Main Menu

Metagame Masters Berlin Highlander Vol.3 (48 Players)

Started by berlinballz, 09-08-2015, 01:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonytahiti

Izzet ist one of rdw's best matchups and its obvious and there is no question about it.

You have no fast hard clock in izzet, you have no lifegain and you have 3 dead cards (moon, b2b, price). There is an outside chande that b2b can lock down a mishras factory WHILe not sabotaging yourself but i am not going further into that 1% scenario. Rdw has 1 dead card and thats blood moon (which could still prevent izzet from casting cryptic etc., so even bloodmoon is better vs izzet than vs rdw), Price is still quite good since its probably 2-6 damage for 2 mana. For izzet to even have a shot in hell vs rdw you would need something like spellskite into nemesis or something. Rdw eats izzet for breakfast, it toys with izzet, its probably izzets nightmare matchup. when i build izzet, i lay it out in front of me and then smile until i realize that it folds to rdw, rdw is one of the reasons why i wouldnt play izzet in a big tourney. its probably something like a 62 to 38 percent matchup. izzets non existant clock (dont come knockin with that silly rabblemaster, he eats a magma jet quicker than you can blink) gives rdw infinite topdecks to finish you. and from turn 5 on you need hardcounters for all that burn coming off the top, there are not enough hard counters for that. Thats why i asked you, cause i couldnt believe somebody just said that. i thought it was a joke at first.
Winner - Pro HL Cup, Prague 2002
Winner - Highlander Regional Masters, Phuket 2006
Winner - Sunrise Trophy Run, Hawaii 2006
Winner - North Dakota HL Championships 2007
Winner - Tahiti "One And Only"-Cup #3, 2009
Winner - Gio di Gio Seria, Florenz, 2016
Winner - Jail or be Jailed, Berlin, 2017

Maqi

Agree that rdw tradtionally eats izzet. Might have gotten a little less lopsided since double dragon and DtT/TC though.

Vazdru

in my experience RDW had always a good matchup against izzet, in fact a friend of mine never had a chance to beat my RDW in a bo3 with izzet
though i must confess that this experience based on matches which have been played a while ago (2-3 years)
another buddy told me recently that the balance of power changed in favor of Izzet meanwhile...it seems we have to play some more matches to find it out which one is right :)
I'm ready for !

back to the coverage:
i guess if the 4c Blood guy wouldn't have blundered in g3 vs UW he maybe would have reached T8 back-to-back
the "final Storm" was impressive indeed, nevertheless one discard, counter, random gy-hate (Spellbomb, DRS ...) could have made a big difference in those matches
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

W0lf

The "one discard and it's over for tps" line is a little too simple. Discard is not the weapon of choice against tps decks unless you hit yawgmoths will with it, every card he discards isn't lost. It just sits in the grave ready to boost up that storm counter. Hitting a tutor might slow the deck down, but you are nowhere near a save state. Same goes for countermagic (unless it's flusterstorm/Mindbreak trap). A deck like jeskai/izzet needs to have an early thread + more than 2 counterspells to have a "chance" of winning.
The only viable hate is graveyard removal and cards like thalia,gaddog and clique in draw step to give you a safely playable threat ( the chosen card won't be put into his grave either which is particularly useful).

Also the line of the tps deck in the final is the all in one because the academy player had no hate in his deck at all.

Tps has protection and disruption to make sure it can combo against tempo/control decks.

derStefan82

In game 2 of the final I think it was not that easy win as it looked like.

I assume tutoring for wasteland third turn and wasting the Underground Sea would have made a difference.

At this time this was the only B mana source and it looked like that he already used brainstorm to find the fetchland.
So cutting him from black is I think not a bad strategy which at minimum slows him down quite a bit.
With the chance of replay wasteland with Yawg. Will later for me it looked like a not bad line of play.

For sure the artifact deck then still has the problem to find a wincondition which is faster then tps needs to get back.