Main Menu

Ladder Tournament 2014 - Reports

Started by Vazdru, 06-01-2015, 04:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vazdru

Pairings: (seed)

Quarterfinals:

a) Payron 1 UWb-Control (one) - MaQi 3 4c Blood (eight)

b) goblinpiledriver 3 4c Blood (four) - hamsert 0 Izzet-Control (five)

c) ChristophO 1 Jeskai-Twin (three) - captain-kaiiak 3 4c Blood (six)

d) Nastaboi 2 UWb-Control (two) - Vazdru 3 4c Blood (seven)

Semifinals:

MaQi 2 4c Blood (eight) - goblinpiledriver 3 4c Blood (four)
captain-kaiiak 0 4c Blood (six) - Vazdru 3 4c Blood (seven)

Highlander:

goblinpiledriver 3 4c Blood (four)- Vazdru 0 4c Blood (seven)

gl to the partipants:

1. Payron - reigning online champion, runner-up Metagame Masters HL Berlin, semi-finalist online championship 2009, 2011 and 2012
2. Nastaboi - winner of online championships 2009 and 2010, Finnish HL champion, hl council member
3. ChristophO - Legacy GP Top 32, Winner of first HL Capitol Cup, German HL Nationals 2011 semifinalist, hl council member
4. goblinpiledriver - HL GP VIII champion, HL GP IX runner-up, German HL Nationals 2011 runner-up, winner of 4 HLL seasons
5. hamsert - HL GP XI Top 8, HLL season XVII runner-up
6. captain-kaiiak - reigning HLL season champion
7. Vazdru - HL GP XIV Top 8, winner of 2 HLL seasons, hl council member
8. MaQi - 3x HL GP Top 8, hl council member
Far below the earth
Where the demons hunt the souls of those that sleep
In the city of the Vazdru and the Drin
Where the black flame burns inside the palace fountain.

Vazdru

Quarterfinal Nastaboi vs. Vazdru will take place probably next Sunday, 14-16 CET
@ all - plz make sure that you have sent your decklist to Johannes / orca- before you play your first match / thx
Far below the earth

orca-

Missing only the decklist of MaQi :)

Maqi

I'll send it to you before saturday, which will be our game day.

Maqi

Sent it to you, orca.

Here is my new code:
48753b8l

Vazdru

as clarification: FRF isn't allowed / MaQi takes his old code

this post: http://www.magicplayer.org/forum/index.php?topic=1079.0
only refers to upcoming HLL season XXIII but has no influence on our ladder tournament

codes are as follows:

SEAT      PARTICIPANT      COUNTRY      CODE      FEE      RDY   
   1      Payron      Germany      gkevhb9l      YES      YES   
   2      Nastaboi      Finland      3d9gr4on      YES      YES   
   3      ChristophO      Germany      p0cqbkqt      YES      YES   
   4      goblinpiledriver      Germany      9bto2t4h      YES      YES   
   5      hamsert      Germany      888cgm4a      YES      YES   
   6      captain-kaiiak      Germany      tdf41g6g   YES      YES   
   7      Vazdru      Germany      p7O36cf5      YES      YES   
   8      MaQi      Germany      qkt8af9q      YES         YES   

Far below the earth

Vazdru

Nastaboi (UWb-Control) vs. Vazdru (4c Blood)

1st: i've won the roll and kept a medicore hand with Lightning Bolt, Lightning Helix, Domri, FtK and three lands on the play, he takes a free mulligan and kept afterwards a risky hand with one-lander + Ancestral Vision...and missed the second land in his next two draw steps, so Domri resolved while he had Memory Lapse and Logic Knot in hand. Domri reveals Sin Collector and he missed land drop again, next turn Sin Collector revealed the two mentioned cards among StP, Merchant Scroll, Else I, Jace Architect and Kitchen Finks while Merchant Scroll got exiled. As i've drawn Maelstrom Pulse, Golgari Charm and Garruk Relentless but no forth land the game wasn't completly decided ...but next turn when he missed land drop the forth time in a row and i've got Plains for Garruk Relentless, Collector hits for 2. Ancestral resolved, he played Plains + Wall of Omens and discarded some cards...I played FtK and attaked for 4, he played Island and sent Kavu to Plowshares. He countered Lili, but got another 6 damaged letting him drop to 8 lp already. Another wolf for 8 damage on the table + 2 planeswalker + 2x 3 direct damage in hand gave him no outs anymore.

0:1

to be continued    
Far below the earth

Vazdru

replays:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3561032/HLL%20Ladder/Gerry/Vazdru%20Round%201.zip

2nd: He kept 2 Islands, Wall of Omens, Snapcaster, Shakles, FoW, Elspeth Sun, i rejected 5 lander to have following hand: 2 lands, Ooze, Demonic, SoFI, Lili + Vithian Renegades. He gets Tundra into Wall of Omens T2 while I've played Scavenging Ooze. He plays Shakles, i miss 3rd land but got Deathrite Shaman from the top. He tries to take control of DRS and i path him to fetch a Swamp. Next turn I have Renegades which got forced. I got Reclamation Sage from the Top to get rid of nasty artifact. Eot the plays Mystical Teachings into Fact or Fiction. I play Knight otR and his Fact revealed two piles: Brainstorm/Serum Visions vs. Island, Else I, Explovives - he took the last one. Detention Sphere takes Knight out of game. I stuck still on three lands and added Fauna Shaman to the board. Scavening Ooze took care of Mystical Teachings. He plays EE for 2 and pass the turn, in my eot step he sacced EE as i discarded Finks into Eternal Witness. He plays eot Mystical Tutor into Treasure Cruise. In his turn he played Finks which started attacking after Elspeth gave it some wings. From now on he countered my relevant spells and won with Finks + Elspeth with 7 lands in play while I've had still 3 (2 from the beginning and 1 from Pathing my own creature) which means i didn't draw a single land out of about a dozen cards.

1:1

3rd: I kept a nice hand with 2 fetchlands, Inquisition, Hymn to Tourach, Lili, Path to Exile and Loxodon Smiter. Inquisition discards Swords to Plowshares and reveals 3 lands, Negate, Gideon Jura and Dig Through Time. Hymn hit Fetchland + Negate next turn. Missed one land drop and then played Smiter. He plays Treasure Cruise. I played Lili and attacked with Smiter, which got killed by Gideon. Lili started to discard some cards leaving me with an empty hand after i've killed Gidon with Vindicate and played Thrun. He played Restoration Angel end of turn and topdecked Elspeth Sun to get rid of Thrun. I topdecked Bloodbraid Elf but missed playable card (Abrupt Decay). BB Elf killed Elspeth and now i've had the options let him sacrifice Angel or discard his last card (Dig Through Time). I've chosen discard and passed the turn. He found Kitchen Finks and Restoration Angel put Lili down to one. He had the better board position and i haven't drawn anything relevant.

2:1

4th: my opening hand revealed 5x CC1 + 2 lands: Vial, Birds, Duress, Lightning Bolt, Inquisition - i pondered to mulligan but kept this in hope for some good follow-ups. Vial got countered by Mental Misstep. T2 i play Inquisition and Birds. Inquisition took Spell Snare leaving him with Augur of Bolas, Wrath, Terminus, Batterskull and 2 lands (while he had one in play). T3 i play GSZ for Knight of the Reliquary which transformed Plains into Wasteland a turn later leaving him with 2 Mana in play. Furthermore Duress took Demonic (new cards: Jace Beleren). Knight was already 5/5 but i used it eot for fetching Treetop Village to attack with the army a turn later which wasn't a bad idea as he got Swords to Plowshares meanwhile. I've got Eternal Witness and Ooze for some preasure while he stuck on 2 lands. When he played Jace i added Ajani Vengeant to keep 3rd land tapped. Nevertheless he vindicated Ajani a turn later but i've had Falkenrath Aristocrat "in response". As Treetop already made a good job he was on 1 lp after Aristocrats swing. He played Snapcaster for StP Aristocrats but i still had Lightning Bolt to finish this one.

2:2

5th: he kept 5-lander with Preordain and Sphinx Revelation, i rejected my first 7 (4 lands, Swords, Tainted Pact, Garruk Relentless) and had Pilgrim, Hymn, Garruk Wildspeaker afterwards. T1 Preordain found Shakles, i started with Pilgrim into T2 Anafenza but he had Karakas, T3 i played Garruk + Hymn which let him discard Island + Negate after Shakles entered the zone - the forth Island was needed to take control of Anafenza with Shakles. So he took pilgrim with Shakles and attacked my lands with Edge + Bounce Anafenza with Karakas before it could attack again. I've played Lingering Souls + Beast-Token instead of 4 Spirits + option for Garruk's Overrun next turn in fear of a sweeper. Councils Judment took care of Shakles and Garruk went back to 4 loyality. As he had no sweeper but Wall of Omens + Lingering Soouls I had Garruk's ultimate next turn for the win.

2:3

thx for the ggs!
Far below the earth

Maqi

Payron (UWb Control) vs. MaQi (4c Blood)
1:3

Games went 0:1 (Eternal Witness and Helix team up to destroy Jace TMS), 0:2 (curve into Garruk), 1:2 (counter into counter into b2b), 1:3 (can't remember. Screw on payrons side).

Vazdru

interesting, the two top-seeded players both took UWb-Control but 4c Blood took the lead (2:0 / 6:3)
I expect some more 4c Blood players vs. Control - maybe captain-kaiiak and/or goblinpiledriver ...lets wait and see
Far below the earth

Payron

Well nobody can win with screw... I think 4c blood had 3 of 4 games more landdrops then me, with 35 to 37 lands :-/

Maqi

Theoretically, the matchup should be something like 55/45 in favor of Blood imo.

It takes a lot of practice though because there are many non-obvious decisions to be made by the Blood pilot (for example, knowing when to play around countermagic and when not to, how to sequence spells, and which creatures to tutor for when there's no obvious choice etc.).

These things can easily be messed up and even a wrongly fetched land on turn 2 or so may break the game for you.

That being said, the UWb godhand beats the Blood godhand usually. But over the course of many games, I feel that the average draw of blood is better than the average draw of the UWb deck.

Payron

Imo the blood mu vs blood with my uwb ist pretty good would go with 65/35. It is one of the least feared matchups, but well with no mana every deck fails.
I did choose my uwb version for that reasom because i expected alot off blood.

Vazdru

the match-up UWb vs Blood imo strongly depends on the built and the pilot
I must confess I expected Nastaboi playing Control or Combo and modified my Top 8 list from the last GP slightly towards anti-control; especially because ChristophO is a possible opponent in Semis and he will never ever play aggro  ;) that's why I've added cards like Destructive Reverlery / Vithian Renegades / Sin Collector which I wouldn't automatically play in 4c Blood but aren't that bad in a mirror-match as well
although, rather because I thought Nastaboi would play something controllish i took Blood and MaQi did obvioulsy the same as he expected you to play your UWb-Control from Berlin Masters i bet
so from our experience Blood more or less have that 55:45 matchup vs UWb-Control although MaQi lost semis in Hanau exactly against Marcus F Esper / UWb-Control (btw. he lost amongst other because he haven't drawn lands and had to take too many mulligans ;))

btw. in G4 vs Nastaboi I pondered a while what I have to take with T3 Green Sun's Zenith - four cards came into my mind: Anafenza, Eternal Witness, Knight of Reliquary or Courser, in the end i decided betweeen Anafenza (aggo-plan) and KotR (screw-plan), i guess if I would have taken the wrong turn-off at that point, Nastaboi would have won that game and the match 3:1...and believe me, I often take the wrong one  ;) keeping this in mind for a sec...so if you are playing vs Blood in your play-group and have like 65:35 i doesn't automatically means UWb vs Blood has 65:35
Far below the earth

tonytahiti

If you think 4cBlood has alot of play to it and is highly skill rewarding you need a reality check. "Sequencing spells the right way" is something every deck needs to maximize its power, but when comparing 4cBlood  (a tap out deck, that is just full of "good" cards) to other decks, especially the ones with blue ,it is not a deck that rewards high skill.
Winner - Pro HL Cup, Prague 2002
Winner - Highlander Regional Masters, Phuket 2006
Winner - Sunrise Trophy Run, Hawaii 2006
Winner - North Dakota HL Championships 2007
Winner - Tahiti "One And Only"-Cup #3, 2009
Winner - Gio di Gio Seria, Florenz, 2016
Winner - Jail or be Jailed, Berlin, 2017