enable Karma total (current setting)
2 (18.2%)
disable Karma
8 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 02-10-2015, 02:40:40 PM

Vazdru

"Karma"...as old as the board itself...
the question raised up again (http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=696.0) recently if we can maybe rearrange the Karma-function somehow
there are three options the board offers which are listed in the poll
all the years we used Option 1 but in the course of the discussion about the "facebook-dislike-function" i changed it to Option 2 last week
anyhow it should be a community choice imo

so feel free to vote or comment
the poll is available 14 days, afterwards i will implement the result
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Nevinyrral

I'm only here since 2 weeks or so, but the karma thing was one of the first things I found strange and unnecessary.
Since you mentioned the Facebook dislike topic, I assume that you know that Mark Zuckerberg is absolutely against a dislike button. According to Facebook, a dislike button increases a negative climate, enables cyber mobbing and leads to a decreased writing activity because of the fear of a bad rating.

Last week I downvoted another person for no reason. I don't know this person and what he was writing was not of relevance for me. I just wanted to test the function. After the stated period I upvoted this person again for the same post.
Why is this possible? Why can I up- or downvote the same person for the same post as many times as I like? What is the statement of the karma function?

Especially I find it strange that the rating is not connected to the post, but "mark" persons with it. What does a high karma value say about this person? That he has written many good posts? That he is a nice human being? That he has a persistent best friend that upvotes after each stated period? And what does it say about someone who has an extra high negative karma value? That this person just writes junk posts? That he is an unlikeable retard? Or that this person only got a persistent overly attached or frustrated stalker?

I think the karma function is just unneeded and don't understand its reasonableness in a highlander forum. Because of me you could add a like function like on Facebook, so the fanboys and girls can still have their fun. However the smite function is obviously abuseable and to believe it would be used responsibly is a very optimistic thought. More moderators with format understanding and empathy is more reasonable in my opinion.

Goblin-Diplomaten

QuoteI think the karma function is just unneeded and don't understand its reasonableness in a highlander forum.

I just catched myself trying to upvote your comment ;)

MacGyver

I can't imagine that somebody cares about the Karma-function.

(A new homepage that doesn't give the impression that highlander is dead is considerably much more important.)

Vazdru

Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.