Main Menu

[HLL]Scoreboard - Season XXIV

Started by Vazdru, 21-05-2015, 09:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Semifinals:

Maqi (4c Blood) vs KOdO13e4st (High Tide)
Tazi (UGr-Scapeshift) vs dsck (Dark Bant / Goodstuff)

plz post the decklist or add it here: http://mtgpulse.com/event/20949#297526 before you play semis
Maqi and Tazi may choose to play first in first game
matches are bo5
if both players agree on "scry-mulligan" before match has been started, using it is ok -> otherwise no scry-mulligan
if you tell us when match takes place you will have some spectators i guess  :)

hf and gl! (@ KOdO13e4st - i guess you'll need it as your recent record vs Maqi/me with 4c Blood in latest Cup and league is 0:6  ;))
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

TaZi

TaZi 3:2 dsck

game 1
=======
I start with 3 lands, yavimaya dryad, goyf, breath of darigaaz aand repeal. dsck has bant charm, swords to plowshares, noble hierarch, wasteland and 3 other lands in hand. I kill the hierarch with the breath and play goyf on the next turn which is immediately sworded. Then my single green source is wasted and I have only steam vents for a lands. He plays oreskos which is quite a serious thread as I haven't found another land and can't play jace. Also on my next turn I don't find another land, but can only suspend ancestral vision. Eventually the game goes on for quite a while but I have to few lands all the time. I die like 10 turns later with 6 lands in play and 6 cards still in hand.

0:1

game 2
=======
I keep 2 lands, brainstorm, goyf, bolt, wood elves and jace. He keeps 5 lands, avacyn's pilgrim and oreskos. I start with tropical into brainstorm, while he draws thrun and plays his elf. I find probe and a fire ice with the brainstorm and can safely play the goyf, as I know he will play oreskos which I can kill together with the pilgrim with bolt and fire ice. Thats how it happens. From thereon I allways know his hand and draws two more lands a deathrite and a clique. In the end that is not enough against the goyf, my own clique and breath of darigaaz

1:1

game 3
=======
I keep a beatdown hand again with goyf, TNN, spellpierce, cryptic command and 3 lands. He mulls and keeps 2 GW lands, 1 elv, witness, mystical, siege rhino and ancestral visions. He starts with the elf and atks with it on the second turn. I play my goyf and he does nothing on his thrid turn. He continious to be quite screwed and slow and eventually I may chose between scapeshift and nemesis beatdown.

2:1

game 4
=======
We both mull once. I keep brainstorm, impulse, into the north, tolaria west, Dark Depths and to ther lands and hope to have a quick 20/20 maybe. Dsck keeps two lands, elf, smiter, edric, eladamris call and jace TMS. He starts with the elf, into edric for which I have no answer. I play ponder on my first, into the north on my second turn and he swings to draw 2 cards on his third turn. Then he plays caryatid and wastes my third land. On my turn I play eternal witness and think about what to take. Eventually I decide to take ponder and not the land as I still have Dark depths and tolaria west in hand. I happens that he plays sowrds to plowshares on the witness and adds voice of resurgence and another elf to the board. On my turn I draw breath of darigaaz, nice one... if I would have taken the land with eternal witness... this way I can't kicker it and succumb a few turns later to massive card advantage.

2:2

game 5
=======
The final game was a really thrilling one. But eventually the cockatrice server died, when I was writing this and killed my replay just in time... As I remember the game was pure beatdown again where dsck had a TNN and I had a goyf. After the goyf was killed he was at 6, I played a coiling oracle and a yavimaya elder. He had only TNN and 5 lands on the board. On his turn he plays witness for fetchland, went to 5, played knight of the reliquary and beat me down to 6 with the nemesis. That was all that I had hoped for. I played arc trail on his witness which also included 2 damage for him, bringing him down to 3. Venser bouncing the knight then won me the game as the beasts "yavimaya elder" and "coiling oracle" pushed the last 3 damage.

3:2

Now I' looking forward to a nice league final (maybe a rematch of the last one ?)

Vazdru

@ Tazi - thanks for the report
can you please add your decklist (http://mtgpulse.com/event/20949#297526) or post it in this thread
thanks in advance
Far below the earth

TaZi

ok, I'm back from holidays and here is my decklist

1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Mana Drain
1 Remand
1 Intuition
1 Mana Leak
1 Memory Lapse
1 Repeal
1 Cryptic Command
1 Into the Roil
1 Condescend
1 Spell Pierce
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Dig Through Time
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Brainstorm
1 Miscalculation
1 Impulse
1 Mystical Teachings
1 Spell Snare
1 Force of Will
1 Counterspell
1 Noxious Revival
1 Preordain
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Serum Visions
1 Gitaxian Probe
1 Sleight of Hand
1 Personal Tutor
1 Ponder
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Flooded Strand
1 Polluted Delta
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Scapeshift
1 Coiling Oracle
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Courser of Kruphix
1 Primeval Titan
1 Maze of Ith
1 Dark Depths
1 Thespian's Stage
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Wood Elves
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 True-Name Nemesis
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Cultivate
1 Into the North
1 Sylvan Library
1 Arc Trail
1 Sylvan Scrying
1 Flametongue Kavu
1 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
1 Volcanic Island
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Taiga
1 Tarmogoyf
4 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Eternal Witness
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Crop Rotation
1 Three Visits
1 Nature's Lore
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Verdant Catacombs
3 Snow-Covered Forest
5 Snow-Covered Island
1 Vesuva
1 Tropical Island
1 Breeding Pool
1 Treetop Village
1 Electrolyze
1 Tolaria West
1 Raging Ravine
1 Ancestral Vision
1 Bonfire of the Damned
1 Yavimaya Dryad
1 Vendilion Clique
1 Windswept Heath
1 Peek
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Fire // Ice
1 Rishadan Port
1 Flooded Grove
1 Badlands
1 Breath of Darigaaz
1 Lightning Bolt

Vazdru

semi-final Maqi vs KOdO13e4st will probably take place Wednesday next week
there have been some technical trouble which lead to this little delay
Far below the earth

Maqi

Finally - after resolving technical difficulties on my side - we were able to play.

Maqi (4c Blood) vs KOdO13e4st (High Tide)

I choose to play.

g1: I have Sylvan Library and two lands. Between three Library activations, 8 life spent and one resolved shuffle through GSZ I finally find my third land on turn six... He combo's me out on his sixth turn iirc.

g2: I have a quick start of Fyndhorn into Courser. He has Withdraw but I rebuild fast by replaying the Elf and a Tidehollow Sculler. The turn after, I drop Sword of Feast and Famine, equip it to the Sculler and attack. With the untap trigger on the stack I feel good because I can drop Ajani afterwards and lock one of his Islands down (he is tapped out at the moment). Then Cockatrice crashes and we can't get back into the game. I ask him if he will give me the match. Since I saw his hand with Sculler I'm almost 100% sure I would have won the game. He agrees and concedes the unfinished game like a true sportsman.

g3: I have Vial, Ooze and Duress but a rather slow hand with not much else. I lead with Vial. He then "counters" my Duress with a Brainstorm. The game drags on from there. I resolve BBE into Thoughtseize. Then he Twisters. After that I resolve an Ajani and drop a Thrun through the Vial. Then I add Elspeth. He Turnabouts to buy time but cannot find the combo in time.

g4: I have T1 Bird, T2 KotR. He has T3 B2B. I wiggle free by searching for a Swamp with the Knight, Demonic for a Plains and Path to Exile my Knight in response to his Jace, TMS trying to bounce it to get a Forest. So with BoP and three basics I can play a rather normal game. My Falkenrath Aristocrat gets rid of his Jace the turn after he uses the bounce, so he could not get value out of the walker. Nevertheless, his B2B just bought him enough time to combo me out after two more turns or so.

g5: My T1 Deathrite accelerates into a T2 Aven Mindcensor. He has T3 B2B again, but I consciously fetched a basic so that I can Pulse his pesky enchantment with my DRS + basic + one untapped land. His Hand has Mystical and Demonic and Dizzy Spell and is therefore super cold to my Aven. He dies to an eot Bolt, DRS activation, my attack step (through a Dizzy Spell for -3/-0) and a final Kolaghan's Command to finish him off.

3:2

I took some mulligans during the games, but didn't have to go down to six. So no Scry-mulls needed this time.

Thanks KOdO13e4st for the (in my opinion) very good games!

Vazdru

the tournament has been started with 12 player and we have the same two in the finals as last time (http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=1084.30)
Maqi will face Tazi in a close match-up between 4c Blood vs UGr Scapeshift
...so let the finals begin  :)
gl & hf 
Far below the earth

Maqi

Finals

Maqi (4c-Blood) vs. TaZi (UGr-Scapeshift)

g1: I choose to play because of swiss standings. My hand is Savnnah, Horizon Canopy, Tec Edge, Noble Hierarch, Kichen Finks, Aven Mindcensor, Vindicate. So, very good. Especially on the play.

I lead with Noble => Finks to have the maximum amount of damage output first and plan on "getting him" with the Aven a little later. On turn three after attacking I deploy a drawn Elvish Mystic and pass with three mana up. He EOT cracks his Flooded Strand and walks right into my Aven.

He has Breath of Darigaaz to kill off my elves. I then just do nothing but attack for the next few turns. Partly because I can't and partly because I don't want to either. Since I know TaZi is UG-based, his hand is very likely stuck with countermagic and other "fluffy" stuff. I want him to make the first move (Xenagos, the Reveler at the ready to jump in if needed).

He has not much but a lone Into the Roil to buy time (targeting my Finks) but it is not enough and he succumbs to the beats.

1:0

g2: I mull a hand of fetchland x2, Reflecting Pool, Duress, Tidehollow Sculler, Lightning Helix and FtK. The hand is kind of playable since it has all the mana I need and a proactive t1 and t2 play but not much else. Early discard is ok against his deck but not exactly backbreaking because he has high redundancy. This hand just doesn't have the clock I like against Scapeshift and that's why I ship it.

The next one is pure gold again whatsoever: Llanowar Wastes, Temple Garden, Deathrite Shaman, Voice of Resurgence, Qasali Pridemage, Eladamri's Call and Vindicate.

He goes Island go and I deploy DRS. He Bolts it on his next turn and adds Ancestral Vision. I drop Voice to ward against potential counters. He mainphases Vendilion Clique (because of Voice) and takes away my Vindicate. I draw Scavenging Ooze and Thrun once I draw for my turn.

I attack my Voice into his Clique and he declines to block (I would have been fine with a trade, since I have gas to pump up the Elemental). Second main, I drop Sc. Ooze and think for a while if to use it right away (with him being tapped out) and playing around Fire/Ice and Electrolyze or playing around Snapcaster (Bolt) and leaving open G. I decide to use it right away because this plays around two of his cards while Snappy is only one.

Sure enough he has the Mage on his turn (topdecks it even!!! Now that I'm watching the replays... :) ) and Bolts my Ooze. Then swings with the Clique and drops Dark Depths (danger...). I draw Courser of Kruphix for my turn and choose to play it over Thrun and Pridemage (with E. Call still in hand). I want to develop my land base but am content enough with Tainted Pact sitting on top of my deck since it is an out to his Marit Lage.

I attack with my Voice and he trades with his Snapcaster. On his turn he drops E. Witness, buys back a land and plays it. Then says go with both his creatures untapped (offering a 1:2 trade on Courser or a 1:1 trade on the Elemental).

I think long for my attacks since Tainted Pact now offers me the possibility of Arc Trail/Zealous Persecution for quick pressure. But I think it will be more valuable as a reactive tool to ward against his Marit Lage. Especially because his Ancestral Vision will go off next turn, I don't think my board will be fast enough. I offer a 1:2 trade with my attacking Courser after deploying my Q. Pridemage. He takes it.

He draws 4, drops a land and passes with 5 mana up. I EOT E. Call. He let's it resolve. I fetch Aven and plan for a longer game. I'm kind of liking my spot because my creatures (Q. Pridemage and Elemental) have free reign. But at the same time he dangerously approaches seven lands and any tutor on Thespian Stage can be problematic.

And that's the moment (with me being tapped out so I can't also play Aven EOT) he Crop Rotates for the Stage. Good that I still have Tainted Pact. Then on my drawstep (I draw Thoughtseize!) he summons Marit Lage (leaving UU up). I'm not exactly sure why he chooses this moment.

I Seize him, which gets Memory Lapsed and then dig deep for Path to Exile to exile his token (about 30 cards left). I attack him.

On his turn he topdecks his needed 6th land for Primeval Titan (ouch, I have no out to this at the moment...). He gets Maze and Raging Ravine.

On my turn I draw... Liliana of the Veil. Nice! That Titan is gone. I attack again.

He takes down my Lili with his Ravine and adds Sakura-Tribe Elder. Then passes. I draw Duress, cast it and see Solemn Simulacrum and Electrolyze. The burning cantrip is gone. And he chumps with his Elder and gets a Mountain with it through my flashed in Aven.

He chooses not to play Solemn into my Aven and passes. I add Thrun and swing. Maze stems the bleeding and Ravine trades with the Elemental, but he is getting low.

He topdecks Fire/Ice to get rid of the Aven and drops Solemn.

Now I make a severe misplay. My board is Thrun and Q. Pridemage. He has Maze and Solemn. We both have one card in hand. His card is unknown to me. I have Tidehollow Sculler.

I am kind of too curious of what he is holding and play the Sculler pre-combat... This is so bad, since he gets another free topdeck by the soon dying Solemn. He only has Cultivate, which I grudgingly take.

I nevertheless have to attack with Thrun, take the Exalted trigger from the Cat Warrior, sac it to kill the Solemn and hit him down to 1.

He drew Coiling Oracle from the Solemn (which I could have snagged with my Sculler :( ) and Sylvan Library for the turn. So he would basically be dead already. However, the Oracle finds him another Oracle (of Mul Daya). So, two blockers and a Maze...

Nice. I think I might lose now but even through Sylvan Library, Mul Daya landdrops and Impulse he cannot find anything in time which can stop my Thrun. A timely topdecked removal on my side ends the game two turns later. Phew... dodged the bullet.

2:0

g3: I open a hand of 5 land, a Sylvan Caryatid and Siege Rhino. This might be a shaky keep against RDW but certainly not a keep at all against Scapeshift. I mull and fan open this: 3 fetches, BoP, Sc. Ooze, Loxodon Smiter, Siege Rhino. Very good pressure hand but not much disruption. Definitely a more than fine keep though.

He opens with Misty Rainforest and I draw... Wasteland! I open Bayou, BoP. He (rightly) fears Aven Mindcensor and fetches EOT for Breeding Pool. Then on his turn he adds Valakut.

Perfect! This indicates a shaky land draw on his side and my Wasteland might just take him out completely (backed up by the tempo gained from the Birds).

I'm thinking about whether I should drop Smiter or wasting his Pool now and dropping Sc. Ooze. I choose the latter because I could just completely wreck him if he has no other blue (or green), which is a little likely because he didn't fetch a basic with his UG-fetchland.

He only has Rishadan Port and Mountains for the next few turns. In the end, Smiter and Rhino join the party and beat down savagely. On his 5th turn he finds an Island and Electrolyzes my Sc. Ooze. But my Thoughtseize takes his last board-interactive spell (Into the Roil) and leaves his hand only with counterspells and Treasure Cruise (which will leave him very little mana next turn).

He finds nothing and concedes to my lethal force.

3:0

Thanks to Vazdru and hitman for organizing the HLL. And thanks TaZi for the nice games! Now we're 1:1 in finals! Maybe we can repeat again, would be nice!

I hope this wasn't too long and too much a wall of text for you. Let me know if these kind of step-by-step reports are appreciated or if I should focus more on specific decisions and abbreviate the rest.

Vazdru

congratz and thanks for the nice report @ Maqi
it wasn't too long btw...maybe if you would have had a 3:2 ;)
thanks to all participants, hope to see you guys next season!
Far below the earth

dsck

Congrats and thanks for the detailed report  :)
dsck90 on cockatrice