172x521
stackzone: 100x405
tablezone: 792x405

r4nd0m1

Ah, I just saw this  ::)

Very nice guide! - please let me add the Sounds and Theme I use.

DarkLight

To change the appearance of your cockatrice client in darkmode move the marked file into the marked folder

Formerly known as With-FuLL-Force.