Main Menu

Ladder Tournament 2014 - Reports

Started by Vazdru, 06-01-2015, 04:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Quote from: tonytahiti on 26-01-2015, 11:30:47 PM
If you think 4cBlood has alot of play to it and is highly skill rewarding you need a reality check. "Sequencing spells the right way" is something every deck needs to maximize its power, but when comparing 4cBlood  (a tap out deck, that is just full of "good" cards) to other decks, especially the ones with blue ,it is not a deck that rewards high skill.

great analysis - thank you!
that's why i play it
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Maqi

@tonytahiti - food for thought:

Regarding the complexity of decisions in the UW(x)-4c Blood matchup:

a) UWb's reactivity/Flash-ness/Instants lead to easier decisions because they lend you the ability to wait for your opponents actions and then react accordingly.

b) 4c Blood's proactivity/Sorcery-ness/permanents lead to decisions that have to be made upon assumptions of what your opponent could have and are therefore made in an environment of uncertainty.

In this matchup there is - on a fundamental level - an asymmetric distribution of information, which will typically lead to the UW(x)'s player's decisions being easier.

Point a) actually is a strategic advantage that almost all blue-based decks share. And that is a (major) reason, why blue is such a strong color. In this regard, 4c Blood has a strategic weakness in the matchup.

Note however, the points I made are explicitly in terms of the UW(x)-4c Blood matchup and I do not make a statement about the complexity of decisions in other matchups.

Vazdru

(early) reminder:

Quote from: Vazdru on 15-01-2015, 02:29:56 PM

@ all: feel free to schedule your quarterfinals starting Jan., 17th and no later than Feb., 16th

Far below the earth

Vazdru

first semifinal:

MaQi vs goblinpiledriver with 4C Blood-Mirror-Match

gl & have fun
you may play your match whenever you like
Far below the earth

Vazdru

@ Christoph0

captain kaiiak is available next Wednesday 7 pm
do you have time for playing?
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Quote from: Vazdru on 15-01-2015, 02:29:56 PM

@ all: feel free to schedule your quarterfinals starting Jan., 17th and no later than Feb., 16th
gl & enjoy the tournament!

and plz don't forget: reports and replays are much appreciated  :)

if the quarterfinal ChristophO vs captain-kaiiak isn't played till Sunday I will ask orca- to schedule a game-day and -time!
if both players appear -> match
if one player appear -> that player advance
if no player appear -> coin

@ ChristophO + captain-kaiiak
so plz play your match within the period of grace no later than this Sunday!
Far below the earth

ChristophO

captain-kaaiik has computer problems atm.
I am ready to go^^

I also did not find this topic because I looked in the Online tournament section....

Vazdru

ChristophO (Jeskai-Twin) 1 - captain-kaiiak (4C-Blood) 3

Semifinals:

MaQi vs goblinpiledriver
captain-kaiiak vs Vazdru

Deadline: March, 22nd

Quote from: Vazdru on 06-01-2015, 04:29:30 PM
Pairings: (seed)

Quarterfinals:

a) Payron 1 UWb-Control (one) - MaQi 3 4c Blood (eight)

b) goblinpiledriver 3 4c Blood (four) - hamsert 0 Izzet-Control (five)

c) ChristophO 1 Jeskai-Twin (three) - captain-kaiiak 3 4c Blood (six)

d) Nastaboi 2 UWb-Control (two) - Vazdru 3 4c Blood (seven)

Semifinals:

MaQi 4c Blood (eight) - goblinpiledriver 4c Blood (four)
captain-kaiiak 4c Blood (six) - Vazdru 4c Blood (seven)
Far below the earth

Maqi

dsck

Only one full match report and small details from one other match? :-[
dsck90 on cockatrice

Vazdru

Goblipiledriver and captain-kaiiak will post a report probably
i can add replays of match piledriver vs hamsert too
Far below the earth

Vazdru

Far below the earth

Vazdru

some remarks to quarterfinal piledriver vs hamsert

g1: hamsert has chosen some unlucky lines of play imo, most important in g3 seems for me to handle sylvan caryatid so instead of playing B2B he probably should have used Mana Drain to counter next spell and then clear the board with Rolling Earthquake leaving piledriver with just one or two lands. Another crucial play was suspending Visions + play Ruination (destroying one land) instead of playing Tundermaw Hellkite to kill Ajani right from the spot - afterwards he never got the chance anymore to play the Dragon because ajani kept second mountain tapped - ruination hadn't any bigger impact on the board and Visions never resolved
imo G1 should be a clear win for Izzet but hamsert wasn't in good shape that day otherwise he would have been the winner of g1 imo

g2: risiky hand with no mountains and no cantrips + Dack Fayden, i guess he should take a free Mulligan because he will loose vs an average 4C Blood draw even he is more lucky to find a mountain for Ruination and/or PoP earlier

g3: just unlucky vs good draws of piledriver
Far below the earth

captain-kaiiak

Marax playing UWR Splinter Twin
Captain-KaiiaK playing 4 color Blood

G1
T1: M:scry land. CptK: Mana elf.
T2:M: Chain Lightning Elf. CptK: Lotus Cobra
T3: M: Blade Slicer. CptK: Doran.
T4: M: Landdrop. CptK: Swing Doran. Smiter. EOT: M: FoF,piles: Pestermite A, Chandra, Pyromaster B, Repeal A, Sacred Foundry B, Temple of Epiphany B. M: A
T5: M: Scryland, top. Ponder, draw. EOT: CptK: Helix: Token. M: Fire: Lotus Cobra+ CptK. CptK: Swing Smiter+ Doran, Blade Sliver block Doran. Ajani Vengeant, Tap Marax only blue source.
Win for Captain-KaiiaK

G2
T1: M: sacred foundry. CptK: Mother.
T2: M: Bolt Mother. Seachrome. CptK: Voice, in resp: M: Enlighted Tutor:    Spreading Seas.
T3: M: Spreading Seas: Bayou, no land drop. CptK:swing voice. Sylvam Caryatid, Wasteland: seachrome.
T5: Island, but no follow up, rest of the game screwed
Win for Captain KaiiaK

G3
Screw Captain KaiiaK, M: Splinter Kombo win.
Win for Marax.

G4:
T1: CptK: Taiga: Elf. M: Mystic Monastery.
T2: CptK: Landdrop, KotR. M: Rugged Prairie.
T3: CptK: Taiga: G, KotR: sacc Taiga,in resp M: absent: KotR, KotR target: wasteland. Wasteland: mystic monastery. Witness: wasteland. Wasteland: rugged.
T4: Marax is screwed.
Win for Captain KaiiaK.

GoblinPiledriver

Goblin Piledriver(4C-Blood)  vs  Maqi(4C-Blood)
3:2

We played Saturday at 15:00, but I couldn't post the report till now.

Game1:
On my startinghand I saw 4 Lands with a Wasteland but whithout a red source and 2 red cards which were Arc Trail and FTK, the final playable card was Vindicate. Maqi had taken his Free-Mulligan, so I kept this hand for destroying his mana base twice. As I destroyed his Raging Ravine with my Wasteland Maqi had only another land on hand. The next 2 turn I played Knight of the Reliquary, while Maqi drawed 2 lands in a row and played Qasali Pridemage and Lingering Souls. Turn 4 I played Doran and Maqi destroys my Knight with a Maelstrom Pulse. Maqi played Falkenrath Aristocrat and increased the pressure. I answered with an Arc Trail for a Spirit + Qasali Pridemage, and with an Aven Mindcensor. The following play wof Maqi were Courser of Kruphix and flashback Lingering Spirits. I can answer the Courser with a FTK and play a Birds of Paraidse for blocking Falkenrath Aristocrat. The next crucial play came from Maqi's side by playing Bloodbraid Elf cascading into Liliana of the Veil, which let me only Doran and FTK. As I were down on 3 life I topdecked Thundermaw Hellkite which destroys 2 Spirits and brought Maqi down to exactly one life. In this attack phase I didn't attack with my FTK or Doran for having a reserve for the case that Maqi topdecks another lethal card or had already one as his last hand card. This was a heavy mistake, Maqi would had needed to trade his Bloodbraid for my FTK and had needed to chumpblock his Fyndhorn Elves to my Doran. In this case Maqi would only had his Falkenrath against my Doran and my Hellkite. So with this decision to play it defensive and safely I saved his Fyndhorn Elves and he used it for his Falkenrath which kept my Hellkite away from Maqi's last lifepoint. Then next turn I decided to attack with all 3 creatures leaving him only his Falkenrath, 2nd main phase I play Vinidicate on the Liliana to keeping the pressure(Liliana had 2 counetrs),eot he flashes Aven Mindcensor. In the final turn as I was down on one life Maqi topdecked Arc Trail.  

Game2:
I had a good start with turn 1 Avacyn's Pilgrim and turn 2 Doran. Maqi's first play Qasali Pridemage was then anhilated by my FTK. The next plays were a Scavenging Ooze on my side and a Doran from Maqi's side. The both Doran killed each other, and my Scavenging ooze could grow this way. For the final turns I had a good board position even against a Anafenza and and an Eternal Witness both appearing on Maqi's side of the battlefield.

Game3:
In this game we both had a good start, I had turn1 Aether Vial and turn 2 Sylvan Library, Maqi had turn 1 Llanowar Elves and turn 2 Fauna Shaman + Thoughtseize. Maqi then destroyed my Pilgrim with Lightning Helix, I paid 8 life for finding the turn 3 drop Lingerings Souls + the Aether Vial Drop Sylvan Caryatid. Next Maqi searched with his Fauna Shaman the Scavenging ooze for removing Lingering Souls before I can use flashback. I cast my Demonic Tutor for Arc Trail destroying his Ooze and his Elf, meanwhile I had Anafenza for the Aether Vial. After this Maqi didn't find another land and could only cast Duress and Noble Hierach. With my Bloodbraid Elf I finished the game.

Game 4:
I kept a slow hand with 3 lands Sylvan Library, 2 Garruks and Path to Exile. Maqi started this game quick with turn 1 Noble Hierach and turn 2 Fauna Shaman + Thoughtseize (exactly as in game 3), I had to discard my Sylvan Library. Maqi had Anafenza and Sword of Feast and Famine while I drawed only lands. As I played both Garruks(one after another), I were already in a bad board position and so I lost against Maqi's Tainted Pact fetching him Liliana of the Veil.  

Game 5:
Again we both had a quick start on my side with turn 1 Deathrite Shaman and turn 2 Dark Confidant, Maqi had turn 1 Birds of Paradise and turn 2 Anafenza. Turn 3 I destroyed his Anafenza with a Swords to Ploshares, Maqi played Doran and Noble Hierach. Next turn I revealed Abrupt Decay with my Confidant and played Garruk Wildspeaker + Lotus Cobra + Abrupt Decay for his Doran. Maqi then only answers with an Fauna Shaman. With the untap ability from Garruk I can play Obzedat,G.C. The next card Maqi drawed were the Llanowar Elves with he searched his library for Siege Rhino while his Birds of Paradise(with exalted) kept my Garruk from the Overrun ability. In the final turn I use Demonci Tutor for Path to Exile and attacked lethal.
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.