Main Menu

Ladder Tournament 2015 - Reports

Started by Vazdru, 07-01-2016, 10:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Pairings: (seed)

Quarterfinals:

a) Payron 2 Artifact Combo-Control (one) - Vazdru 3 Dimir Control (eight)

b) Nastaboi 3 Creatureless Azorius Combo-Control (four) - ChristophO 0 Abzan Pattern-Rector (five)

c) r4nd0m 3 Azorius Control (three) - Maqi 2 4c Blood (six)

d) goblinpiledriver 2 Azorius Control (two) - Tazi 3 UGr-Scapeshift (seven)

Semifinals:

Vazdru 3 Dimir Control (eight) vs Nastaboi 2 Creatureless Azorius Combo-Control (four (four)
r4nd0m 0 Azorius Control (three) vs TaZi 3 UGr-Scapeshift (seven)

Finals:
Vazdru 2 Dimir Control (eight) vs TaZi 3 UGr-Scapeshift (seven)

Highlander: TaZi

gl to the partipants:

1. Payron - Runner-Up Metagame Masters, Online Champion 2013
2. goblinpiledriver - Champion HL Grand Prix Nr. 8, Runner-up HL Grand Prix Nr. 9, Runner-Up German HL Nationals 2011, Reigning Online Champion
3. r4nd0m - Top 8 + Top 16 Austrian Nationals, Online Champion 2012
4. Nastaboi - Champion Finnish HL Nationals 2011, Runner-Up Finnish Legacy Nationals 2013, Online Champion 2009 and 2010
5. ChristophO - Legacy GP Gent Top 32, German HL Nationals 2011 semifinalist
6. Maqi - Champion HL Grand Prix Nr. 15, Four-times HL Grand Prix Top 8, Runner-Up Metagame Masters
7. Tazi - Top 8 GP Utrecht, Champion HL Grand Prix Nr. 10, Reigning HLL Champion
8. Vazdru - HL Grand Prix Top 8, Runner-Up Online Championship 2014
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Vazdru

Payron and me have scheduled quarterfinal Wednesday Jan 27th, 8.30 PM
Far below the earth

Dr. Opossum

Quote from: TaZi on 19-01-2016, 12:20:50 AM

TaZi 3:2 GoblinPiledriver

Game 1
=======
my hand after free mull: drain, witness, snapcaster, maze, 3 lands
jochens hand: wrath, gideon, hangarback walker, condescend 3 lands
jochen starts with his walker which gets pumped the first turns. I fiddle around with rishadan port a bit and eventually cast sylvan scrying for thespian stage. When the walker starts attacking, I play maze and hope to counter any wrath. We fight about with our threads (I counter his gideon, he counters witness and snappy) but I resolve true name nemesis, which goes all the way as I can counter the wrath on the important turn.

Game 2
=======
my hand: Dark Depths, maze, threasure cruise, flame tongue, three visits, 2 lands
his hand: 4 lands, mana leak, remand, dragonlord ojutai
his first play is jace, vryns prodigy on his third turn. As I played the visits on my second, I can flame tongue his jace and have some pressure on the board to handle his narset on the next turn. But he also is tapped out after narset and my jace, TMS sticks and practically seals the game at this point as he never leaves the table, though the battle rages on for quite some time.

Game 3
=======
my hand: spell pierce, noxious revival, dig, treetop, 3 other lands
his hand: true name, clique, path, oust
after killing his clique with a fire ice, jochen can play wasteland and true name nemesis on his fourth turn. I have no blue due to some bad landplays/fetch decisions. I can race the true name for quite some time with huntmaster and treetop. but eventually both get handled and I'm just not fast enough.

Game 4
=======
my 6 cards: merch. scroll, sylvan lib, electrolyze, 3 lands
his hand: 5 lands, negate, logic knot
He draws miscalculation which counters my scroll. eventually jace is played on an empty table to bounce the sylvan library. This gives me a window to play crop rotation and add a DD to my thespian stage. Though I'm not bold enough to crack it right away. He plays wasteland which keeps my combo in check. At the end of my next turn jochen tries to waste my thespian stage (I have no idea why) when I create a token in response. He miracles an entreat the angels for 3 token on his turn and I think the game is likely to be over as I only have to find the fifth land in my sylvan library to play bring to light for a blue command. Unluckyly the land is a valakut and the token gets handled on the next turn. The remaining token evtually kills me =(.

Game 5
=======
my hand: goyf, sylvan scrying, scapeshift, 4 lands
his hand: 4 lands, bribery, back to basics, counterspells
The hand plays out as nicely as it looks. the goyf sticks and starts bashing. A back to basics also enters the game and locks down 2 of my lands. not much else happens and when he taps out for a geist of saint traft, I just play my 6th land, search for the 7th with three visist and play scapeshift for the win, which is commented by a single "what".

r4nd0m1

r4nd0m1 (UW Control) 3 : 2 Maqi (Blood)

->G1 I keep a decent hand on the draw with Path, Babyjace, Elspeth, Wrath and 3 good lands, but he has a really strong draw with IOK, Voice and Lili and Huntmaster on turn 4. I can draw some cards and Wrath, but his Natural Order (Titan, Wasteland, Tec Edge), Lingering Souls, Lili ultimate, Ajani V and Sorin Solemn Visitor do me in, while I am cantripping for lands.

->G2 I keep a (too) risky hand with Ancestral Vision, Mystical Tutor, only one Island and StoP, Azorius Charm, Counterspell and Bribery, suspending Visions. He starts out with Aether Vial and I draw an island, play eot Mystical for Ponder. Ponder finds only 1 Island, but with Into the Roil on top and Counterspell up, i decided to better keep the one Island and miss a landdrop next turn, with Visions coming in the turn after that.

Ajani V gets countered, Vial gets bounced, but he has manacreatures and Natural Oder for Titan and Waste- and manland, aswell as Tasigur, as i draw another Island and Bribery for Siege Rhino, but 2 manlands and Zealous Persecution are enough.

->G3 my hand is pretty good with scryland into cantrip plus Spell Snare, Repeal, See Beyond, 3 lands and I draw Wrath, as he starts with Treetop Village and Sylvan Caryatid. Miscalculation, second Wrath and big Elspeth and lands are drawn and 2 manacreatures and Thrun are played, as I cycle and Wrath. His Lingering Souls and Xenagos are then met by Maze of Ith and a topdecked Mana Drain (declining to play Remand to set up Elspeth with Remand backup). Dreadbore gets cast twice over 2 turns, but my 6 token, Maze, Dig Trough Time and Mystical for Sphinx's Revelation put me in a position where I dont even need to care about his Tasigur, Sorin, Goyf and manland.

Instead, I can play more Land, Fact, Top, Batterskull, Treasure Cruise, while giving him relatively useless cards with Tasigur and eventually Wrath into Bribery for Witness for Sphinx's Revelation.

Future Sight and Top force him to Abrupt Decay, but that opens him up to Back to Basics.

->G4 is really tight, but I can keep a good hand with Condemn, Path, Mana Tithe, TC, See Beyond, Arid Mesa, Island.
He has a relatively slow draw with manland, Smiter, Garruk, Tasigur, Rhino, then Vindicate and Helix. I handle his Smiter and Rhino, but Garruk and Tasigur stick, as I play See Beyond and more Lands, drawing Rev, Counsil's Judgment and BtB.

TC finds an untapped land and Mystic Confluence(!), boucing the Tasigur, a beast and his Treetop, setting up Counsils for Garruk and BtB with Mana Tithe backup, which counters a Vindicate!

->G5 he has a turn 2 Smiter, but I scryland into Path, miracle Terminus, Merchant Scroll for Force, then TC. He doesnt have anything else except for 3 removal and more lands and concedes on the spot.

Thanks Maqi for the ggs, hope you still had some fun :D

Here are the replays: http://www.filedropper.com/160124ladderqfreplayvsmaqi

Vazdru

after two quite close quarterfinals the first semifinal is settled:

r4nd0m with Azorius Control face TaZi with UGr-Scapeshift

gl & hf
Far below the earth

Maqi

Games were fun. No worries, but at one point it felt like whatever worst card there was for me, you just had it turn after turn. Culminating in that Mana Tithe... geez... didn't feel that good at that moment. :)

Vazdru

Quote from: r4nd0m1 on 24-01-2016, 10:30:30 PM

Here are the replays: http://www.filedropper.com/160124ladderqfreplayvsmaqi

thanks for sharing replays
game 3 was really close one  :) that second wrath into mana drain Xenagos into big Else into Remand Dreadbore made me   ??? :o ::)
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Vazdru (Dimir Control) vs Payron (Artifact Combo-Control)

g1: i won the roll, free mull no-lander and keep: 2 fetch-lands, Gitaxian Probe, Nihil Spellbomb, Spell Snare, Lili, DTT. Probe reveals: Karakas, Tropical, Mana Stone, Transmute Artifact, Ring of Brighthearth, Wheel of Fortune and DTT too. Spell Snare countered Grim Monolith, Lili sticks and we start discarding. Preordain reveals no land for him so he stays on 2 Mana instead of Land + Manastone. My Ponder reveals 3 Islands on the top in return. After shuffle i've got Hero's Downfall which immetiatly hit the bin. My mainphase DTT added Inquisition so his Transmute Artifact was gone + Nightveil Specter which started eating some cards (Stroke of Genius, Fetchland...). Lili ticks up irrisistible and ultimated at 7 to stay on board for a while longer. When i play Glen Elendra after that he conceded.

1:0

g2: he keeps 2-lander, Mox Diamond, Basalt Monolith, Mana Drain, Trinket Mage, Thopter Foundry. I have Island, Karakas, Sensei's, Stifle, Dimir Charm, Shadow of Doubt and Wurmcoil Engine which was a bad keep in retrospect. He starts T1 with Mox+Foundry, T2 he added Trinket Mage which forced Stifle. I tried Sensei's at 3 Mana to keep Shadow of Doubt mana open but he tried Mana Drain so I've played Spell Pierce to protect my Sensei...having only one mana left... Misplayed that as he got Demonic Tutor for Sword of the Meek unfortunatly which i can't handle in time.

1:1

g3: I have 2 Islands, Tectonic Edge, Jace TMS, Preordain, Night's Whisper and DTT. He went down to following 5: Fastbond, Furnace, DTT, Mox Opal, Academy Ruins and Chrome Mox from the top to clean his hand and drop all cards T1. Eot i play Msytical for Mana Drain and counter any random spell to add Jace on board which started fateseal Payron's top card and keeps him in check somehow. In the end i win with massive card advantage and Jace's ulitimate.

2:1

I will add reports of g4 and g5 tomorrow  
Far below the earth

Maqi

Vazdru

g4: he mulls to 6 and keeps: Seat of the Synod, Buried Ruins, Mana Drain, Ponder, Basalt Monolith and Candelabra. I have Island, Swamp, Tolaria West, Small Jace, Preordain, Nihil Spellbomb and Mystic Confluence. T2 he had 2 lands, Fellware Stone + Candelabra in action. T3 3rd land + Basalt Monolith. I add Jace afterwards, Spellbomb rdy to protect me against any gy-based combo. He plays Balefux Strix and have Mana Drain + Sphinx Revelation in hand. I play nothing T4 to have mana for casting Recoil if necessary as i was in fear of Power Artifact Combo or something like that, hiding Jace TMS and Glen Elendra in hand. Strix kills Small Jace and go. I play land and tried to get some protection via Glen Elendra, but the Faerie got drained. He topdecks Tezzeret the Seeker to complete infinite Mana Combo with Basalt Monolith + Ring of Brighthearth to draw 80 cards + 80 lp with Sphinx Revelation, adds Fastbond and emptied my library with Stroke of Genius.

2:2

so we had a decider like the other quarterfinalists too

g5 was imo by far the best game of this series:
his first 7: 5 lands, basalt monolith, Zuran Orb -> Free Mull
my first 7: 2 Islands, Repeal, Snapcaster, Trinket Mage, Shadowmage Infiltrator, Small Jace -> Free Mull
his second 7: 1-lander with some uncastable stuff -> Mull to 6
my second 7: Swamp, Gitaxian Probe, Brainstorm, Stifle, Trinket Mage, Shadow of Doubt, Small Jace again -> Mull 6
his 6: Workshop, Karakas, Fellware Stone, Voltaic Key, Mystical and Intuition -> keep
my 6: Island, Swamp, Maze of Ith  :(, Baleful Strix, Shadowmage Infiltrator, Hymn to Tourach -> keep (Tamiyo on top was rejected)

T1 me: Swamp - go
T1 Py: Workshop, Fellwar Stone, Sensei's and checking top 3 cards  :-[
T2 me: Swamp from the Top  :) Hymn, he had to discard Mystical Tutor and Key
T2 Py: Bloodstained Mire, Fetch, Top activation
T3 me: Infiltrator
T3 Py: Trinket Mage, Expedition Map
T4 me: Draw Snapcaster, extra-card Infiltrator Repeal - go (he had only 1 handcard left)
T4 Py: Attack Trinket - go // Eot i bounce Mage with Repeal (extra card Toxic Deluge  :(, second dead card)
T5 me: Draw Verdant Catacombs, extra-card Infiltrator Jace, Architect / I play Snapcaster and Hymn leaving him in topdeck-modus
T5 Py: Draw Ghirapur Aethergrid which kills Snappy + Expedition for Tolarian Academy (3 artifacts in play)
T6 me: Draw Batterskull, extra-card Infiltrator Pyrexian Arena / play Batterskull to have a clock
T6 Py: Draw land, Switch Sensei for Demonic and adds Ensnaring Bridge with no hand cards (4 Artifacts in play)
T7 me: Add Strix (extra-card Duress  :() and Jace, Architect which reveals: Spell Snare + Daze vs Mystic Confluence which i took (at first glance I've thought it can bounce permanents  ::), but would have taken it anyway - in the moment I've wanted to cast it I recognized I can't bounce Bridge or Aethergrid  :-\)
T7 Py: Play Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, Clock of Omens (Tezzeret on 5, back on 4 Artifacts in play and me on 16 lp), Aethergrid kills Jace
T8 me: Draw Gitaxian Probe, Transmute Tolaria West for Wasteland, Tap out for Phyrexian Arena (knowing he can use Tezzeret to bring me already to 8 + Grid to 6 lp for a two turn clock)
T8 Py: he doesn't ultimate Tezzeret and gave me two extra cards to find a solution for his ultimate which actually happened with a last-mana-stifle-action  ::)  ;)

nevertheless i was still waiting obviously for any Tutor, Bounce or Needle to get out of this situation anyhow...
strange things happened in next turns till i've finally got Recoil (for Bridge) and win with Creeping Tarpit equipped with Batterskull while i was on 4 lp
... have a look at replays :)

very cool and exhausting (mental and physical) game 5, more than 2 1/2 hours for this session altogether
thanks for the games mate!

here are the replays, # 181377 = g5
http://www.filedropper.com/replaysquarterfinal
Far below the earth

Nastaboi

Nastaboi UW Miracles vs. ChristophO Abzan Pattern combo

3 - 0

I won the roll, got Top in play and answered his first threat. He had just three lands and a Carrion Feeder, so I decided it was safe to tap out for Narset the planeswalker, revealing Mystical. Christoph went to tank as he had Pattern but could not combo out with no other creature, so he just got Titan and Stage-Depths. I had Moat on top but decided to spin anyway on my upkeep to find land drops, but only hit a temple and had to set up for Terminus with Mystical. Next turn I laid down Moat and he went for Marit Lage, but I had Repeal and he conceeded facing Narset ultimate.

Christoph sneaked Sylvan Library below my counters, but failed to draw third land despite paying 8 life and Wall of Blossoms. He got just Viscera Seer next turn and I slammed down Humility. He just proceeded to hit for two turn after turn while I countered some things and made his mana situation more uncomfortable with Wasteland and Back to Basics. Eventually I killed him with boredom.

In third game Christoph mulled to seven containing once again one land, a mana dude and Sensei's Top. I Spell Pierced his top and bounced his mana dude a couple of times. When he tapped out a couple of turns later I showed him Helm-RIP combo.

Short games, one interesting one and two sad mana screws. Better luck next time around!
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)

Vazdru

Quote from: Vazdru on 07-01-2016, 10:28:58 PM
Pairings: (seed)

Quarterfinals:

a) Payron 2 Artifact Combo-Control (one) - Vazdru 3 Dimir Control (eight)

b) Nastaboi 3 Azorius Miracle-Control (four) - ChristophO 0 Abzan Pattern-Rector (five)

c) r4nd0m 3 Azorius Control (three) - Maqi 2 4c Blood (six)

d) goblinpiledriver 2 Azorius Control (two) - Tazi 3 UGr-Scapeshift (seven)

Semifinals:

Vazdru Dimir Control (eight) vs Nastaboi Azorius Miracle-Control (four)
r4nd0m Azorius Control (three) vs TaZi UGr-Scapeshift (seven)

Highlander:

gl to the partipants:

1. Payron - Runner-Up Metagame Masters, Online Champion 2013
2. goblinpiledriver - Champion HL Grand Prix Nr. 8, Runner-up HL Grand Prix Nr. 9, Runner-Up German HL Nationals 2011, Reigning Online Champion
3. r4nd0m - Top 8 + Top 16 Austrian Nationals, Online Champion 2012
4. Nastaboi - Champion Finnish HL Nationals 2011, Runner-Up Finnish Legacy Nationals 2013, Online Champion 2009 and 2010
5. ChristophO - Legacy GP Gent Top 32, German HL Nationals 2011 semifinalist
6. Maqi - Champion HL Grand Prix Nr. 15, Four-times HL Grand Prix Top 8, Runner-Up Metagame Masters
7. Tazi - Top 8 GP Utrecht, Champion HL Grand Prix Nr. 10, Reigning HLL Champion
8. Vazdru - HL Grand Prix Top 8, Runner-Up Online Championship 2014

updated
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Semifinal Nastaboi vs Vazdru will probably take place this Sunday, Feb 14th, 2.00 PM CET
when I take a look at the decklists (http://mtgpulse.com/event/23165#318200) I fear that could be quite a long session  :)

btw. Azorius seems sexy again (at least w/o time-limit) ;)
after four copies of 4c Blood in last year's semis (http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=1076.0), this year Azorius-Mirror in finals still possible
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Far below the earth

TaZi

partly due to my honeymoon holidays we came to the conclusion to play my match vs. r4nd0m one day after the deadline. I hope this is OK for everyone.