Main Menu

Highlander tournaments in Frankfurt (Main)

Started by TobiR, 27-07-2014, 03:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TobiR

First report as  part of my introduction to this forum  ;D

6th Day of the JK-Store HL League

Results:

1.  Radloff, Tobias  Green Ramp
2.  Müller, Tobias  4c Blood
3.  Schäffer, Dirk  4c Blood  (K0d013e4st)
4.  Hittel, Matthias  Esper Beats
5.  Korbel, Jochen  Grixis Control (goblinpiledriver)
6.  Eichenauer, Markus
7.  Farnung, Benjamin 4c Blood
8.  Kaiser, Benny  Mono U control
9.  Kropf, Marco
10. Schulze, Jan  RDW
11.Lavaud-Canonne, Olivier
12.Robst, Joachim Jund Midrange
13.Schramm, Markus UR Control
14. Vogt, Christian
15. Zahedinour, Kewan  Dredge

Sry for missing deck types. Maybe someone can refresh my memory.

Match 1 vs. Tobias Müller with 4c Blood

Game 1: He mulligans to six and I'm able to keep him off of red and black mana due to Tectonic Edge, Wasteland and Acidic Slime.  My bigger creatures  win the game.

Game 2: He mulligans to six again but manages to power out Thundermaw Hellkite on turn 3 thanks to Lotus Cobra. I try to race the Hellkite and his follow-up Loxodon Smiter with Thrun and a 5/5 Mistcutter Hydra while Scavenging Ooze and Deathrite Shaman gain me some life (from the chump blocking small ground creatures on either side). He has two turns to draw into burn/removal, but doesn't so I can win this one.

Match 2 vs. Zahedinour, Kewan with Dredge

Game 1: Krovikan Horror teams up with Bloodghast, nether shadow and unearth dudes team up to first kill my elves and then me.

Game 2: He starts dredging early but fails to find relevant stuff on the first couple of tries which gives my big creatures enough time to kill him.

Game 3: His start of crop rotation searching bazaar of Baghdad is crazy (a discussion evokes if this is the best start in the entire format. Opinions??), but I manage to search for scavenging ooze via fauna shaman shortly after. The ooze eats all his relevant graveyard stuff and finishes the game as 10/10 monster.

Match 3 vs. Benny Kaiser with Mono U control

Game 1: I have a fast start with Thragtusk and Deathrite Shaman eating away his life total. He plays Back to basics which shuts of almost all my lands (one forest and elves of deep shadow and birds of paradise to keep deathrite going).  He casts bribery trying to find a creature which has etb trigger to gain life. As I have drawn Pellakka Wurm and already played Thragtusk he opts for wurmcoil engine but realizes that this would give me enough time to kill him with the shaman. So he has to settle for obstinate Baloth as his bribery target, which manages to trade with Thragtusk, but the shaman deals the last points of damage as he fails to find an answer for it.

Game 2: I ramp up early to lot of mana but he makes his lands drop every drop turn while keeping 5+ cards all the time signaling countermagic. I try to keep him busy by casting some spells into his counters when I draw Mistcutter hydra which does its best uncounterable, repeatable 7 damage Fireball impression. He manages to find Solemn Simulacrum and batterskull to block the Hydra but this opens the window for me to play Ruric Thar, the Unbowed which he can't beat in the given situation once it hit the board.

Match 4 vs. Dirk Schäffer with 4c Blood

Game 1: I play a Thragtusk which he kills with swords to plowshares. I manage to deal some damage with the token but he stabilizes and is slowly turning the race in his favour with his freshly summoned Falkenrath Aristocrat. Fortunately for me I draw Ruric Thar which he has to vindicate essentially timewalking himself by using up 3 of his 4 mana while taking 6 damage in a race situation. He doesn't recover from this.

Game 2: I have a slow start after he plays swords on my deathrite shaman and I fail to  hit a land with courser of kruphix several turns in a row. His turn two dark Confidants grants him about one million cards but is kind enough to reveal only high casting costs spells (Thundermaw, Sorin BW) which puts him on dangerously low life. I have an outside chance of winning with his confidant if I sacriifice my board in a gang chump block, but he has the path to exile so knight of reliquary and friends can kill me.

Game 3: I have a sick start of one drop elf into growth spasm into Vraska, the Unseen which kills his turn two bitterblossom. He kills Vraska with Ajani Vengeant which in return gets killed by my elf. I cast Karn Liberated on turn five which eats away his hand cards and threats. He tries to fight back with aven mindcensor (blocking my fauna shaman) und treetop village but a freshly drawn Thrun gives Karn room to breathe and take over the game.

Comments/questions/additions are welcome

Maqi

Your decklist seems innovative. Would be nice if you could share it with us. Preferably upload it to mtgpulse.com (but posting it here would be fine to).

TobiR

Hi. I played the following list (posting it here because I don't have facebook and can't find a way to handle mtgpulse without it):

Green Ramp

Lands (34)
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Wasteland
1 Homeward Path
1 Yavimaya Hollow
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Treetop Village
1 Mishra's Factory
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Taiga
1 Bayou
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
8 Snow Covered Forest
9 Forest
1 Dryad Arbor

Ramp (23)

1 Boreal Druid
1 Noble Hierarch
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Deathrite Shaman
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Elvish Mystic
1 Arbor Elf
1 Joraga Treespeaker
1 Elves of Deep Shadow
1 Avacyn's Pilgrim

1 Wall of Roots
1 Nature's Lore
1 Three Visits
1 Rampant Growth
1 Farseek
1 Explore
1 Into the North
1 Rofellos
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Voyaging Satyr

1 Cultivate
1 Growth Spasm

Tutor/Draw/Cardselection (12)

1 Worldly Tutor
1 Crop Rotation

1 Sylvan Library
1 Sylvan Scrying
1 Fauna Shaman

1 Triumph of Ferocity
1 Summoning Pact
1 Primal command
1 Summoning Trap
1 Tooth and Nail

1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Chord of calling

Removal (1)

1 Maelstrom Pulse

Creatures (23)

1 Scavenging Ooze

1 Courser of Kruphix
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Eternal Witness

1 Obstinate Baloth
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Polukranos, World Eater
1 Thrun, The Last Troll
1 Wickerbough Elder

1 Thragtusk
1 Acidic Slime
1 Batterskull

1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Primeval Titan
1 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

1 Pelakka Wurm
1 Avenger of Zendikar
1 Sylvan Primordial
1 Regal Force

1 Woodfall Primus
1Craterhoof Behemoth
1 Mistcutter Hydra
1 Genesis Hydra

Planeswalker (7)

1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
1 Garruk, Caller of Beasts
1 Garruk, Apex Predator

1 Vraska, Unseen
1 Karn Liberated

The deck is pretty strong imho (Last two tournament 4-0). The worst matchup is UR, because they have arc trail and bribery. I especially like that you manage to fit so many lifegain spells (Thragtusk, courser, primal command, Wurmcoil, Pelakka wurm, obstinate baloth) to make for a great mono red matchup without hurting the other matchups (because the lifegain spells shine in other matchups too).

The deck looked a lot different when Natural Order was still legal (with more big guys like terrastodon and ramp cards like somberwald sage). Now it is shifting more and more to planeswalkers (new Garruk rules, but unfortunately new Nissa doesn't).

I would love to fit in Wild Growth and Utopia Sprawl as more one drop ramp which can't be hit by the common removal spells, but I don't know what to cut (don't want to swap them for other one drops, since you always want to play an elf turn one).

Cards I'd love to include but have no room for:

- Demonic Tutor (maybe for sylvan scrying)
- Sensei's divining top
- Beast Within
- BG or mono G God
- Wolfbriar Elemental
- Reaper of the Wilds
- Kitchen Finks (and if so, then Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers)

If someone has suggestions to make the deck better I'm looking forward to reading them.

Maqi

MMD

Five Garruks in a Highlander deck...hilarious

I would have expected that non-combo ramp would have become unplayable piles without the spoils mulligan but it seems I was wrong here.
Feel free to browse through my MKM account:

http://www.magickartenmarkt.de/index.php?mainPage=showSellerChart&idInfoUser=13199

I also have a huge amount of chinese and japanese foil HL staples not listed yet,  which I would like to downgrade to english foil. Just let me know!

GoblinPiledriver

Rank         Name         MatchPoints         Archetype                  OMW%       
   1         Korbel, Jochen        12              Izzet-Midrange       56,3
   2       Hittel, Matthias         9              Esper Control            68,8
   3       Zanotti, Danilo          9              4C-Blood                 64,5
   4       Radloff, Tobias          9              UW-Control               47,8
   5       Sinner, Denis            9              Esper                    47,8
   6       Zimmermann, Martin       6              Mono-Blue-Control        64,5
   7       Lavaud-Canonne, Olivier  6              Zur the Echanter         60,3
   8       Schulze, Jan             6              RDW                      60,3
   9       Monkmöller, Ruben        6              4C-Blood                 47,8
  10       Göhring, Jan             3              Capatin America          66,7
  11       Müller, Tobias           3              Naya                     64,5
  12       Kropf, Marco             3              Captain America          45,8
  13       Knötgen, Tobias          0              Captain America          50
  14       Kaiser, Benny            0              Esper Helm Combo         38,7

Match 1: Martin Zimmermnan with Mono Blue 2-1

Match 2: Olivier Lavaud-Canonne with Zur the Echanter 2-1

Match 3: Jan Schulze  with RDW 2-0

Match 4: Danilo Zanotti with 4C-Blood 2-1
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

GoblinPiledriver

Rank         Name         MatchPoints         Archetype                  OMW%       
   1         Haas, Martin          12          4C-Blood                 68,8
   2       Lavaud-Canonne, Olivier  9               4C-Staxx                56,2
   3       Sinner, Denis            9               Esper                   58,25
   4       Müller, Tobias           9               4C-Blood                58,3
   5       Franz, Marcus            9               Izzet                   41,6
   6       Farnung, Benjamin        6               4C-Blood                66,7
   7       Hittel, Matthias         6               Esper                   64,6
   8       Logisch, Arne            6               Lands                   61,1
   9       Korbel, Jochen           6               4C-Blood                54,1
  10       Robst, Joachim           6               Jund                    52
  11       Zanotti, Danilo          4               Naya                    47,8
  12       Göhring, Jan             4               Naya                    41,5
  13       Schulze, Jan             3               RDW                     47,8
  14       Kaiser, Benny            1               Izzet                   47,9
  15       Kropf, Marco             1               Captain America         47,1
  16       Dichter, Leon            0               Jund                    75

Match 1: Danilo Zanotti with Naya  2-0

Match 2: Olivier Lavaud-Canonne with Staxx 1-2

Match 3: Jan Schulze  with RDW  2-0

Match 4: Matthias Hittel with Esper  1-2
Throw enough goblins at any problem and it should go away. At the very least, there'll be fewer goblins.

GoblinPiledriver

Rank         Name         MatchPoints         Archetype                  OMW%      
  1         Radlof, Tobias         12         Green Ramp + BR-Splash   58,3
  2       Müller, Tobias            9             4C-Blood                 66,7
  3       Schäfer, Dirk             9             4C-Blood                 64,5
  4       Hittel, Matthias          9             Esper                    62,5
  5       Korbel, Jochen            9             Grixis-Tempo             47,8
  6       Kaiser, Benny             6             Mono Blue Control        68,8
  7       Schulze, Jan              6             RDW                      61
  8       Farnung, Benjamin         6             4C-Blood                 54
  9       Eichenauer, Markus        6             UR-Control               47,8
 10       Kropf, Marco              6             4C-Blood                 37,25
 11       Vogt, Christian           3             UR-Control               dropped
 12       Robst, Joachim            3             Big Jund                 65,3
 13       Lavaud-Canonne, Olivier   3             4C-Staxx                 52,8
 14       Schramm, Markus           3             Izzet-Control            45,8
 15       Zahedinour, Kewan         3             BG-Dredge                dropped

Match 1: Matthias Hittel with Esper  0-2

Both games ended very close by Matthias removing the final blocker or attacker. So both games ended in his favour.

Match 2: Olivier Lavaud-Canonne with Staxx 2-0

Game 1: I countered all of Olivier's key spells and burned the final damage very early(than expected by Olivier).

Game 2: At the beginning I didn't had good aggresiv creatures and Olivier didn't had manastone acceleration. Olivier played the Trinisphere and I had Phyrexian Arena, Bitterblossom and Jace, the Mind Sculptor. i couldn't played much spells but had always 3 mana to counter the game winning spells of Olivier. At the end he fetched with Transmute Artifact his Crumbling Sanctuary which I had Venser for it.

Match 3: Kewan Zahedinour with GB-Dredge  2-0

Game 1: Kewan was medium-low on mana and I had Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver getting quick(3 turns) his Venegvine. Kewan had Necromancer's Stockpile producing him several 2/2 Zombies. Ashiok produced his Woodland Changeling and I burned in combat a Zombie for my Venegvine doing the 2-1 Swap. The Vengevine made enough damage for the final burn spell finish.

Game2: Kewan had this time only 2 lands and dredged not the right cards to Face several creatures from my side. At the end I Force of Will'd his Mesmeric Orb a two turns before my victory so that no creepy thing can happen.

Match 4: Benjamin Farnung with 4C-Blood  2-1    

Game1: Benjamin had a good line of play and his final Elspeth, Knight Errant came with 8 damage through.

Game two and three were much the same, I had counters for his high drops and my Thundermaw Hellkite/Stormbreath Dragon made unhandled enough damage for the final burn spell to finish the game.

GoblinPiledriver

Rank         Name             MatchPoints       Archetype                     OMW%     
   1       Hittel, Matthias         12             Esper                    68,8
   2       Zimmermann, Martin        9             Mono Blue Control        62,5
   3       Bausch, Joshua            9             UGB Tempo                58,3
   4       Müller, Tobias            9             4C Blood                 54
   5       Zanotti, Danilo           6             Naya                     64,5
   6       Kropf, Marco              6             4C Blood                 58,25
   7       Korbel, Jochen            6             4C Planeswalker Staxx    54
   8       Dahmen, Mark              6             RG Ramp                  47,8
   9       Lavaud-Canonne, Olivier   6             5C Staxx                 45,8
  10       Logisch, Arne             4             Captain America          43,6
  11       Zahedinour, Kewan         4             Artifacts Synergy        37,3
  12       Tetzlaff, Leonard         3             GW Maverick              47,9
  13       Schulze, Jan              3             RDW                      45,8
  14       Robst, Joachim            0             Big Jund                 52,1

Match 1: Leonard Tetzlaff with GW Maverick 2-0

Game 1: Leonard played several creatures but my Tezzeret, the Seeker and Elspeth, Sun's Champion made the game.

Game 2: Leonard conceded after my Wilfire destroyed all his creatures and lands.

Match 2: Joshua Bausch with UGB Tempo 0-2

Game 1: Joshua countered all my important spells and won with a Tarmogoyf.

Game 2: On a developed board I played Wildfire, Joshua played end of main phase Boon Satyr. I didn't found in time the mana for a solution for his Boon Satyr.

Match 3: Jan Schulze with RDW 2-1

Game 1: At 8 life I played Crumbling Sanctuary, a  few turns later Entreat the Angels for 5.

Game 2: I stopped the opening assault, but faced Price of Progress.

Game 3: As I was on 4 life I could assemble the Thopter Foundry combo.

Match 4: Tobias Müller with 4C Blood 1-2

Game 1: Tobias could remove all my Planeswalker and attack me with cheap and efficient creatures.

Game 2: As I had 2 planeswalker I can resolve Devastation, after this I had all the permanents on the board.

Game 3: I can assemble Thopter Foundry Combo, but Tobias destroyed my Foundry as I had only 4 Thopter tokens. He played then Obzedat, Ghost Council where I had Maze of Ith. 2 turns before my victory with the Thopter Tokens Tobias topdecked Wasteland and killed my with the Obzedat.

Tabris

What kind of esper is that, artifact or simply midrange/control?

Promole

The esper list is basicly midrange/tempo. As we run this tournament in Frankfurt monthly I try to get some decklists in the future to post them on mtgpulse.

K0d013e4st

Rank         Name         MatchPoints         Archetype                  OMW%      
  1       Korbel, Jochen          12              URW                      62,5
  2       Klein, Timo              9              WW                       58,25
  3       Hittel, Matthias         9              BUG                      58,25
  4       Logisch, Arne            7              UW(b)Helm                47,83
  5       Schwing, Florian         7              URW Twin                 43,58
  6       Schäffer, Dirk           6              Dreamhalls               72,91
  7       Müller, Tobias           6              4-col Blood              64,5
  8       Schallenberg, Stephan    6              RUG Twin                 49,83
  9       Deutscher, Markus        6              Elves                    47,75
 10       Kaiser, Benny            6              MUC                      41,5
 11       Kropf, Marco             3              4-col Blood              58,33
 12       Smeltz,Christopher       3              ???                      45,75
 13       Robst, Joachim           3              Jund                     41,5
 14       Di Pancrazio, Marc       0              RDW                      56,16

Promole

HL Touranment Frankfurt 14.02.2015

1. Benjamin Farnung 10 Esper Control
2. Marco Kropf 9 4C blood
3. Jochen Korbel 9 4c blood
4. Matthias Hittel 9 Sultai Tempo
5. Nils Huther 7 Mono Black Aggro
6. Arne Logisch 7 Creatureless Esper
7. Dirk Schäffer 6 Izzet Control
8. Florian Schwing 6 Jeskai Twin
9. Markus Deutscher 4 Elves
10. Tobias Müller 3 4c blood
11. Tobias Knötgen 3 Jeskai
12.  Daniel Szabo 3 ?
13. Torben Gräfe 0 Enchantress

Promole

HL Tournament 14.03.2015

1. Matthias Hittel 12 Temur Scapeshift
2. Marco Kropf 12 4c blood
3. Olivier Lavaud-Canonne 12 Green Esper
4. Jochen Korbel 12 4c blood
5. Benjamin Farnung 10 Esper Control
6. Tobias Müller 10 4c blood
7. Arne Logisch 9 Creatureless Esper
8. Patrick Ravano 9 Sultai Reanimator
9. Tobias Radloff 9 Mono Green Ramp
10. Markus Deutscher 7 Bant Midrange
11. Florian Schwing 7 4c blood
12. Marvin Ebert 7 Gruul Aggro
13. Danilo Zanotti 6 Naya Midrange
14. Dirk Schäffer 6 4c Oath Reanimator
15. Benny Kaiser 6 MUC
16. Timo Klein 6 White Weenie
17. Hanfried Ohmayer 4 Jeskai
18. Christopher Smeltz 3 Jeskai
19. Jörn Hintze 3 Mono Black Aggro
20. Tobias Knötgen 3 Jeskai
21. Nils Huther Mono 0 Black Aggro
22. Daniel Szabo 0 5c Goodstuff

Thanks to TaZi for sharing his Scapeshift list. With few changes i managed the tournament. With 22 participants a new record for our monthly league.