Main Menu

Why It’s Urgent to Change the HL-Council-Situation NOW (please read, no rant)

Started by berlinballz, 01-04-2016, 02:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Quote from: berlinballz on 05-04-2016, 11:17:54 AM
And there it is. The thing I specifically didn't want to get into and still don't. The part where it gets personal.

Could it be you apply double standards? One for you and one for anyone else? (no rhetorical question)

Quote from: berlinballz on 01-04-2016, 02:43:22 PM
I'm sorry to say it, but the current council has basically done NOTHING for Highlander in a very long time and by this i don't mean weeks, I mean years. The only person in the council that has really done anything in the real world recently to push the format is one of its newest members Dr. Opossum (Tabris honorable mention for MGM coverage).

Why is this a problem? It is a problem, because it's the council who the community still looks to, hoping for improvement and progress. The current members seemingly are burned out, have no time, drive or ability to do this and by their passiveness are setting a horrible example. It seems like bans and unbans lately are happening solely to justify the existence of the council. They don't.

Quote from: berlinballz on 02-04-2016, 09:16:10 PM
1) Make the council representative: There is no point in having 2 people from Mannheim, 2 from Berlin and 2 from Finnland in the council, sorry. Each meta game 1 representative is enough. I believe it should be Vazdru (Mannheim) and Jonny (Berlin) as their contributions to Highlander are probably on legendary level right now. One in Finnland unless they have two large metas, don't know this. This is ABSOLUTELY NOT against Dr. Opossum and Mannheim 2(I know him and his real name etc. but don't know his forum name, jesus, so complicated). I REALLY love especially what Dr. Opossum does for the community, but honestly you don't need to be in the council for that.

Furthermore it is hard to argue with someone and deal with an approach which is messed/mixed up with every new post.  
Don't take this personal - thanks in advance.
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

berlinballz

I don't take any of this personal  :)  I must say though that marking stuff red and feeling superior for nitpicking and acting like there was a very clever point made fits perfectly with the "Teachers-of-All"-Mentality of the council that you guys unfortunately do a much better job of proving than I ever could.

Any person I mentioned I mentioned in the context of the council constellation and added only things I truly find positive about them. The thing that worries me is the council group's dynamic or unfortunate lack thereof. I would love if we could get back to constructive stuff now, as again, I did not ask for this kind of schoolyard stuff, but for systemic change, by trying to be on point and reasonable.

Vazdru

Quote from: berlinballz on 05-04-2016, 04:28:12 PM
a very clever point made fits perfectly with the "Teachers-of-All"-Mentality of the council that you guys unfortunately do a much better job of proving than I ever could.

You are welcome, this leason was for free.

But now back to topic:

Lets make things real and this statements become more concrete:

Quote from: Vazdru on 02-04-2016, 11:06:28 AM
I agree that there should be some representatives for every bigger hl-playgroup.
I agree that there doesn't need to be a maximum headcount for the council.

But before I start one thing first you should keep in mind:
The highlander council is based on democratic principles. As I am no legandary leader but just 1/8 of a democratic system thus the presented approach has been passed if at least 4 of my collegues will say "go" instead of "no".

My rough idea as basis for further discussion is like that:

1) Start the process by giving following communities a seat in the highlander council:

Erfurt
Würzburg
Frankfurt a. M.
Leipzig/Halle
Kuopio
Banská Bystrica

The other ones will follow as soon a coordintor (see below) for this process has been found.

2) Representative:
The communities may choose their representative for the highlander council on their own.

3) Coordination of process:
To lead this process we kindly ask following persons to help us in that case and act as coordinators:

Payron for Erfurt
derStefan82 for Würzburg
Promole/K0d013e4st for Frankfurt
Joern/Tom Fischer for Leipzig/Halle
Mesmer for Kuopio
Dalibor for Banská Bystrica

A coordinator can be named as reprentative (except Dalibor as he is already part of the council).

4) Selection of representatives:
The named person will be granted a seat in the highlander council as long no other member of this community like to join and leave a message on this board within one week after the name has been announced by the coordinator.
As we don't like to have crucial votes or election battles within one commmunity which would lead inevitable to disharmony or conflicts the council will offer to choose from the candidates by democratic decision if there are still more than one person out of a community wanna join.

5) Mandate
A representative will stay in the council as long he/she doesn't
* resign
* dispelled with 2/3 majority of the other council members
* after one year if there is a rival candidate of the same community - then the current council members will vote
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

W0lf

That sounds exactly like the old model except with more seats. Really at least try to be creative...

Having more Representatives from different communities in the council is just 50% of what is needed.
All of these seats have to be democratically elected by their communities, this includes the existing members aswell.

Payron

Sure I will act as coordinator, just ask me if you need something.

@Wolf: Not everybody thinks the council needs to be overrolled totaly.

W0lf

I was talking about democratic legitimation my friend,nothing else.
It´s not like they have a choice in the long run anyway....

derStefan82

Agree with Payron.

I'm happy to act as a coordinator as well.

My feeling is that most of the communities are pretty happy with their current representatives in the council.

W0lf

Quote from: derStefan82 on 06-04-2016, 04:52:59 PM
Agree with Payron.

I'm happy to act as a coordinator as well.

My feeling is that most of the communities are pretty happy with their current representatives in the council.

I agree with you. Now why is this a reason not to vote?

Joern

Coordination:

- We want to participate in the process of modernizing "german highlander" and it's accessibility.
- We are satisfied with the work of the council.
- I will act as a coordinator, and think, Tom will too. We will accept the "Leipzig/Halle"-thing.
- We are looking forward to do elections.

Representation:

- will lead to more satisfaction in the highlander-community.
- will make the decisions less attackable.
- will multiply the engagemant for the format.
- is a "plus" to german highlander.
- isn't hard to realize.

Transparency:

- will lead to more understandable decisions.
- will spread the discourse about what is important for the format. Also helps to define, what is german highlander for most of us.
- will empower people, to make good decisions.
- leads to a multi-perspective decision-making-process
- will help, to get ideas involved, that otherwise were hidden (e.g. open access wish-list for website, etc.).