Main Menu

Highlander Finnish Nationals

Started by pyyhttu, 10-06-2014, 10:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TobiR

Can someone please explain to me how the high tide deck consistently manages to kill the opponent? As far as I can see the only win conditions are Blue Sun's Zenith and Braingeyser. This strikes me as extremely hard to pull off if you don't manage to accumulate infinte mana with high tide/palinchron. Especially in situations where the high tide player is under pressure and has to try to go off in turn 6 or 7 it strikes me as highly unlikely that you can gather enough without palinchron to let the opponent draw 80+ cards.

Am I missing something? Can you only combo off with palinchron?  ???

This is not meant to be hateful. I'm just fascinated by this deck.  ;)

Nastaboi

Barring beating down with random critters (usually accompanied by B2B lockdown) yes, you can only combo off with Palinchron. But it is much easier that it might seem out. When going off you just chain draw spells and land untappers until you find Palinchron, which becomes pretty academic after you hit a critical mass of both. The deck can often go off as early as turn 4 when needed, I have done it dozens of times. You just need to recast Tide at some point and suddenly you won't need six lands to go infinite any more. A friend of mine even managed a turn three kill once.

Some people play Emrakul or other form of training wheels that do nothing until you have started to go off, but I strongly advice against it. Don't give in to the fear.
Quote0:13:51 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi plays Invincible Hymn from Hand
0:14:25 [Nastaboi] Nastaboi's life total is now 221 (+213)