[FRF] Fate Reforged

Started by Tiggupiru, 14-01-2015, 02:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiggupiru

Vazdru

thx for sharing, enjoyed reading it

missed reality shift http://mythicspoiler.com/frf/cards/realityshift.html
quite nice card imo and worth to be discussed

i guess Valorous Stance won't see much play, i looks quite unimpressive to me so i wouldn't give it the title of a archetype staple, not even for WW

i'm eager to see if Mardu Strike Leader will see any play outside Limited, I guess i's on the edge in some archtypes but won't make the cut that often

Ugin is great, especially the German misprint  :) (translated "less" = größer als)
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Vazdru on 14-01-2015, 10:08:39 PMmissed reality shift http://mythicspoiler.com/frf/cards/realityshift.html

I didn't miss that. I left out the Reality Shift for the same reason I don't consider Pongify and Rapid Hybridization playable. They don't actually remove anything, you are still left with a threat. Reality Shift even has an extra layer of problems, since we have so many great removal spells for two mana. If you pair blue with anything besides green, you will have access to enough good removal to make Reality Shift unneeded. Also, sometimes you also might flip something even more problematic. Not to mention if your opponent has a way to manipulate the top cards of their library in response, you are actually helping them finding more gas. You could see Reality Shift as a tempo play if you kill their guy on their turn and make them miss combat. But, if you want tempo plays and want to stay in blue, try something like Snap.

Quote from: Vazdru on 14-01-2015, 10:08:39 PMi guess Valorous Stance won't see much play, i looks quite unimpressive to me so i wouldn't give it the title of a archetype staple, not even for WW

You might easily be more right on this than me, but I really, really love having a reasonable instant in that deck. Your game plan is otherwise so straightforward that it really is nice to be able to do some responses from time to time. And the deck is still lacking decent creature removal as O-Rings cost three and while they are still really good in the deck, you need to skip your whole turn to play those. With Valorous Stance, you do sometimes get to play more stuff as well as remove something. I wouldn't play it in any other deck myself and I don't think it has a lot of mileage in the WW even, but right now, I would play it. Might come down to personal preference even, I don't know.

Vazdru

Quote from: Tiggupiru on 17-01-2015, 11:09:40 AM
Quote from: Vazdru on 14-01-2015, 10:08:39 PMmissed reality shift http://mythicspoiler.com/frf/cards/realityshift.html

I didn't miss that. I left out the Reality Shift for the same reason I don't consider Pongify and Rapid Hybridization playable. They don't actually remove anything, you are still left with a threat. Reality Shift even has an extra layer of problems, since we have so many great removal spells for two mana. If you pair blue with anything besides green, you will have access to enough good removal to make Reality Shift unneeded. Also, sometimes you also might flip something even more problematic. Not to mention if your opponent has a way to manipulate the top cards of their library in response, you are actually helping them finding more gas. You could see Reality Shift as a tempo play if you kill their guy on their turn and make them miss combat. But, if you want tempo plays and want to stay in blue, try something like Snap.

lets wait and see  :)
I'm pretty sure Reality Shift is much better than eg Snap which can be only played in High Tide or just a few UX-tempo decks - maybe I'm wrong, time will tell.
Keeping in mind Mystical Tutor is one of the strongest cards in our format actually, it doesn't need to be a downside of Reality Shift to manifest the top card as 2/2 crap.
Furthermore the creature is exiled and not simply bounced (Snap) or destroyed (Pongify, Rapid Hybridization) which is another big advantage in comparison to mentioned cards.

btw. why you call the format German Highlander?  ;) - ok, maybe the initiators of the format are Germans but nowadays our format is no more German than eg Finnish, Slovakian or Czech  :) ... it is just the only real Highlander format at all, call the other ones whatever you like  ;)
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: Vazdru on 18-01-2015, 11:36:32 AM
btw. why you call the format German Highlander?  ;) - ok, maybe the initiators of the format are Germans but nowadays our format is no more German than eg Finnish, Slovakian or Czech  :) ... it is just the only real Highlander format at all, call the other ones whatever you like  ;)

I actually didn't. All the formatting, pictures and title came from Poromagia. I just submitted a raw text and they made it look like I knew what I was doing. :)

But German Highlander is the name for this format in Finland. It creates a clear distinction between EDH and HL, which might have caused some confusion in the past. That distinction is probably not needed anymore, since we now have Commander and HL is more widely known in Finland nowadays, but I guess the name just stuck.

W0lf

stopped reading when you called valorous stance an archetype staple rofl...

Tiggupiru

Quote from: W0lf on 19-01-2015, 07:50:38 PM
stopped reading when you called valorous stance an archetype staple rofl...

I guess it's only fair considering that I stop reading your posts when I see who wrote them.

SirGalahad

Did you read Ainok Guide correctly? It puts the land on top of your library. For me, that's a straight downgrade to Sylvan Ranger.

Tiggupiru

Quote from: SirGalahad on 20-01-2015, 07:20:48 PM
Did you read Ainok Guide correctly? It puts the land on top of your library. For me, that's a straight downgrade to Sylvan Ranger.

Oh, yes. This was actually a misread on my part. It is unplayable. Somebody corrected me in the Finnish forums, but I forgot to mention about it here.